I think my dad is accidentally trying to break my diet.

Options
I'm on my computer watching the next day's P90X routine. I get up to grab a glass of water, as I get up I notice a box of doughnuts from Publix, which are amazing. It took me 30 seconds before moving away without any doughnuts in my hands. As I close in on my fridge for water, i notice in the corner of my eye a large box that says macaroni grille in my pantry. I look at it, and its Fettuccine Alfredo mix(which is my favorite food of all time.) I'm sure he bought it for me. So I go to my fridge, open it up, and what do I see? A 2 liter of mountain dew. that i couldn't handle, grab a large glass, filled it with a ton of ice and poured about half the cup. then I got water. I checked the calories and it was 110 for 8 oz and i probably drank about half of it due to the ice in the cup.

just something i'd like to share.

Replies

• jmo325
    Options
    It's hard. Things happen. Good food comes along. My friend brought over pizza and fried oreos the other day for dinner. I left, went to the gym for an hour, and came back and rewarded myself...relatively. Some indulgences are ok. I always plan for them and do some extra work at the gym though. :-)
  • fromaquasar
    fromaquasar Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    So hard when people around you are eating YUM food - my boyfriend does it all the time!
    Stay strong bruv x
  • fromaquasar
    fromaquasar Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    So hard when people around you are eating YUM food - my boyfriend does it all the time!
    Stay strong bruv x
  • Beebee78
    Options
    Massive massive hugs. It's not easy when others try and sabotage you - intentionally or not!

My husband has been following our change in diet with me - in fact we have just changed the way we eat full stop. I have found it so much easier to stick to because of this xxx
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Good for you! It's all about you, nobody else, just you!! No matter what anyone else does around you, it's gonna take YOU to push through it. I may not have a Dad in my house buying me food, but the stores in my town still sell, pop, donuts, and macaroni. I imagine it's extra tough sharing a home with folks that don't share the same spirit right now with the eating healthy kick.

BUT tongue in cheek I say "whatever doesn't kill us, makes us stronger!!' Did that put a smile on your face? :tongue: It was intended too.

Try not to think of your Dad as planting food in your path, he may or may not be doing that, old habits die hard, he's probably buying things he's always purchased that you've always eaten in the past. It takes quite awhile for others to take our changes seriously.

Keep doing what you're doing, keep coming on here and sharing when you wanna vent...no better place.

YAY YOU for not eating crap that would only bring you a icky guilt feeling and make you feel sick tomorrow.

Look at all the before/after photos on MFP and make that your motivation, look for all of them on Youtube, all over the net, they are everywhere. Food is only tasty for a moment, feeling good about ourselves and feeling healthy last So MUCH LONGER!!:drinker:

I'm proud of you for not caving but posting instead.....:flowerforyou:
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    You are strong! Talk to him - ask for support and tell him what he CAN get you to support you!
  • lee112780
    lee112780 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I go through the same thing at home. My boyfriend says he wants to support me, and most of the time he does. Tonight he bought doritos, candy, and popcorn with butter. See, he can have a handful of doritos and walk away, I CANT, and I went waaaay overmy calories :grumble: Im bummed, but I have to keep focused. We all have slip ups. Maybe you can talk to him? I usually have my BF hide snacks from me!
  • ninakretina
    Options
    Hugs for you cause I know what that is!! :(

I want to think it's not intentional, cause in the end everyone else in my house can eat whatever they want(even though it would be better if they join me on the losing-weight journey, for they all are overweight, too), but it really bothers me when they come to me saying "oooh I bought ice cream" or "oohh i bought doughnuts", it sounds like an intentional invitation to failure. That comes more often from my mom, someone who's mortified me since my childhood for my obesity and acts like she supports my efforts but jokes about it with everyone else...
  • bearski79
    bearski79 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    It's not fun. I was out shopping with my family the other day and they wanted lunch. I asked what they wanted, 2 minutes later i'm standing in line at KFC with the smell making me so hungry.

Got their food then sat there as they ate their meals.

Not fun, but eating my healthy lunch once we were home was kind of satisfying. I've never been known for my strong will power, so any victory is a step forward :-)
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options

<snip>... eating my healthy lunch once we were home was kind of satisfying. I've never been known for my strong will power, so any victory is a step forward :-)
    :drinker:
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    It's hard. Things happen. Good food comes along. My friend brought over pizza and fried oreos the other day for dinner. I left, went to the gym for an hour, and came back and rewarded myself...relatively. Some indulgences are ok. I always plan for them and do some extra work at the gym though. :-)

chocolate covered oreos I've had, but fried ones?? Today in the computer lab someone put out a big bowl of oreos and some other cookie--I didn't dare get close enought to see/smell/taste!! They said they were transfat free versions, but still so not worth it. So here's to will power!
  • pickledlilly
    pickledlilly Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    He just loves you and it's hard for him to adjust. After a while, when it has to be thrown out, he will reduce his shopping naturally.