Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

regarding "starvation mode"

i understand that the body eventually detects that one is dieting after a few weeks, thus it perceives this as a starvation period so the body eventually decreases its metabolism and weight loss plateau or is minimal.

1. is there a way to prevent this phenomenon? is it logical that losing weight gradually but consistently should do the trick instead of large amounts of weight loss, then hitting the plateau?

2. on the average, how many weeks after starting your diet does this occur?

3. when you do hit the plateau, what do you do to get back losing weight again?

thanks!

Replies

• SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Starvation mode, as its commonly thrown around on the forums, is a myth. Eating in a deficit will result in weight loss. I do recommend finding a sustainable deficit, however. The less aggressive, the more likely you are to stick it out for the long run and not cheat or be compelled to give up. People reach plateaus for a few reasons.

Weight loss is not linear, so do not expect every week to result in loss. Starting a new exercise, sodium intake, and digestion can someone's mask a potential scale loss. If over a few weeks the scale won't budge two places need to be looked at: exercise calorie burns and food logging accuracy. Many overestimate calorie burns from exercise or portion incorrectly (highly recommend a digital scale to weigh any non liquid items if this happens).

In regards to real starvation mode. There is adaptive thermogenesis. But it is not what is touted around the forums so often. I had lost weight for an 8 month period without a stall of more than week, to put it into perspective. I think generally if this phenomenon occurred bumping calories to maintenance or zigzagging calories is what I've seen people suggest. Good luck!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

This is a great read and a good place to get started^
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,123 Member
    No, plateau's are just rest areas where people gather to talk about how much more they ate then they thought.:bigsmile:
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    I agree with SuargyLynx. The way to avoid adaptive thermogenesis is to 'calorie cycle'- this is where you zig-zag your intake. Somedays more (or much more) , some days less- make it irregular, not following a specific pattern- throw in some fast days if you want to. When I do this I add up the calories at the end of the week, rather than each day- to ensure that I'm still on track- and I do plan it the week before.
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Starvation mode is a myth. Why people keep this going is beyond me.
  • Deadlay
    Deadlay Posts: 135 Member

Myth and defies physics...or math...whatever science applies but you can't make something out of nothing. Well, you can, but that relates to anti-matter and space and stuff.

Anyway, myth.
  • 4Healthyliving
    4Healthyliving Posts: 16 Member
    Hi there my name is Sharon. to answer your question about how to prevent the starvation syndrome.
    Stuff your self constantly with fruits and vegetable. Eat every two hours. In most cases it take more calories for your body to break down vegetable, especially raw than the calories you are eating, thus you keep your metabolism (the fire in the furnace) dialed on high. AgingWithoutDisease.com
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member

Some people look for excuses as to why they are not losing weight...others look for excuses to eat more.

Can we eat at an unhealthy deficit...of course but usually people don't last long enough at those low deficits to be in "starvation".

When I first started I had a goal of 1200...most often (according to my inaccurate counting) I was below that 1200. I was hungry...but a long way from starving!

I also think that some people like to throw around..."I am in starvation mode"...as if it is some kind of status symbol.

Please forgive me all...I am just in one of those ranting moods this morning...I have no patience for the "one size fits all" and...well...a whole lot of other stuff. I think I need a walk...come back when I can "be nice".
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    I think the term "starvation mode" is a simplistic way to talk about adaptive thermogenisis. My understanding is the body is really good at homeostasis. If you eat 800 calories every day, you'll lose weight, but eventually your body will adapt to function at that level of energy consumption. You'll still lose weight, just slower than you did before, because your body has in many way imperceptivly adapted to the lower energy intake by reducing the amount of random movements you make. It's become more efficient at using those 800 calories.
  • Deadlay
    Deadlay Posts: 135 Member
    Hi there my name is Sharon. to answer your question about how to prevent the starvation syndrome.
    Stuff your self constantly with fruits and vegetable. Eat every two hours. In most cases it take more calories for your body to break down vegetable, especially raw than the calories you are eating, thus you keep your metabolism (the fire in the furnace) dialed on high. AgingWithoutDisease.com

False.