Taking down the blinders

Options
Was feeling somewhat discouraged. I've been doing a tough-as-nails workout class at my local gym for the past few weeks and while I've lost a couple pounds, it's a bit less than what I was hoping for in this time frame. I can tell I've gotten stronger, muscles are peeking through, but for whatever reason I feel so focused on that scale's number every morning.

So, this morning, I decided to update my measurements for the month.

Many are the same, but a few - my waist, hips, butt, thighs - all lost inches. WHEW! For me, a data nerd, it was great to feel somewhat verified in my hard work the past few weeks. Even more encouraging - it's off my particularly troublesome areas where I would ideally like to lose the most weight.

It was just a good reminder to me to not be so focused on one measurement of success. By focusing on one thing, my weight, I was ignoring my other successes.

Have a great weekend! Find your small successes and celebrate them! :smile:

Replies

• jeffininer
    jeffininer Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Great job!!

I'm in the exact same boat, that's why I'm taking weekly progress photos. I forgot to do measurements at the beginning of this journey, but I did take weekly photos. Those photos keep me motivated! Because while I've only seen 9.5 pounds drop off in 7 weeks, I can SEE my body is changing. My arms are smaller and my waist is smaller. That keeps me motivated.

Sounds like you're doing everything right, so stick with it!!!
  • rach503
    rach503 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • GummyHuman
    GummyHuman Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I hear ya. I would also REALLY love to see that number go down. I have lost only about 5 pounds since the start of this year (after losing 25 from Sept- Dec)...BUT.. big but, since the beginning of the year I have shrunken out of another round of smaller clothing and people keep telling me I look great and asking what I am doing that is working so well for me. My "problem" (and I use that term loosely) is that the one measurement I care about, and therefore the only measurement I take -- my belly-- won't budge. I just want it to get into a healthy range. Shirts that were too tight on the belly now fit. Pants that were too tight around the waist now fit. I am 4 clothing sizes smaller, but the number on the measuring tape hasn't gotten any lower! I am baffled and slightly frustrated, but luckily I do have others measures to base my progress on. I would just LOVE for some numbers somewhere to validate my other measures. :tongue:
  • rach503
    rach503 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Oh man, that is EXACTLY what's going on in my brain too. It's so frustrating! Even though I can logically line up 10 ways I'm better off, skinnier, whatehaveyou, I'm still extremely frustrated that the weight number is just hanging out at the same place. Trying my best (!!!) to be patient, but I'm not a patient person! LOL!
  • ars1300
    ars1300 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Great job! Scales can be the devil!! : )