My athleticism is screwing up my weight loss goals!

Options
Before I started roller derby I was doing several things right. A combination of intermittent fasting and paleo helped me drop 25 lbs in about 2 months, and I loved it.

But when I joined roller derby it became incredibly evident that my 4 hours of constant skating was not having the right affect on my body- my focus was terrible, my attitude was awful. I started eating more carbs, started eating breakfast. I haven't lost an inch from my waist or a pound since. I have lost an inch from my thighs and calves though, and my endurance has absolutely increased.

So my current schedule is Fridays and Sundays I skate for 3 hours. I'd like to into a diet rhythm that doesn't involve junk foods, but isn't necessarily carb-restrictive but I'd prefer to keep it to natural sources like veggies instead of bread. I'd also like to work out 30-60 minutes two other days a week, at least. If someone recommends more I am willing to try. I have hand weights up to 6lbs, exercise bands, and a balance ball.

Can anyone help me figure out what is the best way to get my body the fuel it needs to perform and reshape itself in to badass muscle?

I should also disclose that I am pretty terrible at eating and making my calorie goals. My usual calorie intake is maybe 900 calories on a good day- I have a hard time balancing healthy foods and the quantities required to make 1200-1500 calories. A bowl of cereal, a salad for lunch, and dinner is usually in the 500 cal range. It's bad. Any suggestions?

Replies

• ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    If you have lost inches on your legs, but not lost pounds, that sounds like lost fat and gained muscle.
    Makes me think you are on the right track.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    What you are trying to achieve is fairly difficult.

Athletic performance relies on energy availability whereas losing fat requires energy restriction - they are essentially opposing goals.

You could maintain a small deficit, remain patient and accept it may take longer than expected to reach your goal. Alternatively you may put the performance goal on hold and go for it on the fat loss goal in a big way. Finally, you could just say "screw it, being athletic totally kicks *kitten* and is much better than looking a certain way" and smile.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I'd like to into a diet rhythm that doesn't involve junk foods, but isn't necessarily carb-restrictive but I'd prefer to keep it to natural sources like veggies instead of bread. I'd also like to work out 30-60 minutes two other days a week, at least. If someone recommends more I am willing to try. I have hand weights up to 6lbs, exercise bands, and a balance ball.

Can anyone help me figure out what is the best way to get my body the fuel it needs to perform and reshape itself in to badass muscle?

What is wrong with the diet you descibe above - not low carb, but not junk. Whole grains are a great source of fuel. Brown or black rice, quinoa, oats, wheat berries, etc. You don't have to eat something overly processed like bread if you want to eat grains.

Beans are also a great source of carbs since they are nutrient dense, low calorie and contain fiber and protein.

Just eat a sensible balanced diet.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    I should also disclose that I am pretty terrible at eating and making my calorie goals. My usual calorie intake is maybe 900 calories on a good day- I have a hard time balancing healthy foods and the quantities required to make 1200-1500 calories. A bowl of cereal, a salad for lunch, and dinner is usually in the 500 cal range. It's bad. Any suggestions?

I've just seen your edit.

You obviously need to eat more. If you have trouble then consider low volume, calorie dense items (like nuts, homemade protein bars, cake - seriously) to bolster your energy availability.
  • cpusmc
    cpusmc Posts: 122
    Options
    For the exercise you are doing, 900 calories/day is extremely low. If you have been in this range for a while, there is a chance your body is in starvation mode and everything you take in the body is hoarding as it needs to pack away as much fuel as possible to keep you going. I would address the calorie issue first, if you can get your numbers more balanced and your body in less of a starvation mode, then you ought to be able to put yourself back in a "fat burning mode" as you are certainly doing plenty of exercise.

To build "badass muscle" you are going to have to hit the weights on those 2 days you reference. Heavy weight should help you achieve the muscle you seek but may require access to more weights then you say you have. If thats a problem, then I would implement body weight exercises for the upper body more often than 2 days per week as your skating is likely firming and shaping your lower body. My 2 cents... Good luck...
  • ruffnstuff
    ruffnstuff Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    It's not your athleticism screwing up your weight loss goals, it's being a young, active person who eats 900 calories a day that is. Eat more. Seriously.

ETA: And there ain't NO WAY you will build any kind of "bad *kitten* muscles" on 900 cals a day. Just no way.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options

There's your problem. Stop eating "diet" food.
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Before I started roller derby I was doing several things right. A combination of intermittent fasting and paleo helped me drop 25 lbs in about 2 months, and I loved it.

But when I joined roller derby it became incredibly evident that my 4 hours of constant skating was not having the right affect on my body- my focus was terrible, my attitude was awful. I started eating more carbs, started eating breakfast. I haven't lost an inch from my waist or a pound since. I have lost an inch from my thighs and calves though, and my endurance has absolutely increased.

So my current schedule is Fridays and Sundays I skate for 3 hours. I'd like to into a diet rhythm that doesn't involve junk foods, but isn't necessarily carb-restrictive but I'd prefer to keep it to natural sources like veggies instead of bread. I'd also like to work out 30-60 minutes two other days a week, at least. If someone recommends more I am willing to try. I have hand weights up to 6lbs, exercise bands, and a balance ball.

900 calories isn't nearly enough for a sedentary lifestyle. Remember you need 500 calories just for your brain to function. So think of it in terms of this...if you're not fueling your body you're body is cannibalizing itself. Meaning you're probably losing muscle when you eat at these low amounts AND exercise on top of it.

I would consider increasing your caloric intake about 100 calories per week until you're up to maintenance and stay @ maintenance for a month or two. Do NOT weigh yourself during this time. There will be some ups on the scale but that is normal since you've been eating at such a low amount. Take your measurements every couple of weeks instead.

And I could reconsider the low-carb thing if you are going to continue the roller derby gig.

Good luck!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    eating too little is going to be at odds with being an athlete.

- start weighing your foods, so you know your intake with some degree of accuracy
    - hit your calorie and macro targets.
    - low fat is not the way to go, BTW - your body needs fats. Eat full fat dairy, for example - it will help get your calories up, without feeling like you're eating too much. Add avocado or nuts to that salad, as another example.
    - 'diet' food is not necessary. Eating 'clean' isn't necessary. Eat mostly whole foods, and throw in a few of your favorite treats - this is more sustainable
  • BridgetteBane
    BridgetteBane Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of it intermixes- more muscle means a higher metabolism, for example. I just want to do it in a way that is slightly faster than a snail's pace!
  • trogalicious
    Options
    I know a lot of it intermixes- more muscle means a higher metabolism, for example. I just want to do it in a way that is slightly faster than a snail's pace!
    so is it more important to literally starve yourself to lose weight faster, or to lose it in a regular manner that will be easier to maintain in the long run?

....because you're on one path now, and it ain't the right one.
  • BridgetteBane
    BridgetteBane Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It's not starving myself, after a meal I'm not hungry and chewing on my arm waiting for my next meal. I eat nuts and good fats and plenty of protein. I just know it's not enough according to MFP and all the other things I've checked.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    It IS starving yourself.....Stop arguing with MFP and people who's been there and know what they are talking about.... Start reading, science, learning about nutrition and smarten up if you really want to be an athlete...If not - go ahead and eat 900 calories untill you have no muscle left and have screwed up your metabolism for life....

You were given a load of really good advise - it's your choice to follow it or not....
    Good luck with your goals....
  • trogalicious
    Options
    It's not starving myself, after a meal I'm not hungry and chewing on my arm waiting for my next meal. I eat nuts and good fats and plenty of protein. I just know it's not enough according to MFP and all the other things I've checked.
    WHY
    ARE
    YOU
    FIGHTING
    TO
    NOT
    EAT?
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    If you have been doing roller derby for a while, and you haven't lost weight (but are getting muscular and losing fat), then there's no way you are eating only 900 calories. It's simply not possible. Water retention might explain a short plateau at that calorie intake, but not a long one.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Being a Derby Girl > any number on the scale

Train to be a bad *kitten*. Not to see a certain number that's just a reflection of your mass and the pull of Earth's gravity.

Eat more, skate hard, hit *****es. If you want to see a certain number on a scale just change it's settings. There are much more rewarding things in life and you're already doing them.

This. Eat well and train to be bada$$. Bread isn't bad for you, oatmeal isn't bad for you, stop restricting for no reason. You can eat breakfast and do well. Eat like a bada$$ and go kill it in the rink.
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    i don't understand how a bowl of cereal, salad, and a 500 calorie dinner dont' even tally up to 1000 cals. my bowls of cereal are GINORMOUS! yes, yes, maybe *that's* why i'm not losing weight; )
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    So, you are physically active, eating only 900 calories and not losing weight? Sorry, but it is not possible. And the only explanation is you are greatly underestimating what you are eating.
  • Ecumft09
    Options
    According to the surgeon who put me on a VERY LOW Calorie diet before Gallbladder Removal surgery, that happens to be a Bariatric Surgeon, it is unsustainable to maintain a diet below 1200 calories. Yes, it can be done short term to mix things up but no more than a week or so. Your body thinks that you are in a famine and is probably clinging to every little bit of fat it gets in an effort to maintain normal functioning. Try going up to AT LEAST 1200 calories and see how that works. Good Luck!:smile: