How do you do it???????????

Options
How do you guys and girls lose about 50lbs?????????? I mean i just want to see what did you do and how long did it take also how much is your daily calories????????:huh: Thanks

Replies

• Supertact
    Supertact Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I lost 100 lbs. It took two years. My calories varied. But at first I ate 1600-1800. Towards the end I was closer to 1400.

The "big-picture" answer to your question, though, is:

I did it by being consistent (logging all my food, being consistent in my exercise), and not giving up if I fell of the wagon for a day or two.

But I also lost a lot of muscle in those two years. So I definitely advise people to lift weights and eat more protein than I did.
  • PippiNe
    PippiNe Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I lost 30 lbs last summer eating 1200-1300 calories a day plus my exercise calories. The first 2 months I lost 10lbs each month, but the last 10lbs took about 2 1/2 months to disappear. It will vary for each person, but eat at a calorie deficit and exercise most days of the week (even if it's only 20 minutes) and you will be extremely happy with a new you in just a few months. Even if you don't lose 50 lbs as quickly as you want, I felt incredible after dropping my first 12 lbs. I was down a size in my clothes and had regained a lot of confidence that I lost along the way. Do it, start today and don't worry about the timeline - you'll be happier with yourself as soon as your clothes start fitting looser. Those little victories along the way make the journey soooo worth it!
  • hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I'm with WB55 - consistency. Also - knowledge. I read a lot in these forums and elsewhere about how to go about this.

I worked out how to set a reasonable goal at a reasonable deficit (I'm netting around 1600kcal a day, 1900kcal gross.), got off my butt and moved more. Just walking to start with, then started a body resistance routine to slow muscle loss. I log everything I eat, I log in daily for encouragement and I've been doing this consistently for almost seven months. I've learned to recognise that life is going to happen, so as long as my long-term goals are being met (I'm losing the weight on a reasonable deficit), the day-to-day minutae (e.g. I go over one day) isn't so important. I've also learned that if a change is difficult to implement, it's going to be difficult to stick to when I've lost the weight I need to lose. It's either not worth it (you're not going to catch me doing aerobics or never eating pizza) or I have to suck it up and stick with it (I drink a lot more water now.)
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    1. Log EVERYTHING you eat down to the condiments
    2. Get a FITBIT. It syncs with MFP. It'll give you a chart showing calories eaten vs. calories burnt
    3. Make sure you burn off more than you take in.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,978 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit.
    Ok, lets lock it down and close up shop, were going home, we've got it down now. just kidding. :happy:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Took me 8-9 months to lose around 40 Lbs. I just made sure I had a reasonable and for the most part painless calorie deficit and hit those calorie goals consistently. It was pretty easy...just takes time and patience. If anything it is tedious...but it isn't hard.
  • Spiderkeys
    Spiderkeys Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I lost 100lb in only 5 months, I let my scale know, I'm in control, i'm the boss, so my scale ended up doing exactly what I ordered.
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit.

/thread
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    It took me a year to lose 50 pounds. I set small goals, 20 pounds in 25 weeks to start with. I started with 1700 calories, a cheat day every week, and 20 minutes of light exercise per day. As I progressed I increased the exercise, set fitness goals, paid closer attention to my macros, bought a food scale and a HRM, cut out the cheat days, and adjusted my calorie levels to match my current stats and activity level.

I got lucky in that the day after I started my diet my refrigerator broke and I had to throw everything out and start with a clean slate and only good foods in the fridge.

I also bought a calendar and some stickers and gave myself a sticker for every day that I hit my goals. It's a silly non-food reward system, but it gave me a visual check to make sure that I wasn't slacking off more than I realized.

Sometimes I joke that I couldn't have done it without a good therapist, and that's probably true for me. But a good support system is useful, either here or in real life, made up of people who will honestly listen to you when you stumble, have some understanding of your issues, and won't give you nonsense advice.

tl;dr Realistic goals, patience, consistency, and a calorie deficit.
  • ClaudiaKho13
    ClaudiaKho13 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    It took me a year to lose 50 pounds. I set small goals, 20 pounds in 25 weeks to start with. I started with 1700 calories, a cheat day every week, and 20 minutes of light exercise per day. As I progressed I increased the exercise, set fitness goals, paid closer attention to my macros, bought a food scale and a HRM, cut out the cheat days, and adjusted my calorie levels to match my current stats and activity level.

I got lucky in that the day after I started my diet my refrigerator broke and I had to throw everything out and start with a clean slate and only good foods in the fridge.

I also bought a calendar and some stickers and gave myself a sticker for every day that I hit my goals. It's a silly non-food reward system, but it gave me a visual check to make sure that I wasn't slacking off more than I realized.

Sometimes I joke that I couldn't have done it without a good therapist, and that's probably true for me. But a good support system is useful, either here or in real life, made up of people who will honestly listen to you when you stumble, have some understanding of your issues, and won't give you nonsense advice.

tl;dr Realistic goals, patience, consistency, and a calorie deficit.

Thanks
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit.
    Bingo.

It's different for everyone, based on age, height, weight, activities.

Handy dandy free tool right here at your fingertips in MFP. Enter your info and goals accurately and realistically and it spits out a daily goal for you - your very own calorie deficit.
  • maryann9wood
    maryann9wood Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    It's taken me 13 months. Took a peek at your diary - you are not logging much exercise, and are often eating under 1200 calories. You need to eat AT LEAST 1200, and find some exercise you can do, or actually like. Walking, extra flights of stairs, dancing or skating. If you can't join a gym, get a video to work out to. Or check through the TV listings - often work-out or yoga shows are available. A slow weight loss will keep it off - and teach you new and better habits. Good luck!
  • GGDaddy
    GGDaddy Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    60 lbs in 48 weeks.

The key for me was:
    1) consistency--log every day, every item!
    2) stay at a calorie deficit.
    3) eating back my exercise calories so I had fuel for the fire, but accurate amounts (and no bs exercises)
    4) only two cheat days--Thanksgiving and my birthday.
    5) prelogged food for the day so I wouldn't run out of calories before running out of hours. ESPECIALLY when going to restaurants!
    6) hit your macros--especially for protein--but don't deprive yourself of food you love or you'll give up. Lots and lots of pizza, beer, chips, fries, hotdogs, and fast food during those 60 pounds lost.

Good luck!
  • Mav3rick54
    Mav3rick54 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    1. Log EVERYTHING you eat down to the condiments
    2. Get a FITBIT. It syncs with MFP. It'll give you a chart showing calories eaten vs. calories burnt
    3. Make sure you burn off more than you take in.

^^ This...It has taken me 4 1/2 months to lose 41.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    I thought this was about something else.........

Anyways....yes...calories in and calories out. However you choose to eat and burn those calories are up to you and what works for you.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Log everything I eat, accurately and consistently, everyday
    Calorie Deficit
  • JMel86
    JMel86 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    60 lbs in 48 weeks.

The key for me was:
    1) consistency--log every day, every item!
    2) stay at a calorie deficit.
    3) eating back my exercise calories so I had fuel for the fire, but accurate amounts (and no bs exercises)
    4) only two cheat days--Thanksgiving and my birthday.
    5) prelogged food for the day so I wouldn't run out of calories before running out of hours. ESPECIALLY when going to restaurants!
    6) hit your macros--especially for protein--but don't deprive yourself of food you love or you'll give up. Lots and lots of pizza, beer, chips, fries, hotdogs, and fast food during those 60 pounds lost.

Good luck!

THIS!
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    While the answer calorie deficit is essentially correct, for most of us its getting into a calorie deficit in a way we find sustainable for the long term

For some that is lots of exercise. others low carb, 5:2, or another change of eating habits

So deficit is what you need but it has to be sustainable for the individual long term
  • Just_Kim_
    Just_Kim_ Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Almost six months to lose 60 lbs.
    Count and record your calories.
    Drink water.
    Do something-anything-to move more.
    Find ways to stay mentally motivated.