Anyone lose 100lbs without hitting any plateau?

Options
Curious, I feel like one of the very lucky ones, before I started, I heard everyone eventually hits the plateau, so I was prepared to expect one on my 100 pound loss journey.

I had a few stalls, but they didn't last longer than a few days.

Replies

• Lysander666
    Lysander666 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the plateau thing. I lost 56 pounds and I didn't 'plateau'.
  • Spiderkeys
    Spiderkeys Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Yeah I got from Servery Obese to the Ideal Weight with almost no problems.
  • ewrob
    ewrob Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    169 pounds in 51 weeks. I changed my lifestyle significantly, eating a plant-based diet.
  • merisaOct3
    merisaOct3 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I think it's fantastic that you all were able to achieve your goals without a plateau. I'm curious as to the intent behind this post, though. Folks who "plateau" aren't necessarily doing anything wrong or bad. Hitting a plateau isn't necessarily a bad thing, either. Long-term weight loss and eventual maintenance is different for everyone, and different people have different priorities, and simply just different bodies. A plateau can be a body's natural way of recalibrating to it's current circumstances. I don't have any studies or research to back this up, but I would venture to guess that people who hit plateaus are no less likely at keeping the weight off than those who never hit a plateau. It isn't a race to "goal weight" - it's a journey of a healthy life.
  • Idnative1964
    Options
    I have been doing this for 3 mo now and was doing really good and losing weight. but the last couple of weeks it just stopped and plateaued . any ideas?????
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Well only 76 lbs here but no plateau - just normal stalls. The longest one was 4 weeks because I skipped a period, but not a real plateau... but again, I don't believe in plateaus.
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Curious, I feel like one of the very lucky ones, before I started, I heard everyone eventually hits the plateau, so I was prepared to expect one on my 100 pound loss journey.

The only 'platueaus' I experienced were self induced, meaning I wasn't losing because I wasn't eating at a deficit.

Just like the PP, I also don't believe in plateaus either.

ETA: I also think that people who experience slow weight loss mistake that for a plateau, especially when they're weighing every day and it fluctuates back up.
  • Supertact
    Supertact Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    94 pounds down and not 1 plateau.
  • labtechmike
    Options
    I have been doing this for 3 mo now and was doing really good and losing weight. but the last couple of weeks it just stopped and plateaued . any ideas?????

How many calories are you eating?
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    75 pounds in 18 months...with one weight loss plateau.

HOWEVER...during the plateau, I still lost fat inches so I was down with it. I figured I was just gaining muscle faster than I was losing weight for about 5 weeks.
  • I have been doing this for 3 mo now and was doing really good and losing weight. but the last couple of weeks it just stopped and plateaued . any ideas?????

Either lower your calories A LOT for a couple days, (800, 900) or binge a lot for a few days. If you don't feel comfortable with that, then try just switching up your eating routine, for example, if you eat about the same stuff everyday, try switching it up. This helps a lot of people, including me. (ps, about "starvation mode"- 2 days of low calorie eating will not put you into starvation mode. you're body's metabolism only does this after experiencing lengthy periods of starvation level caloric amounts. just wanted to say this, so i don't get attacked by a bajillion people like i have before about starvation mode) :) good luck with it!
  • moronicbliss
    moronicbliss Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    65 pounds lost over 7 months, and no plateau. I have had some spots where I lost more slowly than I would have liked, but overall I can't really complain.
  • Yes I hit plateau twice for 4 months each. It was the best thing that happened because it taught me to maintain my weight over long period of time. Hence, it was no longer a diet but a changed lifestyle . I hope it makes sense.
  • HawkeyeTy
    HawkeyeTy Posts: 681 Member
    Options

Either lower your calories A LOT for a couple days, (800, 900) or binge a lot for a few days. If you don't feel comfortable with that, then try just switching up your eating routine, for example, if you eat about the same stuff everyday, try switching it up. This helps a lot of people, including me. (ps, about "starvation mode"- 2 days of low calorie eating will not put you into starvation mode. you're body's metabolism only does this after experiencing lengthy periods of starvation level caloric amounts. just wanted to say this, so i don't get attacked by a bajillion people like i have before about starvation mode) :) good luck with it!

The lowering your calories that low is horrible advice, so in the bingeing...
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    I'm of the opinion that most plateaus are just periods wherein there is no consistent caloric deficit.

People overestimate output, underestimate input, forget to record things, make mistakes, or fail to keep records, etc., etc., etc.

Edited to add: Some people also weigh themselves infrequently and jump to the conclusion that they have plateaued when they are experiencing normal weight fluctuations. Weighing more frequently and keeping a trend line will help one to see any cyclical patterns in weight over the course of a week or month and to see the overall pattern of the weight (decreasing, increasing or maintaining).
  • DrWhoodles
    DrWhoodles Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I was down about 135 lbs and I plateaued for months, no weight movement at all. The bad part is I ended up getting so frustrated that I stopped paying attention to my food and then other stuff went on and, long story short, I'm back up and losing again.

It got to the point where every time I saw the same number I thought I was going to lose my mind.
  • jac_84
    jac_84 Posts: 128 Member
    Options

thats a fantatic loss! way to go! I was wondering... what was your success to weight loss? Im down 20lbs and as you mentioned, i also only hit a slow down for a couple days here and there but no plateaus as of yet. That was something I was always concerned about. I have completely changed my diet and i work out 5-6 days a week. Thanks for your input!
  • jac_84
    jac_84 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    by the way..... WAY TO GO EVERYONE!!! reading through all of the posts on here is just fantatic!!! Keep up the great work :))
  • appleberry99
    appleberry99 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting some successes! It looks like there is hope for those of us that are trying very hard and have had not seen the scale budge in the right direction.
  • Spiderkeys
    Spiderkeys Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I would presume a plateau can happen to people who do not lower their calorie goals as they lose weight, or when people get to a stage where they don't have much left to lose anyway.