Spaghetti squash

Options
xarrium
xarrium Posts: 432 Member
Hey everyone!

I've been thinking of trying out spaghetti squash for the first time--problem is, I can't use a whole squash all at once, and I don't know how to preserve it... can I pre-cook and freeze it, then thaw it out for a quick supper? Or, should I avoid cooking it before I absolutely need it?

Thanks guys!!

Replies

• trisha329
    trisha329 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Believe it or not, it's not really as much as you think in a whole squash! I am the only one who eats in my family, and I polished a whole one off myself in two days! You can keep it in the fridge for a few days, either cooked or uncooked. Not sure about freezing it because it may become watery once you've defrosted it.
  • glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I generally purchase a smallish one and then eat it in two meals, two nights in a row. I cut it in half, scoop out the seeds, cook it, and just wrap the 1/2 I don't eat on the first night in foil, put it in the refrigerator and microwave it the next day (I scoop it out of the shell first)
  • Alioth
    Alioth Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I've cooked it with salt, pepper, onions and butter then frozen it in baggies like that. It freezes in a solid block that is kinda messy to thaw and eat later--more like squash hash.

You can use it to make squash fritters or pancakes like hashbrowns though after it's been frozen.

And trisha is right, it cooks down a little and doesn't make as much as you think. It's also not as filling as pasta because it's a vegetable. You can eat a lot more of it without feeling heavy.

It's really good with Italian salad dressing and a little crumbled feta cheese. :D
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    The half you don't finish at dinner..

scoop the "noodles" out of the shell and spread them out on a paper towel and let them cool. Blot them a bit before you put them in a container and in the fridge. That will help them from becoming a blob of noodle goo.