Are you a lefty or a righty?

Options
Lisa1971
Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
Or both? What things do you do with your opposite hand? I am a righty but I cut my steak, chicken, etc. with my left hand. Always have. My brother is a lefty but bats and golfs righty.

So which are you?

Replies

• spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    Ambidextrous.

Right is more dominant though.
  • condoleezachiapet
    Options
    Trained ambidextrous, right hand dominant. I only use my left hand if my right hand gets tired (for writing, drawing, guitar plucking, etc).
  • ItsMeGee3
    ItsMeGee3 Posts: 13,255 Member
    Options
    Ambidextrous - Write and eat left handed. Everything else, right
  • angel7472
    angel7472 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    ambidextrous but prominent left hand. Bat, throw, tennis with right. Eat and write mainly with left.
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    Mostly right handed. I can sorta do things left handed. I skateboard goofy footed and play pool left handed only.
  • hammersoaps
    Options
    I write, cook and eat lefty, brush my teeth lefty too . Pretty much everything else is with my right hand. I bat, bowl, golf, throw and kick as a righty. Fun stuff. If I do new things, I never know if I'll be a righty or lefty till I try it. Trying to knit, and I still can't tell which hand is going to work better. I do crochet left, so left will probably win out.
  • mister_universe
    mister_universe Posts: 6,664 Member
    Options
    Trained ambidextrous for many activities, born right handed.

I eat lefty most of the time, and can throw and catch very well with either, to the point that I've pitched baseball games lefthanded rather than right though I do throw harder and slightly more accurately right handed. Can dribble and shoot with either.

Left footed though, and my right foot is just almost useless for anything other than standing on. :ohwell:
  • _MG_
    _MG_ Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    The best - Lefty!
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Very much a lefty, my right hand is pretty dumb. Good thing though, since my brain tumor is in the left side of my brain, my left-handedness meant much of my language is on the right side, so I didn't lose much of it when I had brain surgery!
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    The best - Lefty!

This!
  • mccindy72
    Options
    My hubs was born left, but a teacher forced him to switch to right. He shoot a gun left but a bow right, pool left, eats right, and still writes right.
  • craignev
    craignev Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I write with my left but do everything else with my right.
  • hammersoaps
    Options
    Very much a lefty, my right hand is pretty dumb. Good thing though, since my brain tumor is in the left side of my brain, my left-handedness meant much of my language is on the right side, so I didn't lose much of it when I had brain surgery!

Funny you should say that. I had a brain tumor when I was 16 (going to be 30 in April). The tumor was on the right side, but with my ambidexterity, they weren't sure where my speech center was. I ended up having something called the Wada Test where the put to sleep half of your brain at a time to determine which hemisphere your speech (and to a certain extent, memory) comes from. Mine luckily was on the left side. The test was actually pretty cool, I tried to speak and couldn't when they shut that side down. It was so weird, I could think about what I wanted to say but couldn't even form the words with my mouth. I burst out laughing, I couldn't help it, it just felt so odd. My neurologist had me remember 3 words before the test and wanted me to repeat them afterwards. Cat. Boat. Texas. I don't think I'll ever forget them. :-D
  • mccindy72
    Options

Funny you should say that. I had a brain tumor when I was 16 (going to be 30 in April). The tumor was on the right side, but with my ambidexterity, they weren't sure where my speech center was. I ended up having something called the Wada Test where the put to sleep half of your brain at a time to determine which hemisphere your speech (and to a certain extent, memory) comes from. Mine luckily was on the left side. The test was actually pretty cool, I tried to speak and couldn't when they shut that side down. It was so weird, I could think about what I wanted to say but couldn't even form the words with my mouth. I burst out laughing, I couldn't help it, it just felt so odd. My neurologist had me remember 3 words before the test and wanted me to repeat them afterwards. Cat. Boat. Texas. I don't think I'll ever forget them. :-D

That is interesting. Now they just do an fMRI (functional MRI) where they have you do multiple tests during an MRI and the parts of your brain being used light up on the scan. My language mostly lit up on the right side of my brain so they felt safe doing the surgery. Most of my motor usage was still affected so I couldn't talk at all after the surgery but that came back eventually.
  • twinteensmom
    twinteensmom Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Very dominant lefty, here. I can't even hold a pen properly in my right hand, much less write with it.
  • hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I categorise myself as "ambisinister" - like a couple of other posters, I don't know when learning something new whether I'm going to be better right- or left-handed. So I write with my right, eat right-handed and knit right-handed, but I crochet, play pool, tennis, darts and hockey with my left. I use a knife with my right, but a saw and scissors with my left. It confuses the hell out of most people!
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    pretty much ambidextrous.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Left side dominant with everything except shooting guns.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    Pretty much ambidextrous, but right dominant. I use my right hand for writing (because I had to pick a hand when I was little) but my left for drawing. I usually eat right-handed but can switch pretty easily. When I was in gymnastics (many moons ago :laugh:) I tumbled left and danced right, and had to work to be able to do each both ways.

Edit - oh, I've recently been learning to snowboard, and I generally prefer goofy stance (lefty) but I'm a switch-hitter there, too.
  • tlcarolinagirl
    tlcarolinagirl Posts: 1,700 Member
    Options
    I am definitely a righty. Can't do much with my left hand, which is weird bc both parents and 3 brothers are all lefties. Hmmm.