Need some easy ideas for side dishes

Options
I typically eat a separate dinner from the family do to various reasons so I need some simple, quick and cheap side dishes. Coming home a throwing some fish on the forman or making some chicken is easy enough, but I need something to go with it. I am completely burned out on frozen veggies. Ideas?

Replies

• qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    spaghetti squash.
    baked potato.
    brown rice.
    edamame.
  • scparke2
    scparke2 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Steamers are easy and quick.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    bag salads
    saute up some broccoli slaw or rainbow slaw with a bit of garlic and olive oil
    roast peppers, squash, potatoes, etc

Are you also looking for light/healthy? If not, how about instant potatoes (idahoan are pretty good and come in many flavors), box rice mixes or noodle mixes (don't get the microwave ones, they're HORRID)
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    I premix a bag of salad with green leaf lettuce, baby spinach, broccoli and matchstick carrots each week. I just mix it up, put it in a gallon baggie and grab out a handful any time I'm ready for a salad. Quick and easy side, a blend so I'm getting a variety of nutrients and it's easy to change up. I add a bit of chicken at lunch, sometimes add cucumbers or chunks of pineapple.

Other potential sides - Baked potato (sweet or white), the Uncle Ben's 90 second rice packets are delicious and easy, canned beans or peas, pinto, black eye, purple hull, baked, white, navy...

Roasted veggies, squash, zucchini, green beans, mushrooms, onions.. just a bit of olive oil, sprinkle of garlic, pepper and salt to taste.
  • mjfer123
    mjfer123 Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Try fresh veggies.
    They are much crisper, have a better texture.
    Broccoli, snap peas, carrots are all fan favorites.
    Have them raw in a salad or boiled or cooked how you like.

Otherwise, try plain rice if you can afford the calories and carbs.
    Baked potato can cook in the microwave pretty quick.
    Fruits as a dessert.
  • popo312
    popo312 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. I had gotten that carbs are bad thing in my head for a while, I am now well stocked in sweet and baked potatoes. I do salads sometimes but all the measuring of each ingredient just gets annoying when trying to count everything. I need to find some ideas of something to do with beans.
  • ME0172
    ME0172 Posts: 200
    Options
    I too get tired of steamed veggies and salads for sides. Look into Quinoa. I had kept hearing about it and finally found a box of it in the pasta section of my super market. It's low in calories and high in protein. It's pretty plain so you have to cook stuff with it. I cook mine in my rice cooker and add a handfull of frozen mixed veggies (peas, green beans and carrots) and use chicken broth and water. Yum. There are all kinds of ways you can add flavor to it with looking online. It's replaced my rice and potatoes that i used to eat almost every night. Now I usually have a protein, veggies, and quinoa.
  • dietcoke281
    dietcoke281 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Sweet potato fries :)
  • SaintGiff
    SaintGiff Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    Clicked this because I thought it said "ideas for easy side pieces". Must learn to read rather than scan.
  • RUNNING_AMOK_1958
    RUNNING_AMOK_1958 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Roasted butternut squash. Cube it. Season it (garlic, thyme, whatever you like). Toss with a little olive oil. Bake at 425 for 30 minutes. 78 calories per one cup serving.
  • wthetri01
    Options
    Macaroni and tomatoes - boil a cup of macaroni, drain, add a can of diced tomatoes, and add a little Italian seasoning, salt and pepper, top with some parmesan cheese. You can also add some fresh baby spinach to the mixture while it's hot and it will wilt right in.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    For beans and veggies, try making a soup. The same stuff that tastes like work on it's own just goes down easier in soup. Roasting veggies transforms even the frozen ones into something yummy.
  • wthetri01
    Options
    Oh, and add some garlic or garlic salt to the macaroni and tomatoes, delicious and cheap!!!!
  • Rocky_ZG
    Rocky_ZG Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Put some coconut oil (non refined) into the frying pan.
    Fry (caramelize) big pieces of carrot, onion and perhaps some other veggies of your choosing, even some sliced chili peppers if you like it hot.
    Add dash of salt, and a lot of curry powder.
    End result is very tasty and relatively healthy, especially because of the coconut oil.

For me it is a best tasting side dish ever.
    That + big salad + some chicken is enough for tasty and really filling meal, while having less calories than one Big Mac.
  • dianniejt
    dianniejt Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Sweet potatoes cut up and sprinkled with pumpkin pie spice and baked at 400 for 30 minutes. OMG SOOO GOOD

yellow squash and zucchini, sliced, sprinkled with a bit of oil and parmasean cheese and baked

coleslaw mix with poppy seed dressing

add your chicken to a salad
  • MozzarellaSheep
    MozzarellaSheep Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Zucchini tossed with low fat mozzarella and italian seasoning is my favorite. <3

Some other suggestions..

Brown rice with edemame beans

Half a green bellpepper filled with cottage cheese and baked

Vegetable filled cabbage rolls

Mushrooms and green beans tossed with almonds and garlic
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Brown rice
    Sweet potatoes
    Baked potato
    Rice pilaf
    Asparagus cooked with olive oil and garlic
    Coleslaw
    Caprese salad- fresh mozzarella balls, cucumbers, and tomatoes in balsamic dressing