Getting Enough Protein

Options
I have been working on my protein, carb, fat ratio and I am having a hard time getting the numbers to the right percentages. I am always under on protein and fat and over on carbs. I think this is atributing to the fact that my calories on workout days are to low. My BMR is 1818. I opened my diary for food ideas. Should I have protein of some sort at every meal?

Thanks for any suggestions! Muah! :tongue:

Replies

• MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    I have been working on my protein, carb, fat ratio and I am having a hard time getting the numbers to the right percentages. I am always under on protein and fat and over on carbs. I think this is atributing to the fact that my calories on workout days are to low. My BMR is 1818. I opened my diary for food ideas. Should I have protein of some sort at every meal?

Thanks for any suggestions! Muah! :tongue:

Hey mate,

Rule of thumb to go by:
    If you are weight lifting, and exercising....shoot for about 0.8 - 1.0 gr protein / pound of body weight
    For Fat, do about 0.4 gr / pound of body weight, this is a minimum.
    Carbs can be the remainder of your calories.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    Looked at your diary real quick.
    You have 330 gr of protein for your daily goal.
    That is prolly over kill, unless you just like protein. :smile:
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Why do you feel you need to be at 50% protein? Why not try 40/30/30 Protein/Fat/Cabs as a starting point and adjust from there, I typically eat only 30-35% protein, with a lower caloric intake than you have, no need to get 200+ grams of protein.
  • bg192905
    bg192905 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Looked at your diary real quick.
    You have 330 gr of protein for your daily goal.
    That is prolly over kill, unless you just like protein. :smile:

Ok, thanks. That is helpful.
  • bg192905
    Options
    Why do you feel you need to be at 50% protein? Why not try 40/30/30 Protein/Fat/Cabs as a starting point and adjust from there, I typically eat only 30-35% protein, with a lower caloric intake than you have, no need to get 200+ grams of protein.

I wanted to use the protein to keep me satiatied so that I was not hungry and missing carbs. What your saying makes sense. Sometimes all this makes me feel like a mouse on a wheel. :ohwell:
  • MityMax96
    Options
    If you are used to doing a lot of carbs, and now trying to cut back then that is gonna be tough.
    It will take time for your body to re-adjust....so it will require some discipline on your part, til things re-align.

Carbs typically drive your appetite.

The important thing is to stay below caloric needs if you are trying to lose weight....
    But also make sure you are getting adequate protein and fats.
  • bg192905
    Options
    If you are used to doing a lot of carbs, and now trying to cut back then that is gonna be tough.
    It will take time for your body to re-adjust....so it will require some discipline on your part, til things re-align.

Carbs typically drive your appetite.

The important thing is to stay below caloric needs if you are trying to lose weight....
    But also make sure you are getting adequate protein and fats.

Yes it is taking discipline. And along with losing weight, I am trying to re-learn how to eat properly. After years of chasing my super active athletic kids and eating fast food, a balanced diet is a foreign subject.

Thanks!! :wink:
  • MityMax96
    Options
    Yeah I can see how that would have an affect....

Well I would encourage you to focus on eating whole foods and cooking for yourself.
    Can you do fast food, and lose weight??
    Yes. Important point is to keep calories in less than what you need daily.....
    So for example, if your TDEE is 2000 calories, that keeps you where you are at now.
    Then to lose weight, typically -20% will work....
    So that would put you at about 1600 calories a day.

Then in those 1600 calories,
    You can go by what erick recommended if you wish to do percentages...
    Or you can go by what I recommend on protein, fat and carbs.

Me personally, I try to focus my diet around whole foods, and getting veggies in.....
    My fave fast food place is Chipotle.....so I can get a decent post workout meal there that fits my goals.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    I would also encourage you to get a food scale.
    Then you know how much you are eating. :wink:
  • bg192905
    Options
    Yeah I can see how that would have an affect....

Well I would encourage you to focus on eating whole foods and cooking for yourself.
    Can you do fast food, and lose weight??
    Yes. Important point is to keep calories in less than what you need daily.....
    So for example, if your TDEE is 2000 calories, that keeps you where you are at now.
    Then to lose weight, typically -20% will work....
    So that would put you at about 1600 calories a day.

Then in those 1600 calories,
    You can go by what erick recommended if you wish to do percentages...
    Or you can go by what I recommend on protein, fat and carbs.

Me personally, I try to focus my diet around whole foods, and getting veggies in.....
    My fave fast food place is Chipotle.....so I can get a decent post workout meal there that fits my goals.

Making my own foods has helped a lot in considering portion sizes. I am also surprised at how much longer my hunger stays at bay when I eat what I make.
  • bg192905
    Options
    I would also encourage you to get a food scale.
    Then you know how much you are eating. :wink:

About that food scale. I have one. Used it to portion spaghetti and almost died when I saw the actual amount that makes a serving. :noway: Spaghetti is really meant to be a side dish! Its a slow process but I am learning! :bigsmile:
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Girl...we have the same problem! I feel like I am always over my carbs daily. But then I look at my weekly totals and I havent gone over yet. So some days you feel like you are and you forget those days you didnt. Just a tip, I prefer looking at my weekly totals.

Also...I struggle to eat my recommended ... 110 g of protein. Some days I am half of that, some days I am close between 10 or so.

But I am making an effort to eat more .. and that is a good start! So now it is is my mind and eventually I think I will be there!

Good luck!
  • bg192905
    Options
    Girl...we have the same problem! I feel like I am always over my carbs daily. But then I look at my weekly totals and I havent gone over yet. So some days you feel like you are and you forget those days you didnt. Just a tip, I prefer looking at my weekly totals.

Also...I struggle to eat my recommended ... 110 g of protein. Some days I am half of that, some days I am close between 10 or so.

But I am making an effort to eat more .. and that is a good start! So now it is is my mind and eventually I think I will be there!

Good luck!

Thanks!! I like the idea of considering the week. I dont want to be super focused on this but until I learn how to eat I feel I have to.