Huge blisters, how can you prevent them?

silhouettes
silhouettes Posts: 517 Member
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
I have been using the treadmill for 3-4 months now and occasionally when I speed up I get small blisters (or whatever you call them) on my hands from holding on to tight, they aren't a big deal they hurt but they fade pretty fast.

Occasionally I'll get a small blister on my foot to, mostly on the bottom... but this past week somehow I managed to get a massive blister on the back of my foot and it keeps growing... really gross actually. I know it will pop on it's on and everything will be ok, but ti's very unattrative and it hurts whenever I put my shoes on!

I went from about 3.2 to 3.4 recently so that might have something to do with it?

Is there any way I can prevent this from happening in the future, what can I do to lessen it if it does happen?

I exercise about 5 days a week, 1 hour on the treadmill, I use Shape Up Shoes and wear thick socks with them. It's been hard to walk this week with the shoes rubbing the blister, but I am determined to loose weight.

Any suggestions on what I can do while it heals to make it less irratitated and what can I do in the future so it doesn't happen again?

Thanks!

Replies

• rfialkiewicz
    rfialkiewicz Posts: 183 Member
    Powder your feet before putting them in your socks. Use moisture-wicking socks. Use medical tape or some other moisture resistant cover on the tender skin that is blistered or likely to become blistered. Then take great pains to dry out your feet after the work out and even lotion them. Rinse and repeat.

These are the tricks Ballet dancers who dance on Pointe use to reduce massive blisters on toes, heels and soles.

The point of the medical tape or bandage is to give yourself a false callus until you can build up on of your own. Yes, we (pointe dancers) will resort to duct tape if the blistering is severe enough, because it acts like a false callus, but I DO NOT recommend doing that. Ripping it off hurts *cringes at thought*.

Moisture build up can increase the likely-hood of a blister. Don't ask me why, I just know dry feet don't blister.

Airing your feet out after the exercise just prevents things like eczema break-outs and athlete's foot and is a generally good practice.
  • Your shoes might not be fitting right since you lost weight. You should check that. Also, better socks are good. As for your hands, you can either wear some kind of sports glove or I suggest that you let go of the bar. You'll get a better workout.

You can put mole skin on hot spots before blisters start, but really, you have sensitive skin and a shoe problem.
  • Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Most important thing is that your socks are clean, dry, and fit as well as your shoes. having the shoes tighten just right is also very important. With me, if I have them too lose then they slip around which can cause blisters. If I have them too tight, then my feet start to hurt.

With treadmills, you have that extra push/pull on the tread so keeping your speed at what is comfortalbe for you is important also.

That's my 2 cents
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    For hands, I'm not sure what to tell you other than maybe fingerless gloves?

For feet/heels, mole skin!! Years ago when I was in marching band, the shoes tore the hell out of my heels. I had blisters that ruptured and the cuts ran deep. The school nurse is what saved me by using this stuff they call mole skin. Any pharmacy will carry it. It makes wearing any shoe at anytime wonderful.
    That night, we had to march in a show. With cut up heels, I couldn't feel it thanks to that stuff.

Good luck!!
  • try a product called NEWSKIN. it acts as a protective covering over the blister pretty much like a layer of new skin (hint the name) lol. it works really well. when i used to get blisters from playing basketball i used it and it worked miracles. usually i also covered it with a band aid once the new skin dried! hope this helps! good luck!
  • when i started walking a lot I got huge and i mean huge blisters on the bottom of my feet and went to the doctor and he said to try these socks that gaurantee you won't get blisters, the brand is wright and they are awesome! havn't had a blister since :)
  • redefiningmyself
    redefiningmyself Posts: 476 Member
    I once did a 42 km walkathon and thanks to advice from a specialty running room, I didn't get any blisters. (other people had worn toenails off - ouch!)

This is what they recommended to me:
    - Make sure you have good fitting shoes. many proper shoe stores know how to check properly to make sure the shoes are fitting correctly as per your gait, size, activities etc.
    -Wear moistur wick socks (I like the 2 layer ones from the Running Room, but you can buy them just about anywhere)
    -Change your socks every hour when exercising. - may sound silly but moisture is one of the key problems that causes blisters.
    -there is a roll on you can buy that reduces any type of friction. Its great to roll it all over your feet, between your thighs and underarms, and anywhere else that rubs. I don't know the name but any professional athletic store carries it. Its not expensive and I found it really helpful.

So this is what I've found works for me. Best wishes to you in finding what works best for you. Blisters are a pain!
    :happy:
  • kgalea
    kgalea Posts: 156 Member
    Definitely use socks with NO cotton - I run a lot and only run with non-cotton containing, wicking socks - never have a problem with blisters. My husband just started walking and was having trouble with blisters. As soon as I bought him the right socks, the blisters stopped showing up.

The roll-on referred to in the last post could be "BodyGlide" - Works wonders!
  • Alioth
    Alioth Posts: 571 Member
    I'm not sure if Sketcherz Shapeups are meant for serious walking. I thought the idea was they shape your legs as you walk around normally during the day? You might want to get some shoes that are made for longer periods of running/walking.

Flexion has a lot to do with if the shoe will fit and wear right when you run or walk. A shoe should flex a little, but not a lot right at the ball of the foot. A lot of the fancy name-brand shoes I see in the stores sold as "athletic shoes" are really cheap crap with no support, or support in the wrong places. The shoes that flex in the wrong place tend to be floppy on the heel and get floppier as they break down.

And I know this sounds dumb, but you could wear Crocs to do your walking for a little bit until your heels heal. I wear cheap $2 knockoff Crocs to do my running/walking outdoors in the heat 'cause I hate sweaty feet. They're kinda slippery though.
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Wear synthetic "high-performance" socks which wick moisture away from your skin. Cotton socks just get soggy and cause chafing and blisters. Buy a pair of workout gloves for the blisters on your hands. You can also use them when lifting weights to prevent callouses. Also, consider a pair of high quality running shoes, such as Asics Gel.
  • beethedreamer
    beethedreamer Posts: 465 Member
    for the blisters on your hands, you could get some gloves that are meant to be used during working out. I see alot of the people who mostly do weights use them, so they'd prolly work for you. also as a side note, holding onto the bar on the treadmill is terrible for your posture. you should select a speed that you're comfortable with, without having to hold on.
  • For your hands you can get gloves, but you shouldnt be holding onto the machine anyways. For your feet, have you considered different shoes?
  • Asics shoes - I swear by them and Nike Dri-Fit lightweight socks. I had a problem with blisters just walking around our local track when I wore cotton socks. But when I bought these MIRACLE socks, I have never had a blister again.

I am convinced these Nike socks are the best ones ever...

Good luck!
  • I also swear by asics running shoes - I have never had any problems with them at all.

My husband is training to walk 300 miles in 2 weeks and they basically rub their feet with surgical spirit before putting on socks and walking boots to prevent blisters xxx
  • silhouettes
    silhouettes Posts: 517 Member
    Thanks everyone! I never realized how bad holding onto the treadmill was until I read your comments and did a little research. I did my first succesful exerccise today w/o holding on. I had to go from 3.4 to 2.5 which sucked, but I guess I will get built back up and the right way this time. I am not going to bother with gloves since I am going to stop touching the bar.

As for my blister thanks for the tips, I am going to look for the special socks later today when my husband gets off work. What sucks and might be my problem is my feet are slightly different sizes (maybe a half size difference or so), one is a bit smaller than the other and the "bigger" one was the one that got the blister on the back, but ti's my first blister in 3 months of walking. It's almost gone now, thanks for the tips to make it better! I barely feel it, such a relief and I think the slowing down on the treadmill helped tons to.

I will check out the shoes you guys mentioned to, it sucks buying shoes for me because I can't afford to buy 2 different pairs, one for each foot... hopefully I can find something decently priced.. I do love my shapeups though, they never felt to loose or tight or bothered me until the blister appeared at the beginning of the week. They are one of the few shoes I ever found that seemed to fit both feet about perfectly.. hopefully I can find another pair!

Well thanks again :)
This discussion has been closed.