5 lifestyle mistakes to STOP making

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Counting calories might work for people to regain control of portion size, bit imo it's not the answer long term. You need to think about nutrition too and not get tied to some arbitrary number. I see so many diaries on here where they are under their calorie 'budget' and celebrating this fact, but they're eating absolute crap.

LOL…

define "crap"…

There is no "bad" food or "good" food..there is just food that your body uses for energy…If people are eating in a deficit then they will lose weight. Maybe these people are just trying to lose weight and are not eating for body recomp goals? Maybe you should figure out there goals before you just blast them….

what is the answer long term? Just guessing how many calories you are consuming and the wonder why you have slowly gained back five pounds over a year?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    They say "no" to counting calories? It helped reteach me portion control and it's a heck of a lot more effective than general suggestions that may or may not work for most people. As to breakfast, why would I eat if I'm not hungry?

Hmm I must have missed that.

Early morning reading comprehension fail I guess.

Anyway counting calories has worked out awesomely for me. :drinker:
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Counting calories might work for people to regain control of portion size, bit imo it's not the answer long term. You need to think about nutrition too and not get tied to some arbitrary number. I see so many diaries on here where they are under their calorie 'budget' and celebrating this fact, but they're eating absolute crap.

How's the weather up there on that horse of yours?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

What makes you think that a person who counts calories long term isn't concerned with nutrition?

Also define crap.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Your gym thinks counting calories is Extreme?
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options

Lolz
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    1. The body does need sleep to recover, especially from strenuous activity, but you can still lose weight on with lack of sleep.

2. Obviously if you are a couch potato you'll struggle to stay healthy. But you can still eat on a deficit, workout for a couple hours a day, and still watch TV. Just don't snack too much while you do it.

3. IMO it doesn't matter when you eat. If I eat breakfast I still eat about the same amount for lunch and have less calories to work with for the rest of the day.

4. This I do agree with, alcohol and soda are just empty calories.

5. Doing 60 minutes of intense exercise every day will burn you out too fast. Find an exercise you enjoy doing
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options

Lolz

ROFLCOPTER
  • rugged1529
    rugged1529 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Well, they are wrong about something. If you skip breakfast, BUT you are counting calories, you won't over eat. Lol. So, yeah. Why is counting calories stressful? It's easy. It's the only method that works for me.

that^
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Bah, another rubbish weight loss article. I just laugh when people say not to count calories at this point.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Well, they are wrong about something. If you skip breakfast, BUT you are counting calories, you won't over eat. Lol. So, yeah. Why is counting calories stressful? It's easy. It's the only method that works for me.

This^^

Counting calories is only as obsessive as you make it. I could see it becoming triggering to someone with a history of disordered eating, but aside from that, it's perfectly healthy and logical to track what goes into your body.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    People need to do what works for them. One thing that works for one person isn't going to be sustainable long term for another.

I really don't like the tone of the email in that it asserts that "mistakes" are being made and that a person can't have success unless they "stop" doing these things.

I have had great success, and I generally fail at doing most of it. My diet's pretty good and I have really intense workouts, but I eat sugar with abandon once I hit my nutrition goals.
  • slimmalikah
    slimmalikah Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Good advice for a newby!!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    In to find later when I come back from the grocery run.
  • NiikouruDesu
    Options
    Definitely agree with getting adequate sleep and breakfast
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is breakfast whether it's 7 am or 11 am. Some flawed study from years ago is why this one won't die...I haven't had a traditional early morning breakfast in a long time.

I only eat before noon if I'm making something special for my son on a weekend, or if someone else is making something special for me, so maybe a few times a month. Hasn't hurt me. Really, the only thing I agree with in that article is the sleep thing. My gym is awesome, but I unsubscribed from the newsletter a long time ago.

Find some people who have been on here a while AND who have had success and ask what they did. Take what works for you from that and be consistent with it.
  • msdeb424
    msdeb424 Posts: 36 Member
    Options

Lifestyle Mistake #2: Too Much TV Time: Many people are in the habit of sitting in front of the TV for hours on end after a stressful day at work. Yes, you may be worn out and need a break, but sitting on the couch, zoned out, watching TV is not the way to lose inches.

If you must watch the evening news or see your favorite show, use the time to burn a few calories. Keep some hand weights next to the couch and work your biceps and triceps. Stand up and do some squats or lunges to work your legs and buttocks. Get on the floor and do some sit-ups to tone your abs or push-ups to tone your arms.
    Great article! I'm going to start doing this. Thanks for sharing. :flowerforyou:
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    It's a decent list of things that could probably help total beginners. But, and this is just my opinion, I don't think having a mediocre audience justifies giving them mediocre advice. Telling people to stop watching so much TV and work out intensely every day and don't skip breakfast doesn't address the root of the problem: they eat too much.
  • kjo9692
    kjo9692 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I think people who see the breakfast point as bad is not reading thoroughly. They say the issue is not that OMG EAT BREAKFAST OR YOU'LL BE INSTANTLY FAT. The issue is that a lot of people are so hungry if they skip breakfast that they tend to overeat during lunch. This applies to people who DON'T count calories. This was one of the biggest issues I had before. Now, I always have breakfast and when lunch time comes I'm not really that hungry. However, if I were to skip breakfast one of these days I'd still try to calm down my inner monster and eat within the calories that I'm supposed to be, but still I'd be really hungry!

They are just trying to point out a common habit, not something that will lead you to failure.
  • breeshabebe
    Options
    It's a decent list of things that could probably help total beginners. But, and this is just my opinion, I don't think having a mediocre audience justifies giving them mediocre advice. Telling people to stop watching so much TV and work out intensely every day and don't skip breakfast doesn't address the root of the problem: they eat too much.

Agree with all of this. I don't think this is really bad advice...just not great advice.