DHEA? Someone told me I should be taking this

Options
Honestly I have never heard of the stuff but again i am not much for supplements. I will be turning 43 and I buddy of mine told me I should be consuming 100mg of this stuff a day. Anyone know, heard, use or have any information on a personal level about this??

Replies

• refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Its a steroid your body makes
  • james6998
    james6998 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Its a steroid? So why is it legal and encouraged to take?
  • refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Don't know sorry, Maybe some are legal
  • greenbubblegum
    greenbubblegum Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    DHEA is a hormone that converts to testosterone in your body.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    The effect of a supplement is miniscule especially when it comes to hormones. You wanna up your test? Do some damn intense squats, deadlifts and clean and presses for an hour.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • tiger_lily5
    tiger_lily5 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    My doctor just told me to start taking this supplement.

DHEA is a hormone your body naturally produces. However, if you are suffering from a thyroid disorder, adrenal fatigue and/or high stress producing large amounts of cortisol in your body, you won't produce as much DHEA. Taking this supplement actually helps balance the cortisol in your system. In most cases, less is more. Start with 25mg (not 100) in the evening. You should see a marked increase in energy and over all well being. All that being said, it is a supplement that seems to be more common for women to take than men. I think this is because women seem to suffer more hormone imbalances than men.

Here's a great article if you want more information: http://www.drdebe.com/articles/dhea-the-real-story
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I agree with Tiger_Lily. I've been recently taking this as well as I have a thyroid disorder and my DHEA was low. But, my understanding is that it's much more common for women because men compensate with their natural testosterone levels so most men aren't low in DHEA unless they have low levels of testosterone (then maybe -- and that's another puzzle to solve).
  • Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    The degree to which your pants are hanging off your body makes me uncomfortable.
    Unfortunately I have nothing else to contribute.
  • tiger_lily5
    tiger_lily5 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    The degree to which your pants are hanging off your body makes me uncomfortable.
    Unfortunately I have nothing else to contribute.

HA! Water THROUGH THE NOSE!