Scared to up my calories

Options
So when I first started using MFP, I was limiting myself to 1,300 calories and eating maybe 1,450 on days I worked out. I burn at least 500 calories every time I go to the gym and I go at least 5 times a week.
I lost 4 lbs quickly. I was ecstatic. And hungry. And didn't look any slimmer.
After doing a lot of research on here, I realized I just wasn't eating enough. I'm a 23 year old female, between 5'9" and 5'10" and weighing about 173 lbs. Pretty much everything I was reading was telling me to eat more.
So I slowly increased my calorie intake to about 1500, eating around 1600 on days I exercised. I haven't lost any weight since, but I've definitely lost inches. My clothes are looser and I've been taking pictures and have noticed a difference.
But my trainer at the gym helped me calculate my BMR and concluded it was about 1650.
He told me I should always be eating at least 1650, if not more because even when I'm not working out, I walk a lot and I enjoy moving around. He told me I should be aiming for 1700, eating 1900- 2000 when I work out.
Pretty much everything is telling me this is true.
But I'm just really struggling to believe it. I've grown up around weight obsessed women, have always struggled with my weight and just have a hard time allowing myself to believe that eating more will help me lose weight.
I guess I'm just looking for some success stories, some advice on how to eat these extra calories wisely and some reassurance that by increasing my caloric intake, I will see success.
Anyone experienced/ experiencing something similar?

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Don't be scared :)

Just up them slowly. You should definitely try to eat the 1650, total in calories, at least. You might not lose anything for another couple weeks, but then after that it will start dropping slowly.

Ok?
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    There are many many ladies here who are both shorter and older than you who eat more than that and still lose weight.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/506349-women-who-eat-more-than-1800-calories-a-day
  • JengaJess
    JengaJess Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    There are many many ladies here who are both shorter and older than you who eat more than that and still lose weight.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/506349-women-who-eat-more-than-1800-calories-a-day

Wow thanks for this. I've only been on MFP for a month and I do a lot of message board lurking, but I hadn't come across that thread. There are a lot of women on here (especially on my FL) and in my life in general who are really restricting themselves so it can be hard to trust that this works. I'm excited to look into it. Thanks again!
  • deksgrl
    Options
    Here is a group you might be interested in too. Maybe find some friends eating more:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3817-eat-more-to-weigh-less
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Wow, a trainer who actually seems to know what he's talking about. I'm impressed! But seriously, just do it!
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Well I for one am glad you found the truth. It's really difficult to imagine, but take it this way - you get to eat more, more of the things that you like, and stress less about dieting. You like moving around and going to the gym is good for you regardless of weight loss. What is the worst thing that can happen? You remain at the same weight? You lose more inches? You feel healthier and more energetic?

You CAN do it! I'm eating 2000 calories a day and not working out all that vigorously (I hate cardio) and nothing horrible has happened yet ;)
  • JengaJess
    Options
    Wow, a trainer who actually seems to know what he's talking about. I'm impressed! But seriously, just do it!
    Hahaha. I didn't realize my trainer was a rarity until my mom told me about a trainer she met with who advised her to eat only once a day...
  • silverinc13
    silverinc13 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4", 138-140lb (depends on the day lol) and 29. I eat - at a minimum - 2050 cals a day. I lift 3-4 times a week and do cardio 3-4 times a week, have a desk job but try to move around and do things to be active when I'm not stuck in a chair. I could 100% eat tons more all the time, and sometimes do to support my lifting. You may notice an initial bump in your weight but then it will settle back down (and probably go down more). Give it a go. Food is awesome.
  • JengaJess
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm excited to be able to eat more, just a little nervous haha.
    I'm definitely going to search around for some more friends who are eating more. It's kind of hard only having MFP friends who never eat more than 1400 calories.
    I have one last question for anyone who might see this.
    How long should I hold off on weighing myself? I expect that there may be some initial weight gain, and I don't want to witness it because I know it'll discourage me. I'm going to stick with judging my progress on my physical ability, my body, and some pictures. But eventually, I would like to see some weight come off. Should I give it a month before I hop back on the scale? Less? More?
  • silverinc13
    silverinc13 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Give it at least two weeks, somewhere between 2-4 weeks. See how your clothes are feeling and how you're feeling as well. Don't pick that day where you feel chubby and gross and then hop on the scale, wait a few weeks or so and then when you're feeling good hop on and see how it's going!

I highly recommend adding lifting to your workout routine as well if you aren't already. It will do wonders for your body :)
  • pukekolive
    pukekolive Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lknjohnson
    lknjohnson Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    bump.
  • JengaJess
    Options
    Give it at least two weeks, somewhere between 2-4 weeks. See how your clothes are feeling and how you're feeling as well. Don't pick that day where you feel chubby and gross and then hop on the scale, wait a few weeks or so and then when you're feeling good hop on and see how it's going!

I highly recommend adding lifting to your workout routine as well if you aren't already. It will do wonders for your body :)

I started doing some light lifting a little over a month ago, and I'm working with my trainer. For the past 2-3 weeks I've been doing some more heavy lifting and I think it's the main reason I'm seeing so much change in my body. Also I love it WAY more than cardio haha.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Give it a couple of weeks, and keep taking measurements or progress pictures or whatever you're doing. You're really looking for a weight loss range, not an exact number of calories, so even with the extra 50-100 daily calories you'll probably still well within that range.

I know what you mean about being surrounded by women who are constantly trying to restrict calories. It used to be triggering for me, but now it just makes me angry! Calories are just fuel, so why in the world should I have to try to run on as little fuel as possible, just because I'm a girl? Forget that. You deserve to be able to feed yourself enough to get through the day without feeling like you're running on fumes.
  • deksgrl
    Options
    You will have more energy and you will be able to progress better with the lifting when you are eating more.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4", 138-140lb (depends on the day lol) and 29. I eat - at a minimum - 2050 cals a day. I lift 3-4 times a week and do cardio 3-4 times a week, have a desk job but try to move around and do things to be active when I'm not stuck in a chair. I could 100% eat tons more all the time, and sometimes do to support my lifting. You may notice an initial bump in your weight but then it will settle back down (and probably go down more). Give it a go. Food is awesome.

this is like music to my ears...thank you~

edit: saying this because I have a very similar weekly routine like yours but I have been eating much less without any positive result for over a year...
  • FitGeekery
    FitGeekery Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    You've been given a lot of sound advice, so I just wanted to throw in a "Yay, go you!" sentiment XD Figuring out what doesn't work for you and being open to try something that might is a great step to take.

I had the same struggle for in the beginning, listening to diet/low-calorie obsessed chatter at work. It didn't take long to realize that when I eat 1200 cals a day I want to choke someone. Some people at work were trying to eat less, end up bingeing, getting next to no results and/or gaining weight back very quickly. Decided it was time to figure out a healthier and sustainable way for me to meet my goals and be able to maintain them.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Here is a group you might be interested in too. Maybe find some friends eating more:

I read through the thread you posted. It was inspirational for sure but I also noticed that the most posters were bigger to begin with and it made sense for them to eat "more" to lose. I am more curious about those who are in normal range (maybe on the higher end) but eating more to lose more...
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    Yes, increase your calories- if you are measuring and weighing your food and diary is very accurate! We tend to usually under estimate what we eat:)
    Also go by the results. Give each intake at least 3-4 weeks to see the results and decide based on that.
  • deksgrl
    Options

I read through the thread you posted. It was inspirational for sure but I also noticed that the most posters were bigger to begin with and it made sense for them to eat "more" to lose. I am more curious about those who are in normal range (maybe on the higher end) but eating more to lose more...

The idea is, whatever height you are, is to eat the highest number of calories you can while still losing weight. For someone who is 5'2" maybe that number is 1800. For someone who is 5'8" maybe that number is 2200. Find your appropriate deficit that gives you a deficit where you aren't starving, but still losing, and you are fueling your workouts. This along with getting enough protein will ensure that you do not lose as much muscle mass. Keep muscle mass is important for both health and cosmetic reasons.

You do not have to eat the minimum amount of calories.