What are your tips/suggestions for...

Options
people (like me, for instance:) who would love to walk but doing so presents a degree of difficulty (I walk with a cane, and consider myself something along the lines of the weeble-wobble people that Fisher Price makes).

I fell (again) yesterday, and have to admit that even though it sounds funny (you know the commercials..."I've fallen, and I can't get up")...it ain't so, when it happens to be you and its the truth.

I don't want to lay all my medical maladies on you, so let's just say I've had two strokes and I have a lot of them to deal with. Are there any simple things that I could do?

Replies

• NanaWubbie
    NanaWubbie Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Hi...You have mentioned past strokes....and that you walk with a cane. Do you have other conditions that affect you mobility and balance? Osteoarthritis? Osteoporosis? What is your current fitness level? Walking is one of the best things you can do, but if you have balance problems, finding someone to walk with can be a huge benefit. Do you have access to a gym? A stationery bicycle or a treadmill can help because they usually have something to hold on to. Do you have steps in your home? When I first started trying to get in shape,I walked up and down the stairs of my home...1 time the first time, 2 times the next, 3 times the next....it did help improve my stamina, and my balance. There are lots of simple strength training excercises you can do at home, but the cardio can by a little tricky. Try watching TV while hula-hooping!!!
  • raelbee
    raelbee Posts: 219
    Options
    I've heard that there are cardio exercise videos available on youtube that target the upper body only. You can still get in a good cardio workout sitting in a chair using your arms and upper body.

Good luck, and take good care :)
  • raelbee
    raelbee Posts: 219
    Options
    I just did a quick search for chair cardio and found this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3jhx4F0oAc

He certainly has a lot of energy :)
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Without exercise you have to eat very little and it takes a real long time. Perhaps a Yoga DVD? I have a Yoga for Weight Loss (Beginners & Beyond) that you may be able to do? If nothing else, I have also seen those little stationary bikes that you use while sitting in a chair? Just trying to come up with some ideas for you. Best of luck!

Swimming is a GREAT IDEA! Low impact. You don't even need to know how to swim! Just walk around as the water provides resistence. I do water aerobics with resistance equipment - you could work up to it!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Do you have a community recreational facility near you? Perhaps they have a pool that you could do laps in (very low impact on joints), and they probably would have workout equipment too, so you could try an elliptical (usually has handles, so you're not going anywhere), and weights to make your body stronger & not so unsteady :)
  • Ms_Natalie
    Ms_Natalie Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Hi...You have mentioned past strokes....and that you walk with a cane. Do you have other conditions that affect you mobility and balance? Osteoarthritis? Osteoporosis? What is your current fitness level? Walking is one of the best things you can do, but if you have balance problems, finding someone to walk with can be a huge benefit. Do you have access to a gym? A stationery bicycle or a treadmill can help because they usually have something to hold on to. Do you have steps in your home? When I first started trying to get in shape,I walked up and down the stairs of my home...1 time the first time, 2 times the next, 3 times the next....it did help improve my stamina, and my balance. There are lots of simple strength training excercises you can do at home, but the cardio can by a little tricky. Try watching TV while hula-hooping!!!

wow...amazing answer!!

Listen to your body...don't push too far! Maybe you can chat with your GP about what exercises you can do? If not, go and see a physiotherapist and ask them....you CAN lose weight by counting calories, and make sure you don't go below what MFP recommends!

Natalie :flowerforyou:
  • megsta21
    megsta21 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    What about Vibration machines??

All you have to do is turn it on and hold on, while trying not to get turned on!!! hahaha jks! =)
  • Shawna_831
    Options
    I work for Duke and the Doctor. They have a national health talk show. They are husband and wife. She is a weight loss doctor and he owns Peachtree Natural Foods. You can call into the show Monday-Friday and speak to them (on-air) or email them from their website.
    I am not trying to promote their show but I know that Doc gets tons of calls from people who have had strokes, need to exercise and have a list of medical issues. They are all about the natural way to do everything. I'm not sure how much weight you have to lose and if that is why you walk with a cane. If you don't want to call in and be on the radio then please email them for help.

http://dukeandthedoctor.com (website)

You can find the link to listen to the radio show on line and when they get the ustream finish you can watch live on line.

Good luck!
  • Ms_Natalie
    Ms_Natalie Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    What about Vibration machines??

All you have to do is turn it on and hold on, while trying not to get turned on!!! hahaha jks! =)

naughty girl! hahahaha :love:
  • stringsNlinks
    stringsNlinks Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I just did a quick search for chair cardio and found this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3jhx4F0oAc

He certainly has a lot of energy :)

This is why I love MFP....you even went to the trouble to find a link for this FP - Very cool, nice of you!
  • angiereid
    Options
    Do you have a community recreational facility near you? Perhaps they have a pool that you could do laps in (very low impact on joints), and they probably would have workout equipment too, so you could try an elliptical (usually has handles, so you're not going anywhere), and weights to make your body stronger & not so unsteady :)

the same thing i would have said
  • lizzys
    lizzys Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    frist is a healthy diet:noway: you have to cut way back on your fat intake :huh: you allready have had to strokes.that not a joke you need to get your diet in order . you also can join a gym . where they have a pool and classes for you to take.this will help with you legs joints and muscles so that you can walk better look for dvds that have stretches on tham good luck and make yourself heathy
  • jantawa
    jantawa Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I didn't truly understand what a stroke was until I had one. Unlike a heart attack, stroke is an attack of the brain, and the brain is in charge of all the functions that keep your body alive. May is Stroke awareness month, and even though we are way past it, as their poster child (jk) (having had both strokes in the month of May), I want to make sure everyone is aware of the signs.

* F=Face--ask the person to smile. If one side of the face appears crooked or drooping this person may be having a stroke

* A=Arms--ask the person to lift both of his or her arms in the air--if he or she has difficulty with one arm this too might be a sign that this person is having a stroke

* S=Speech--ask the person to speak. If his or her words are slurred or they are unable to speak, they might be having a stroke. Also ask them to repeat a sentence (rather than a question that requires a yes/no answer).

* T=T is for time. If any of the above symptoms are present you must call 911 immediately in order to make sure that this person reaches the hospital FAST.

tPA is a potent treatment for stroke which is not effective unless it is given within three hours of the onset of stroke symptoms.

Unfortunately, both of my strokes were followed by seizures, and I did not receive it
  • lizzys
    lizzys Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I didn't truly understand what a stroke was until I had one. Unlike a heart attack, stroke is an attack of the brain, and the brain is in charge of all the functions that keep your body alive. May is Stroke awareness month, and even though we are way past it, as their poster child (jk) (having had both strokes in the month of May), I want to make sure everyone is aware of the signs.

* F=Face--ask the person to smile. If one side of the face appears crooked or drooping this person may be having a stroke

* A=Arms--ask the person to lift both of his or her arms in the air--if he or she has difficulty with one arm this too might be a sign that this person is having a stroke

* S=Speech--ask the person to speak. If his or her words are slurred or they are unable to speak, they might be having a stroke. Also ask them to repeat a sentence (rather than a question that requires a yes/no answer).

* T=T is for time. If any of the above symptoms are present you must call 911 immediately in order to make sure that this person reaches the hospital FAST.

tPA is a potent treatment for stroke which is not effective unless it is given within three hours of the onset of stroke symptoms.

Unfortunately, both of my strokes were followed by seizures, and I did not receive it
    thats a good thing listing the signs and symptons everyone should also know that the same things that brings on stroke brings on hart attacks the number one cause is fat obesity
  • KristenStone
    KristenStone Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your post on the awareness signs! I was alone with my grandma when I was 8 and she was talking about things that didn't make sense. Luckily I was a smart enough kid to get my aunt on the phone and tell her to get her booty over there asap! My grandma suffered a grand mal seizure that night and almost died. My grandma (although young at the age of 62) has suffered so many health problems and several back surgeries. She falls when she walks and falls out of her bed often when she is sleeping and can't get back up. Witnessing this, I wanted to tell you I definitely feel for you. Her GP suggested a stationary bicycle as another poster has mentioned and she did have some success with it, however it was too much for her legs because they were just not strong enough to sustain. My suggestions would be to get an actual walker to balance with. Its great! And it even has a seat so you can stop and rest. Also, there are several sit down work outs like chair workouts with mild resistance. Just a thought. :) God bless.
  • jantawa
    jantawa Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Don't mean to switch the topic over to stroke...but as Lizzy said obesity is a factor, but it is not the only one; many young people, and even babies can have a stroke (when they haven't even had a chance to become obese yet).

Some risk factors are the same for men and women:

* a family history of stroke
    * high blood pressure
    * high cholesterol
    * smoking
    * diabetes
    * being overweight
    * not exercising
  • themyriadthings
    themyriadthings Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Tai Chi can be very helpful for people who've had strokes. There is even a health recovery version of the tai chi set that can be done while seated. The Taoist Tai Chi society offers classes many countries in the world - if you are interested to see if there's one near you, here is the link:

http://www.taoist.org/content/standard.asp

All the best to you!
  • alochami
    alochami Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I would definitely talk with your doctor before doing any new exercise program. I found an article for you. Physical Activity and Exercise Recommendations for Stroke Survivors: Summary of Key Points

http://circ.ahajournals.org/cgi/content/full/109/16/2031/TBL2

The main take home message from this article is this: It is recommended that all stroke survivors undergo a preexercise evaluation (complete medical history and physical examination, usually including graded exercise testing with ECG monitoring) before they initiate an exercise program.6,48
  • iluvwdw
    iluvwdw Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    If you can, I would def recommend tai chi, my grandmother teaches it and says she had people of all abilities take that class. It is a very good way to get in shape. :) Not stressful ont he body. But check with your dr first. Good luck :)
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    I take aquafit and we have several people who use canes to walk. I agree it is important to have input from your doctor first.