Are my protein shakes hindering my weight loss?

2»

Replies

• strutdivastrut
    strutdivastrut Posts: 105 Member
    My deficit is 500 a cal day and I burn over 500 a day.
  • Orion782
    Orion782 Posts: 391
    NO!!! A big NO! You are putting your body into starvation mode by eating too few calories. The whole reason why you aren't loosing weight is because your body thinks that "Hey, If I'm not getting enough food then I need to store as much as I can to reserve". Your body is in emergency mode, which can eventually lead to poor health! Get off of this plan now!!!

Epic Fail.

Your body doesn't really start to go into any type of metabolic rate of decline (or "starvation mode" as the term has been loosely used here), until you are <10% body fat. I don't know many females...even SUPER FIT females, who are less than 10% body fat. Do you?

For more, google 'The Minnesota Starvation Experiment'.

Pseudo-broscience garbage.
  • strutdivastrut
    @Supertact, Because my last loss was a month ago and then afterwards I started taking the shakes.I want to make sure ththat supplement helps me achieve my weight loss goals and not bulk me up.
  • jchrisman717
    jchrisman717 Posts: 780 Member
    @Cookie, I use body fortress from walmart.It has 170 cal per scoop and at least 8 grams of protein.

It only has 8 grams of protein? I'd be going to a new brand of protein. Mine has 120 calories and 25 grams of protein. As the others have said - its not the protein shake, its your overall total of calores, keep the protein shake (but get one that has more protein in it) and cut back on any processed foods you are intaking.
  • Orion782
    Orion782 Posts: 391
    @Supertact, Because my last loss was a month ago and then afterwards I started taking the shakes.I want to make sure ththat supplement helps me achieve my weight loss goals and not bulk me up.

Ok, understand that PROTEIN INTAKE WILL NOT BULK YOU UP. If you are eating at deficit (you are, aren't you?) then your body is using protein to PRESERVE lean muscle mass and for muscle repair. It is not making you heavier, or even more muscular...

Now, if you want to lose weight by losing fat and lean muscle, then just eat at a deficit and don't pay any attention to your protein intake. You WILL lose weight this way, just not the type of weight you should want/need to lose. If you don't preserve lean muscle mass, then why are you even trying to lose weight???

Again, take a solid look at your macronutrient levels. If they are all over the place, that could be hindering your weight loss. You should strive not only to hit a caloric goal each day (at deficit), but also try to get your Protein/Fat/Carb ratio as close to perfect as you can.
  • strutdivastrut
    Thanks Orien.I am making sure I do those things also.
  • LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    @Cookie, I use body fortress from walmart.It has 170 cal per scoop and at least 8 grams of protein.

It only has 8 grams of protein? I'd be going to a new brand of protein. Mine has 120 calories and 25 grams of protein. As the others have said - its not the protein shake, its your overall total of calores, keep the protein shake (but get one that has more protein in it) and cut back on any processed foods you are intaking.

I agree. That sounds like a terrible protein shake! I have protein powder that has 17 grams of protein for only 90 calories. It is definitely the overall calories. Also, further up in the conversation you metioned that your exercise is walking/jogging 4 days a week. That's great, but it's not super intense or high calorie burn. You probably don't need a protein shake, just have one as a meal replacement if you want one, not for muscle building.
  • no........comes down to calories
  • strutdivastrut
    I went to double check the labdl and it has 30 grams of protein per serving.
  • strutdivastrut
    Thanks guys.I just moved my calorie goal from from 1600 to 1700.I mostly stay within my calorie goals.I am 5'5 226 lbs.I lost 36 lbs in a year but I have dropped sizes from size 20 to 16..So this is my second year dropping weight. Any additional advice?
  • jchrisman717
    jchrisman717 Posts: 780 Member
    I went to double check the labdl and it has 30 grams of protein per serving.

Ah that sounds better! I would say make sure you are logging correctly. If your not measuring it makes a difference. I would say the culprit is most likely under-estimating calories taken in and over-estimating calories burned.
  • strutdivastrut
    Thanks
  • dmenchac
    dmenchac Posts: 447 Member
    HEY GUIYS. I eat 300 calories a day and burn 800. AM I DOING THIS DIETING THING RT.?

Some people...
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member

Eww, eww, EWW!

Don't do that to yourself. Sure, it's protein and all, and it'll work, but body fortress is probably the worst powder in terms of flavor and texture. Pay the little bit of extra money and get some Optimum Nutrition or Trutein or something. You'll thank me for it.