Hungry after breakfast

Options
My typical breakfast is a packet of weight loss oatmeal, 1/2 cup peaches or pears, 1 TBSP of flax seed.

Within an hour or hour and half I'm hungry again.

That is like 225 calories for breakfast. Any ideas on something that is about the same calories but more filling or sustaining?

I'm trying to get that last 15 lbs and it is becoming harder and harder to do.

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    More protein and fat, maybe? And why "weight loss" oatmeal? Why not some steel cut oats?

But to tell you the truth, for myself I find a 200 calorie meal "lasts" me about 2 hours. A 500 calorie meal "lasts" about 5 hours. Especially if there's a good balance of protein and fat. My guess is, you need fewer carbs in your morning meal than you are having right now.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    You might try adding some protein. Maybe add an egg or some nuts or peanut butter in your oats. Protein takes longer to digest so it can make you feel full longer.
  • CindyB97
    CindyB97 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I have one egg and two pieces of bacon every morning, 180 calories, and it keeps me going until lunch.
  • kenzietate
    kenzietate Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    More protein and fat, maybe? And why "weight loss" oatmeal? Why not some steel cut oats?

But to tell you the truth, for myself I find a 200 calorie meal "lasts" me about 2 hours. A 500 calorie meal "lasts" about 5 hours. Especially if there's a good balance of protein and fat. My guess is, you need fewer carbs in your morning meal than you are having right now.

Fat and protein are definitely more filling. Any time I eat carbs like that for any meal I get hungry again almost immediately. I have to balance with fat particularly. Eggs and sausage or some other meat are way more filling and don't take any more time to make.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Try homemade steel cut oats instead (around 150 cal for 1/4 cup raw - about 1 cup cooked) as they're more hearty and will tend to stick to your ribs better. Proteins and fats naturally help us feel full longer, carbs tend to not be as filling, so have eggs, lean meat and/or greek yogurt too.

Personally, flax seed just makes me gassy so I end up feeling hungry due to indigestion - something to consider. Maybe think about a different seed or add in some nuts instead like walnuts, almonds or pecans.

For the oats, you can pre-make them so it's just as convenient as using instant. I make up a batch in my crock pot every weekend. Mix in 1 cup of steel cut oats, 1 cup of unsweetened almond milk, 3 cups water, 1 parbaked sweet potato (microwave for 3 min then peel and dice - be sure to cut slits in skin so it doesn't explode), 2 apples cored but not peeled and diced, 1/2 cup chopped pecans and a heavy dash of cinnamon, nutmeg and ground ginger. Cook on low for 5 hours, shut off heat and let continue cooking and cooling for 1-2 hours then distribute into containers that are easy to throw into your lunch box. Makes 6 servings, around 230 cal each, just over 1 cup each.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    For the oats, you can pre-make them...

Mmmm that recipe sounds good right now.
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    My typical breakfast is a packet of weight loss oatmeal, 1/2 cup peaches or pears, 1 TBSP of flax seed.

Within an hour or hour and half I'm hungry again.

That is like 225 calories for breakfast. Any ideas on something that is about the same calories but more filling or sustaining?

I'm trying to get that last 15 lbs and it is becoming harder and harder to do.

Admittedly, I have problems with my blood sugar and oatmeal makes my blood sugar drop like crazy. I don't know what "weight loss" oatmeal would do - kill me, maybe :laugh:

I eat about 350 calories for breakfast, usually complex carbs (like whole wheat toast) + protein (I love the Egg Beaters and soy "sausage patties"! :heart: ). Regardless of how many calories I eat at breakfast I will still get hungry about 10 am, so I usually have a snack (approx. 200 calories) about 9:30.

I hope this helps.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I agree with looking for something that has more protein, fat, and fiber. These help us stay fuller and more satisfied throughout the day. But I also want to point out that breakfast is just simply not for everyone. Some people will always feel hungrier after breakfast, no matter what they eat.

If you're honestly hungry first thing or if skipping breakfast makes you lethargic, irritable, or has other negative effects, then of course you should eat it and you have some good recipes above. But if you're only eating breakfast because you think you need it for weight loss, then it's entirely okay to skip it or eat later in the day.
  • thedarkwombat
    thedarkwombat Posts: 123 Member
    Options
  • Pipsg1rl
    Pipsg1rl Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    The size of an oatmeal packet for me also leaves me hungry and I've found that the "diet" or "weight loss" packets taste like aspartame or other fake sugars.

So I prefer to cook some Quaker Oats (one serving size 1/2c dry) with an egg. You can't taste the egg and for sweetener I add honey, then cinnamon for taste. It's one of my favorites. AND i can control how moist or dry I want the oats. For fun if I have them I add berries.

For work mornings I've started doing 1/2c dry oats + 1tbs almond butter +1tbs honey + cinnamon. I put some water in it at the office and microwave it for about 30s-1m. One of my new favorite recipes.

I am a breakfast person, have been since I was a child. My husband doesn't normally eat breakfast and our son likes his after he's been awake for an hour or 2.
  • rhileyschubbygranny
    Options
    My Nutritionist has me eating 1 Cobanie Greek Yogart at 8:00am then 1 packet of Quaker Lower Sugar Oatmeal at 10-10:30am. Works perfectly for me. If I switch it around I get hunry earlier than 10-10:30am because there is much lower protein in the oatmeal than the yogart.
  • Tagwild12345
    Tagwild12345 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi I have porridge it's filling and 200 calories. I buy the ready made just add water pots
  • mshippiequeen
    mshippiequeen Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    i call this beauty "breakfast...whatever"
    i split it into two servings to have over breakfast and lunch. it's hot and a total gut bomb -

4oz egg whites (separated yourself or egg beaters. egg beaters are easier but sooo expensive)
    4oz skim
    2 cups frozen spinach thawed
    4 melba toasts broken into little crouton pieces
    1 tbsp country crock
    1/2 tsp morton's lite salt
    pepper, onion powder, salt-free seasoning (original ms. dash or store brand)

preparation
    beat egg whites, milk, salt and spices together and drain spinach. i'm usually in a hurry when i make this, so i cook it on my last number below "hi" on the stovetop - make sure you spray the pan and scramble everything together constantly. it should be good to go in 5ish minutes. separate evenly as possible into two tupperwares. break two melbas over each serving and drizzle 1/2 tbsp of melted country crock over each one, getting as many of the melba pieces as possible. i know it sounds and looks like an insulting amount of butter, but believe me, you'll find with this dish and others that it's really all you need to make food taste delicious.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

The weight loss oatmeal has added protein (soy based)....I couldn't get past the taste.....and added fiber.

OP- I guess the piece you are missing is fat. Instead of peaches try adding in a spoon of peanut butter. You could make your oatmeal with milk instead of water....that would add even more protein.

This is my filling go to........

Greek yogurt, add in Kashi GoLean (or FiberOne) berries & slivered almonds.
  • MizStephanie
    MizStephanie Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I eat a flat out wrap (90 calories) a banana (80-100 calories) and a tablespoon of reduced fat peanut butter (90 calories). This is around 280-300 calories…and it keeps me full all the way up until lunch time! I have a good mix of carbs and protein. You should try it!
  • MizStephanie
    MizStephanie Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Oh…and fats!
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I agree with skipping or delaying breakfast. The moment I eat (no matter what it is), I'm hungry. Currently I've been eating an egg and sweet potato hash for breakfast, but it doens't matter if I have an omelet or doughnut (though I haven't had a doughnut for breakfast for months).

I have cream with my coffee and that tides me over until about 10 a.m. If I eat at 7 a.m., I'm the same amount of hungry as I am if I skip the 7 a.m. feeding. My hunger throughout the day doesn't change either.

Don't make breakfast a habit because the breakfast industry has convinced you that you must eat the moment you wake up. Eat when you really get hungry. Leangains.com has some interesting research on the subject. And while I don't follow that exactly, it makes sense to me.

No harm has come to me from eating my first meal four hours after I wake.
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    2 egg mushroom omelet, a hint of parmesan with a side of sweet vine cherry tomatoes, nom (although I do use salt and herbs in my recipe)
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options

:noway:
  • laurie04427
    laurie04427 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering if the sugars from the oatmeal/fruit are making you hungry?

I do this (granted it isn't yummy whatsoever) which is similar and don't get hungry for hours:

1/2 c 1 min oats dry
    1 apple cut up (unpeeled)
    1 tbsp. flaxseed
    1tbsp chopped walnuts
    1/3 c unsweetened almond milk and water for the right consistency

Edit: according to my recipe = 317 calories, but if you skip the walnuts maybe..