FMS (Functional Movement System)

Options
Does anyone or has anyone trained with this system? What are your opinions/thoughts?

I have the opportunity to do it. I have a hard time throwing down a **** load of money to do it though. (200/biweekly)

When I did the screen, my weak points where area's that I know about. I am no expert in fitness but can't I put together some exercises to strengthen these areas without paying 400/month?

Replies

• 04hoopsgal73
    04hoopsgal73 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    I just began FMS. It is being presented in a series of 10 workshops. The cost and education is spread out over months of time.
    In the end the overall cost will be $500.00. My physical history has me compensating and poor balance fitness during my workouts
    and in my every day life.

You can strengthen these areas, yes. The main thing I see is that you learn about your limitations, and your right and left imbalances. We’ll be learning how to not compensate or substitute body movement patterns during movement of any kind:
    walking, weight lifting, running, etc.

So you can strengthen the areas but how do you know if your movement pattern-efficiency-skill is balanced and adequate to begin with? I hope to gain the knowledge and body adequacies to remove the poor balance and compensations that will keep me both fit and healthy into my golden years.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I am not sure exactly what you are spending the money for. Is this a series of training sessions?

I glanced over the website quickly and I think this is a valid program (by that I mean it 's not a scam, I'm not endorsing it), esp if it involves working one-on-one or in a small group with a trainer.

Like any exercise program, you have to ask the fundamental questions: what are my goals? and will this program work to meet those goals?

I would not too much into the screening results. Everyone has movement/balance/strength defects and these can often be corrected with a regular strength/stretching program. Just like almost everyone has some issues with their walking/running gait--it doesn't mean they all need orthotics. Again I am not implying that there is anything misleading about it--you just have to keep it in perspective.

This type of program is going to take more of a "micro" approach to movement. I looked at some of the exercises on their website and they seemed to belong to one of two categories--compound movements that are not significantly different from those that a lot of trainers do every day (along with some interesting new ideas that I am going to steal), and arcane exercises that more intensively target small joint areas.

All of these are good things, but I always ask: how much time can you really spend exercising. This is a common problem when designing programs for people--there is only so much you can do. Someone who needs to lose 100lbs doesn't really have time to spend 30 minutes working on dorsiflexion and balance I run into this all the time, esp with older clients. They often are coming from therapy where they have been spending 60 min working on just their knees, and now we have to spend the same time working on their whole bodies. Or they have multiple issues that have to be prioritized.

For someone who had some significant defects in their functional movement ability, this would probably be a helpful investment. Functional movement is an area that most personal trainers could benefit from greater training (including myself).

So, bottom line, we are back to goals (yours) and whether a specialized program such as this is the best way to meet them.
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    bump for later.
  • beatnik236
    beatnik236 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input.
    I am not sure exactly what you are spending the money for. Is this a series of training sessions?

I glanced over the website quickly and I think this is a valid program (by that I mean it 's not a scam, I'm not endorsing it), esp if it involves working one-on-one or in a small group with a trainer.

Like any exercise program, you have to ask the fundamental questions: what are my goals? and will this program work to meet those goals?

I would not too much into the screening results. Everyone has movement/balance/strength defects and these can often be corrected with a regular strength/stretching program. Just like almost everyone has some issues with their walking/running gait--it doesn't mean they all need orthotics. Again I am not implying that there is anything misleading about it--you just have to keep it in perspective.

This type of program is going to take more of a "micro" approach to movement. I looked at some of the exercises on their website and they seemed to belong to one of two categories--compound movements that are not significantly different from those that a lot of trainers do every day (along with some interesting new ideas that I am going to steal), and arcane exercises that more intensively target small joint areas.

All of these are good things, but I always ask: how much time can you really spend exercising. This is a common problem when designing programs for people--there is only so much you can do. Someone who needs to lose 100lbs doesn't really have time to spend 30 minutes working on dorsiflexion and balance I run into this all the time, esp with older clients. They often are coming from therapy where they have been spending 60 min working on just their knees, and now we have to spend the same time working on their whole bodies. Or they have multiple issues that have to be prioritized.

For someone who had some significant defects in their functional movement ability, this would probably be a helpful investment. Functional movement is an area that most personal trainers could benefit from greater training (including myself).

So, bottom line, we are back to goals (yours) and whether a specialized program such as this is the best way to meet them.