Hello - New to the Site

sassypants68
sassypants68 Posts: 20 Member
edited September 21 in Introduce Yourself
Just saying "Hello". A co-worker told me about this site, and I started tracking on Monday. I LOVE it. I've done Weight Watchers in the past and was successful keeping weight off, but I'm diabetic, so I'm constantly battling keeping the "scales" in balance. Weight is creeping on (especially since I started taking an extra insulin shot daily), so I'm trying to do something before all of my pants don't fit! I already feel better just 4 days in because I can visually see that I've done well, and I've made better choices!

Replies

• championnfl
    championnfl Posts: 324 Member
    Hi Becky,
    Welcome, I'm diabetic also,its 2AM and woke up with low suger[70] Ate about 723 calories with an OJ,feeling better. Always was told [my wife is a pharmacist] that insulin doesn't make you gain weight,its the calories you consume. More than 1 person [doctors] have told me this. Would like to follow your progress[diabetics need support].My wife and I joined Sept.2nd and I have lost 3 lbs. Members are helpful and site holds you accountable[if you put 100% info in] GOOD LUCK!
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Hey Becky, welcome to the site, always good to have new folks join us on the journey! :flowerforyou: Sounds like you're off to a great start, you jumped in before your pants stopped fitting, YAY YOU! :wink:

Yea I'm a T2 myself, no insulin, but I use Byetta which has helped me alot since 2007 when I started it, I'm off all my other meds and will likely go off this one, just doing one at a time to make sure we catch anything that interfers, ya know.

I think with your attitude you're definitely succeed. This is site is magical, not because we don't have to work to make it happen but there's something magical about the ppl here! You'll find most are incredibly motivating, sooooo inspiring and such cheerleaders we have, even from folks joining up on their first day.

Some suggestions if you've not alread tried these out is as you meet others that strike your fancy invite them as friends, having newsfeed friends has made the world of difference in how this journey has worked for me. The humor, the silliness, the strength, the inspiration I get plus so much more from my MFPeeps on my Feed are beyond what I ever could have imagined. I spend more time there than on the boards but I do hit the boards from time to time.

I feel the newfeed is so much more personal to get to know others but the board is awesome in that thousands upon thousands of members can give their perspective on an issue you might be dealing with and need some support.

Jump in and get involved, it's what I recommend to anyone on here just joining, I tried it alone once, nope, you're like an island and you feel simply alone. Nothing like having friends all wanting to get healthy and fit together!

Again, great to have you Becky:flowerforyou:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Hi Becky,
    Welcome, I'm diabetic also,its 2AM and woke up with low suger[70] Ate about 723 calories with an OJ,feeling better. Always was told [my wife is a pharmacist] that insulin doesn't make you gain weight,its the calories you consume. More than 1 person [doctors] have told me this. Would like to follow your progress[diabetics need support].My wife and I joined Sept.2nd and I have lost 3 lbs. Members are helpful and site holds you accountable[if you put 100% info in] GOOD LUCK!
    Wow, very helpful to have that knowledge so close to home and I had not known that about insulin. I'm not on it but I do follow how it works for others as I do know ppl that are on it.

Thanks for sharing that championnfl :happy:
  • sassypants68
    Okay, forgive me if I get these these reply messages messed up. I'm still learning this site!

Thank you very much for the posts. Funny about the insulin. I've heard the same thing about insulin NOT causing weight gain. I've come to the conclusion that the end user is living proof (vs. text book) and that it does. lol I started gaining weight right after I started insulin a year ago August and then again when I started a second shot this July. (Immediately)

I know exactly what you mean about the OJ and low blood sugar. Wow, it really is nice being able to relate to others that have the same issues. I woke up with a 59 BS Tuesday night. I woke up sweating and knew I needed to get downstairs for juice fast.

A new thing happened last night though. I ran & walked on the treadmill before bed for 50 minutes (unheard of before this week). I needed to burn more calories for the day. When I was done, my BS was 112, and I didn't want to eat, so for the first time in a year, I didn't take my shot. I figured I was just going to sleep and it should hold steady. When I woke up, I was 117, so I stopped a potential low, didn't eat any food, and eliminated the insulin for one night. Not bad! :-)
  • Welcome to the site and good luck on your journey xxx
  • sassypants68
    Thanks Bee!
  • lizzyriver
    lizzyriver Posts: 8 Member
    Hi I'm new too, feeling inspired!
    Just saying hello!
  • sassypants68
    Hi Lizzy! Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.