Frying eggss

Options
so usually when i fry eggs i use vegetable oil.. i was thining of switching to a spray btu the onyl one i have is the kind u spray for cooking muffins and what not.. is it okay to use that instead? O-o

Replies

• princessmedic
    Options
    I use the butter flavor non stick spray. It works for me!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Yes, that spray would work, but I would recommend buying an olive oil cooking spray next time you are in the store. It's with all the other cooking sprays, and now a days the olive oil sprays aren't much (if at all) more expensive.

You can also just use a little bit of regular olive oil - I put some on a paper towel and wipe the bottom of the pan with it. Does the trick without using too much.

Olive oil is a very healthy oil for you. (in moderation, of course :wink: )
  • lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I use real butter - but just the tiniest bit. My mom always used cooking spray. There are misters you can buy that lightly mist oil so you only use a touch.
  • skinnytayy
    Options
    Try blotting the pan with olive oil on a paper towel like accountant boi said or use pam cooking spray ($2, canola oil)
  • fat214
    fat214 Posts: 109
    Options
    I bought a olive oil spray can!That you can fill with real olive oil so you get the good fat and don't use too much.I know they sell them at bed bath & behond~ it's called MISTO and is around $7-$12.I LOVE MINE!
  • lizzys
    lizzys Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    frying eggs it all depends on how many cals you want you can use the spray with a non stick pan for no extra cals or you can use olive oil for healthy frying in oil or you can use the bad stufft that will kill you but taste the best butter......................
  • LWatson43
    LWatson43 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I use the Canola Oil spray in place of oil in a lot of my recipes that I fry and the Olive Oil in the bottle to fry foods that I just have to have fried and it works great.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I fry my eggs in either bacon drippings or coconut oil.

Butter is not bad for you either..................
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I also use butter cooking spray. I like the Crisco spray the best.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    frying eggs it all depends on how many cals you want you can use the spray with a non stick pan for no extra cals or you can use olive oil for healthy frying in oil or you can use the bad stufft that will kill you but taste the best butter......................

FYI - the "no calorie" sprays aren't really no calorie, they just make it so that a serving size is so small (like, 1/4 of a second or something like that) that they are allowed to round down to zero. I add the spray as 1/4 or 1/2 a tsp of whatever oil the spray is made out of, just to be safe. I'd rather overestimate than under.
  • lizzys
    Options
    i like to think theri no cals in those sprays they don't list any do they i am bad i never looked
  • lizzys
    Options

ya butter is bad clog those artrys.think like this any thing that is animal fat is bad olive oil is the best besides safron and who can aford that i save the buttter for my toast or potato or my vegs
  • jchapman1957
    jchapman1957 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I take a stick of butter with one end unwrapped and do a quick swipe around the warm pan. It barely gets the pan coated and then finish the egg with 2 tsp water and a cover to steam for the last minute.
  • stringcheeze
    Options

ya butter is bad clog those artrys.think like this any thing that is animal fat is bad olive oil is the best besides safron and who can aford that i save the buttter for my toast or potato or my vegs

Read "Good Calories, Bad Calories" by Gary Taubes. Case in point in how bad science and a cult of personality can screw up perfectly good for you stuff (saturated, or animal fat) into something "evil to be avoided at all costs."
  • xcbballuver
    Options
    thanks everyone for the suggestions! i think im going to go out now and buy some olive oil spray :D
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options

Saturated fats are not what clog your arteries. Your arteries get clogged from high triglycerides, which comes from too much sugar and the wrong types of carbs..............

Here are some articles to read:

http://www.preventionisbest.com/site/saturatedfat.html

http://www.menshealth.com/men/health/heart-disease/saturated-fat/article/a03ddd2eaab85110VgnVCM10000013281eac

http://trusted.md/blog/vreni_gurd/2007/04/06/saturated_fat_the_misunderstood_nutrient#axzz0zknkn0yT

http://www.spacedoc.net/saturated_fat_is_good_for_you_1

http://www.mnwelldir.org/docs/nutrition/saturated_fat.htm

And those Polyunsaturated fats that you think are soooo good for you, actually are not:

http://www.mnwelldir.org/docs/nutrition/saturated_fat.htm
    Here's the actual order of stability of a type of fat under heat and light (from least stable to most stable):

1. polyunsaturated
    2. monounsaturated
    3. saturated

Here's something that mainstream health professionals will never tell you...

Saturated fats are actually the healthiest oils to cook with!

Why? Because they are much more stable and less inflammatory than polyunsaturated oils.

This is why tropical oils such as palm and coconut oils are best for cooking... they have very little polyunsaturates and are mostly composed of natural saturated fats which are the least reactive to heat/light and therefore the least inflammatory in your body from cooking use.

That's also why natural butter (NOT margarine) is one of the best fats for cooking. This all goes directly against what you hear in mainstream health talk... because most health professionals don't truly understand the biochemistry of fats, and falsely believe that saturated fats are bad for you... when in fact, they are actually neutral in most instances... and saturated fats from tropical oils are actually good for you as they contain mostly medium chain triglycerides (MCTs) which are lacking in most people's diets.

In fact, lauric acid is one of the abundant MCTs in tropical oils and is known to strengthen the immune system. Lauric acid is even being studied currently in medical studies for controlling contagious diseases.

To summarize... your best cooking or baking fats are generally butter or tropical oils such as palm or coconut oil. Olive oil (extra virgin preferably) is ok for lower cooking temps as it's mostly monounsaturated, so moderately stable. The mostly polyunsaturated oils such as soybean, grapeseed, cottonseed, safflower, etc, are the least healthy for cooking or baking.
  • SouthernBell86
    SouthernBell86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Personally I always use butter for frying eggs. For one egg in a hole (one piece of bread, one egg) 1 teaspoon of butter is enough to get the whole job done, so I think you could use half a teaspoon for just one egg.

Another idea is instead of frying your eggs, you could poach them. Poaching an egg can be a bit easier since there isn't any flipping involved, and it just cooks itself. One quick spray of olive oil into poaching dish will suffice :)

I especially enjoy putting poached eggs on post workout salads for a good protein boost.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    i'm in the butter camp, too. it doesn't take much and the body knows how to process it. i don't even use 1/4 teaspoon, i'd bet. it's just a smidge, but i also use cast iron (seasoned with peanut oil, though no oil left on the surface before cooking, just wiped after it's cleaned) and so the surface is very slick (like new teflon, but way better).

k
  • Cytherea
    Cytherea Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    i like to think theri no cals in those sprays they don't list any do they i am bad i never looked

...Then you are fooling yourself. It does not list any, no, but as accountant_boi explained, they make the serving size so small that they are allowed to round down to 0. According to the FDA, anything with less than 0.5 of anything can list that as "0." If you use the butter spray, look it up on here. 25 sprays has 20 cals and 2g of fat. Most people do NOT use 1/4 of a second's worth of a spray- it is very easy to use MORE than the 25 I just listed. So be careful.
  • hill242
    hill242 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I use a nonstick pan and don't use any oils or butter or sprays. Just the egg.