Quinoa Rcipes?

Jennwith2ns
Jennwith2ns Posts: 296 Member
edited September 21 in Recipes
What is your favorite way to eat Quinoa?

Replies

• Curried Quinoa Recipe

Serves Six to Eight 1.Rinse quinoa with cold water. Use a fine mesh filter or coffee filter. If you're a klutz like me use the fine mesh filter or a lot of quinoa is going to wind up in the sink!

Quinoa is coated with a natural substance called saponin that protects the grain by repelling insects and birds. Rinsing the quinoa is important to avoid a raw or bitter taste. You can tell if there is saponin by the production of a soapy looking "suds" when the seeds are swished in water.

Good news! If you are using Ancient Harvest Quinoa you can skip this step. It's already rinsed!

2.Place oil and diced onions in a heavy saucepan. Saute the onions on medium high heat for four to five minutes.

3.Add the ginger root, chile, and quinoa. Cook for one minute stirring constantly.
    A fine, white spiral appears around the grain as it cooks.

4.Stir in the turmeric, coriander, cinnamon, and salt. Cook for one minute stirring constantly.

5.Add the water and bring it to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 15 minutes.

6.Stir in peas. Cover and cook for four or five minutes or until peas are tender and all the water has been absorbed.

7.Fluff with a fork before serving.

Ingredients:
    1 Cup Quinoa
    1½ Tbsp. Vegetable Oil
    ½ Onion Diced (about 4 or 5 oz.)
    1 Tsp. Grated Fresh Ginger Root
    ½ Fresh Green Chile
    (Finely Chopped)
    1 Heaping Tsp. Turmeric
    1 Heaping Tsp. Coriander
    ¼ Tsp. Ground Cinnamon
    1¾ Cups Water
    ½ Cup Fresh or Frozen Peas
    Salt to Taste

Why is it called Curried Quinoa when there's no curry in the recipe? Here's a definition of "curried" as it is defined on dictionary.com...

East Indian Cookery. a pungent dish of vegetables, onions, meat or fish, etc., flavored with various spices or curry powder, and often eaten with rice.

Does anyone in your home or any of your friends constantly lose their things like keys, purses, wallets, cell phones...everything?
    Click here now to find out about the FOFA Key Finder...
    Optional Ingredient for Curried Quinoa: 1 to 2 Tbsp. Chopped Cilantro. Exercise caution on this ingredient! There are two kinds of people - those who love cilantro and those who hate cilantro. Nobody is in between. So, if you know you like cilantro go for it! If you don't know whether you like it add it at your own risk. You might break some leaves off of fresh cilantro in the grocery store. Crush it between your thumb and finger and smell it. If it smells good you're probably a cilantro lover. If it smells like old gym shoes you probably hate it. My advice? Make the curried quinoa without it and see how you like it. If you do wind up adding cilantro, you add it at the very end when you're fluffing the quinoa with a fork.
    Curried Quinoa serving suggestion: This dish is great with pork tenderloin and peach salsa. It's also great with fish.
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    That sounds good. I clean the quinoa the same way but preparation is simpler. Quantities (liquid and quinoa) as package says.

Olive oil and a diced shallot until soft (med heat)
    Toast quinoa on med heat with shallot
    Add liquid - I use veggie broth usually but chicken broth is good too Fat free and Low sodium of course!
    Add salt and pepper
    15-18 mins until cooked
    Thrown in a handful of craisins
    Throw in a handful of chopped natual almonds

Done!
  • bballgrrl34
    bballgrrl34 Posts: 174 Member
    I wanna try quinoa. What does it even taste like? I would love to hear recipe so when I do finally work up courage to try it. Thanks
  • ArchyJill
    ArchyJill Posts: 548 Member
    I wanna try quinoa. What does it even taste like? I would love to hear recipe so when I do finally work up courage to try it. Thanks
    Oh geeze....not weird at all so try it! I don't think it has much flavor myself...not any stronger than something like rice...and a nice fluffy texture too!

I mix mine with a tad (1 TBS) soy nut butter...YUM.
  • candlegal
    candlegal Posts: 220 Member
    I am so glad this topic came up. I have had a box of quinoa from Trader Joes in my cupboard for about a month. I haven't made it yet because I didn't have any good recipe for it. Thank you! I know it is suppose to be very good for you, that's why I bought it. I think it is a good "grain" if you can't tolerate wheat products. I will try this recipe. It is also used in cold salads. Now I'm excited to try it, maybe this weekend.
  • Quinoa Salad Recipe:

Ingredients
    1 1/2 cups quinoa
    1 1/2 cups canned black beans, rinsed and drained
    1 1/2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
    1 1/2 cups cooked corn (fresh or frozen)
    1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
    4 scallions, chopped
    1 tsp. garlic, minced fine
    1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
    1/4 cup fresh cilantro
    1/3 cup fresh lime juice
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1 1/4 tsp. ground cumin
    3 - 5 tablespoons of olive oil
    optional: tomato finely chopped or mild can of rotel drained or chopped deseeded jalapeno

Directions

Rinse quinoa in a fine sieve (or coffee filter) under cold running water until water runs clear. Put quinoa in a pot with 2 1/4 cups water (used vegetable broth with a shake or two of some spices). Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer 20 minutes or until water is absorbed and quinoa is tender. Fluff quinoa with a fork and transfer to a large bowl and allow to cool.

While quinoa is cooking, in a small bowl toss beans with vinegar and salt and pepper to taste.

Add beans, corn, bell pepper, scallions, garlic, cayenne and cilantro to the quinoa. Toss well.

In a small bowl whisk together lime juice, salt, cumin and add oil in a stream while whisking. Drizzle over salad and toss well with salt and pepper. Salad may be made a day ahead and refrigerated, covered. Bring to room temperature before serving.

Makes 8 servings.
  • Jennwith2ns
    Jennwith2ns Posts: 296 Member
    Thanks for all the ideas!
  • Ryhenblue
    Ryhenblue Posts: 390 Member
    I make a banana pudding with quinoa.

Mash up a banana with about a half cup milk ( I use almond) mix in 2 servings of chilled quinoa. You can add more quinoa or milk depending on how thick you want it. I add a dash of vanilla extract and some cinnamon. Makes 2 servings.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    I gotta read these recipies.....I have a box of quinoa in my pantry and have yet to eat any. My mom says it makes a great breakfast cereal though.
  • Where do you purchase your box of quinoa - at a local food store - health store - bulk barn ? I'm gluten free and would love to try a few of these recipes for sure.
This discussion has been closed.