Exercise Routine with Kickboxing and Zumba

Options
I am adjusting my routine because I have recently plateaued after losing 10 lbs. I love zumba so I go to class 3 days/week. I used to go to the gym on alternate days but felt very unsuccessful in that environment. I get bored and usually end up doing 15-30 minutes on an elliptical before I leave. So I recently started kickboxing and i am thinking of getting the unlimited class pass for the next 7 months.

My schedule would be as follows:
Wednesday, Friday and Sunday-Zumba
Monday, Tuesday and Thursday-Kickboxing with a rest day on Saturday. Do you think this is ok?
My goals are to lose another 20-25 lbs and really tone my whole body and also increase my stamina/endurance.

I have 3 free sessions with a personal trainer that I may or may not use to add in some gym/free weight on days instead of kickboxing or combined on days with my zumba classes. Do I need more strength training? I know almost nothing about the technicalities of exercising but I usually just focus on what feels right and shows me results. Help!

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I am adjusting my routine because I have recently plateaued after losing 10 lbs. I love zumba so I go to class 3 days/week. I used to go to the gym on alternate days but felt very unsuccessful in that environment. I get bored and usually end up doing 15-30 minutes on an elliptical before I leave. So I recently started kickboxing and i am thinking of getting the unlimited class pass for the next 7 months.

My schedule would be as follows:
    Wednesday, Friday and Sunday-Zumba
    Monday, Tuesday and Thursday-Kickboxing with a rest day on Saturday. Do you think this is ok?
    My goals are to lose another 20-25 lbs and really tone my whole body and also increase my stamina/endurance.

I have 3 free sessions with a personal trainer that I may or may not use to add in some gym/free weight on days instead of kickboxing or combined on days with my zumba classes. Do I need more strength training? I know almost nothing about the technicalities of exercising but I usually just focus on what feels right and shows me results. Help!

Are you using weighted gloves or toning sticks with zumba & kickboxing? I'm guessing you are getting only a little strength training (never done any zumba). Cardio is great for building stamina, but as you get closer to goal strength training becomes more (and more) important. Weights are really efficient.
  • mochapygmy
    mochapygmy Posts: 2,123 Member
    Options
    Personally I would cut 2-3 classes and strength train on those days. If you haven't lifted before you might want to use those 3 personal training sessions to get you started on that goal.

Good luck!

ETA: It seems like you really like group classes so does your gym offer Group Power or similar classes so you can strength train that way? Or make a gym weights buddy?