Sports minister - "Women should try cheerleading and ballet"

Options
2»

Replies

• MrsG31
    MrsG31 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I don't know, I kind of see where she's coming from.

I am probably one of the most raging feminists on this site, but I think what she said is being taken out of context. Her point is to encourage women who don't currently exercise/do sports, and saying that those women should try things like ballet and zumba rather than sitting on the couch. If in fact such women are discouraged from exercise/sports due to not seeing them as feminine, maybe she has a point. However, I am not entirely convinced that this underlying hypothesis is correct, and would have to know more about the context--what she is basing this on, what audience she is speaking to, etc.

My thoughts exactly! As I was reading this, I was very confused. It seemed to start out saying that women who are not into sports should give some other activity that involves moving their arses a try. And there was some nice thoughts about getting women's professional sports more media overage. But then it got strange...saying girls at 13 or 14 don't want to get all hot and sweaty. Because that is how is was in "her year" and it is the same today. Definitely seems to be some lines crossed.
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options

I am probably one of the most raging feminists on this site, but I think what she said is being taken out of context. Her point is to encourage women who don't currently exercise/do sports, and saying that those women should try things like ballet and zumba rather than sitting on the couch. If in fact such women are discouraged from exercise/sports due to not seeing them as feminine, maybe she has a point. However, I am not entirely convinced that this underlying hypothesis is correct, and would have to know more about the context--what she is basing this on, what audience she is speaking to, etc.

My thoughts exactly! As I was reading this, I was very confused. It seemed to start out saying that women who are not into sports should give some other activity that involves moving their arses a try. And there was some nice thoughts about getting women's professional sports more media overage. But then it got strange...saying girls at 13 or 14 don't want to get all hot and sweaty. Because that is how is was in "her year" and it is the same today. Definitely seems to be some lines crossed.

That quote about "her year" was made by Jessica Ennis-Hill.
  • MrsG31
    MrsG31 Posts: 364 Member
    Options

I am probably one of the most raging feminists on this site, but I think what she said is being taken out of context. Her point is to encourage women who don't currently exercise/do sports, and saying that those women should try things like ballet and zumba rather than sitting on the couch. If in fact such women are discouraged from exercise/sports due to not seeing them as feminine, maybe she has a point. However, I am not entirely convinced that this underlying hypothesis is correct, and would have to know more about the context--what she is basing this on, what audience she is speaking, etc.

That quote about "her year" was made by Jessica Ennis-Hill.

Oops, you're right. My bad. I guess by that point I was just skimming which is a bad habit, I know.
  • MichaelVRenner
    MichaelVRenner Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    ...and this is where I say "Yes, dear. Of course, dear."