Should I just accept my set point?

Options
Last year I lost about 18 pounds (from 125 to 107lbs). I'm 5'2, 116lbs now and I'm not happy. The thing is, I'm still eating very clean but not as rigid with calories, measurimg and set meal times. I can't get under 115lbs no matter how hard I try, which is weird since I maintained at 107 easily for several months. My workouts have definitely increased in intensity and I'm lifting way more than last year. Should I just accept being at 115 or should I strive for my 107lbs again? I hate the fat on my thighs but I have to admit that not having to worry about every morsel of food that passes through my mouth is nice. Thanks. Do you believe in set points? I think mine's set at 115 and 107.

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't accept a set point.

What's your body fat %?
  • lunapetu0311
    Options
    Hi there. How old are you? Just wondering if you are older - like at least in your 30's. When I hit my 30s (and had two babies), my set weight changed (increased 10 lbs) and no matter what, I just can't get back to my old set weight. I really feel like this is just the new weight that my body wants to be at.

I think if you have to struggle too much to maintain a certain number then it's probably not a realistic number for your body.

Good luck :)
  • Lexandrei
    Options
    I'm 19, btw
  • Lexandrei
    Options

What's your body fat %?

Body fat measurements can be really inaccurate. They're used more to check consistency. I've gotten measurements varying from 11% to 20%. I squat 140lbs and, deadlift 115lbs and bench 65lbs if that can help you gauge where I'm at. There's a thin layer of fat over my stomach and my thighs got bigger...
  • WannabeStressFree
    WannabeStressFree Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Maybe your body composition has changed, do you like your current comp? Maybe before you had more fat and less muscle, since you've been doing strength your muscle might have increased?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options

What's your body fat %?

Body fat measurements can be really inaccurate. They're used more to check consistency. I've gotten measurements varying from 11% to 20%. I squat 140lbs and, deadlift 115lbs and bench 65lbs if that can help you gauge where I'm at. There's a thin layer of fat over my stomach and my thighs got bigger...
    What did you use to measure your bodyfat %?

Personally, i would work on either recomping or going the bulk/cut route. The reason you are probably struggling with a specific look that you are happy with is probably due to a lack of lean body mass. Even if you are at 20% body fat, which is really good, at 115 lbs, you will only have 92 lbs of mass, which may be a bit low for 5'2.

And your progress has stopped because you are not rigid with your calories. Eating clean doesn't mean you can't eat too many calories.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say it's a "set point"...I'd say that you probably have some unrealistic expectations of what your body weight should be at your height and age, particularly considering you're going from girl to woman.
  • WBB55
    Options
    What did you measure your bodyfat %?

Personally, i would work on either recomping or going the bulk/cut route. The reason you are probably struggling with a specific look that you are happy with is probably due to a lack of lean body mass. Even if you are at 20% body fat, which is really good, at 115 lbs, you will only have 92 lbs of mass, which may be a bit low for 5'2.

And your progress has stopped because you are not rigid with your calories. Eating clean doesn't mean you can't eat too many calories.

^^ +1 this ^^

See, if you want a specific look, you have to look at your BF% and lean mass. The scale weight doesn't matter. Different methods of measuring it will give you different results. But just pick one method (I use measuring tape and my scale at home). Stick with it for 6 months. Build muscle, lose fat. You might gain weight, but your measurements will be smaller and your body will be firmer. Isn't that what you really want?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    The thing is, I'm still eating very clean but not as rigid with calories, measurimg and set meal times. I can't get under 115lbs no matter how hard I try,

Not trying hard enough. Weigh your food. You're eating too much.
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    The thing is, I'm still eating very clean but not as rigid with calories, measurimg and set meal times. I can't get under 115lbs no matter how hard I try,

Not trying hard enough. Weigh your food. You're eating too much.

At 5'2, 115lbs she's probably not going to see the body composition she wants by further cutting. Maintenance eating and strength training would probably be a bigger benefit to your goal body than a calorie deficit. You're at a healthy weight, focus on composition, not the scale.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in set points. You said yourself you had been less rigid and that's likely why you're maintaining. But I don't think it's at all a bad thing to stay at 116-- that's a healthy weight for your height.

My advice is body recomposition. Eat at maintenance (which is what you've been doing) follow a progress loading strength training program and get .8 grams of protein per pound of weight.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    This sentence...
    The thing is, I'm still eating very clean but not as rigid with calories, measurimg and set meal times.
    Is incompatible with this sentence...
    I can't get under 115lbs no matter how hard I try...
    You lost the weight once - you already know what you have to do.

:)
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in set points. You said yourself you had been less rigid and that's likely why you're maintaining. But I don't think it's at all a bad thing to stay at 116-- that's a healthy weight for your height.

My advice is body recomposition. Eat at maintenance (which is what you've been doing) follow a progress loading strength training program and get .8 grams of protein per pound of weight.

This. This. A thousand times this.

Everyone spouting off with "you've been there before, you can do it again", do you even comprehend appropriate body weight and how to achieve a desired body composition?
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Everyone spouting off with "you've been there before, you can do it again", do you even comprehend appropriate body weight and how to achieve a desired body composition?

Everyone spouting off with "body recomposition", do you even comprehend you have no idea what the OP's current composition actually is?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I can't get under 115lbs no matter how hard I try

Huh. Weird.
    I'm....not as rigid with calories, measuring

Oh. I guess that explains that.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

Everyone spouting off with "body recomposition", do you even comprehend you have no idea what the OP's current composition actually is?

Fair enough, but she's at a healthy weight and unhappy with the fat on her thighs, so that's why I suggested it.
  • WBB55
    Options
    do you even comprehend you have no idea what the OP's current composition actually is?

Respectfully -- because you're truly awesome -- that's why my first question to her was "what's your BF%"
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say it's a "set point"...I'd say that you probably have some unrealistic expectations of what your body weight should be at your height and age, particularly considering you're going from girl to woman.

I second this. OP, if you looked up how many times women your age (18-20) come on here because, "I just can't get my legs to look like they did a few year's ago," you might see it differently. You're finishing development, and that often comes with some permanent body changes, which can include more fat distributed to your legs.

That being said, if you're lifting much more than before, you might actually be doing body recomp (as others have suggested). If you're not gaining, you're probably not at a surplus, and not eating at enough deficit to bring you down to this "ideal" weight of yours. Keep lifting and start measuring instead of weighing on a scale and see if that makes a difference in how you feel about yourself.
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options

I second this. OP, if you looked up how many times women your age (18-20) come on here because, "I just can't get my legs to look like they did a few year's ago," you might see it differently. You're finishing development, and that often comes with some permanent body changes, which can include more fat distributed to your legs.

That being said, if you're lifting much more than before, you might actually be doing body recomp (as others have suggested). If you're not gaining, you're probably not at a surplus, and not eating at enough deficit to bring you down to this "ideal" weight of yours. Keep lifting and start measuring instead of weighing on a scale and see if that makes a difference in how you feel about yourself.

This is everything that needs to be said. Don't focus on being the way you used to be. Focus on getting healthy and strong.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options

Depending on accuracy/margin of error, we kind of do. She stated she is 115, 5'2 and have body fat readings from 11-20%. Even at the highest range, which is probably the most plausible, that isn't a bad time to start recomping. I know many women that have started recomping at 25% or higher. But depending on the accuracy, it's possible it will take longer. But at 115 lbs, she is about 8 lbs away from being considered under weight. And the question the OP needs to answer, is she willing to go that low.

From my experience and the 20+ recent threads of women who are near or under weight, they all struggle with the same issue. High body fat % and low lean body mass. So even when they are underweight, they are not happy with their bodies.

I digress, and agree, that we really need more realistic numbers to make a good recommendation.