A little advice for a gym newb....

Options
I'm planning on joining a gym (planet fitness) my goal for right now is to lose weight. The gym is full of cardio machines which is great I can work an elliptical machine like nobody's business, BUT I also want to tone and strength train. The gym has plenty of machines for this too the problem is I dont really know what I am doing when it comes to these types of machines. I dont know where to start or how to start, how many reps what machines do what etc. I was hoping anyone reading this with a clue could shed some light. I want to start slow....I dont want to get soooo sore that I cant walk the next day. Please help.

Replies

• MissB46
    MissB46 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    My advice would be, if you are a total novice to invest in some PT sessions, make sure you get recommendations as to who is the best person to go with (even if it does cost a bit extra) but there are good PT's and not so good ones in every gym.

They should be able to tell you the basics and write you a programme based on your goals....
  • velocityc6
    velocityc6 Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    The PF that I belong to offers free training from the staff. I have not used it so I'm not sure of the value. It may be worth looking into.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    If you're not sure how to use a machine just watch someone else, ask a trainer, or somebody that looks like they know what they're doing.

As far as what to do and how many reps, you may want to find a beginners program to follow. I hear good things about Starting Strength or the New Rules of Lifting.
  • simona815
    simona815 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thank you I will check both out.
  • i_ausfahrted
    Options
    HEY!!

OK my advice for you is to do some body weight basics ie: squats, lunges, push-ups. Do not use any additional weight until you get used to the movement and correct form. The key is to use the muscles in your glutes, keep your heels and feet firmly on the ground. You can start off doing 5-10 reps at a time, maybe 2-3 sets until you can handle it. Remember to start low and slow and listen to your body. Do not get discouraged and do what you can.

Cardio-wise, I lost my first 20-25 lbs using solely an elliptical machine. Interval training is great. You can do a continuous 15-25 min moderate intensity or vary it up. The key is to start off slow so as to not get discouraged and you come back the next gym day wanting to do it again.

If you want to try running, I've suggested to you in the past, try download the "Get Running" app. It starts you off very basic, run 1 min, walk 2 min x 8. It tells you when to start running and when to stop and keeps you encouraged. You can set your iphone to play music in the background also and the virtual trainer will jump in between the music. It worked great for me and I have Marah using it as well. She now is up to running 3 and 5 min intervals from never running at all!

Hit me up if you have any questions!!!
  • simona815
    Options
    HEY!!

OK my advice for you is to do some body weight basics ie: squats, lunges, push-ups. Do not use any additional weight until you get used to the movement and correct form. The key is to use the muscles in your glutes, keep your heels and feet firmly on the ground. You can start off doing 5-10 reps at a time, maybe 2-3 sets until you can handle it. Remember to start low and slow and listen to your body. Do not get discouraged and do what you can.

Cardio-wise, I lost my first 20-25 lbs using solely an elliptical machine. Interval training is great. You can do a continuous 15-25 min moderate intensity or vary it up. The key is to start off slow so as to not get discouraged and you come back the next gym day wanting to do it again.

If you want to try running, I've suggested to you in the past, try download the "Get Running" app. It starts you off very basic, run 1 min, walk 2 min x 8. It tells you when to start running and when to stop and keeps you encouraged. You can set your iphone to play music in the background also and the virtual trainer will jump in between the music. It worked great for me and I have Marah using it as well. She now is up to running 3 and 5 min intervals from never running at all!

Hit me up if you have any questions!!!

Whose better than you??? Thank you!!
  • amlynn16
    amlynn16 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Most, if not all, Planet Fitness locations should offer some sort of Personal Training for free. In theory, they should be able to show you the machines and how they work. I am currently at a Planet fitness. Have been for over a year. A LOT of people who are in there to work out are generally willing to help out. I've had several people help show various exercises to do. I do agree that you need to start small so you don't get discouraged.
  • simona815
    Options
    Thx