42 lbs doesn't look like much...

Options

Replies

• LastFighter
    LastFighter Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I noticed it a lot in your neck.... keep your head and keep moving forward you will reach your goal.
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    We are our own worst critics. You can definitely see the difference.

Have a look at this:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/114527-depressed-because-you-ve-only-lost-a-few-pounds

I think you will have a new appreciation for the 42 pound loss!
  • aprilgicker
    aprilgicker Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I have had a few friends lose a lot of weight. and they all noticed the same thing. but I noticed that their arms and neck were smaller, which was confirmed by the measurements. If you look at your picture carefully you can see the same thing. They are the last place your body will store energy so this is the first to get smaller "noticeably"
    Hope this helps
  • randilea
    Options
    I don't know what you are talking about...I can definitely tell a difference. I think because we still have the picture in our head of what we looked at day in and day out it is hard to see past that. I here a lot of stories about people that lose a bunch of weight and look fantastic but still see the "fat girl" when they look in the mirror. We are our own worst enemy sometimes. Keep up the great work and you yourself will one day wake up and notice just how well all your hard work is paying off.

Congrats on your weight loss so far and I hope I can be as much of a support for you on your journey as you have been for me thus far.:flowerforyou:
  • NotAllWhoWanderAreLost
    Options
    I definitely see it! Your neck for starters and your forearms! Go ahead and measure with a paper held up to your screen: everything is bigger in the before photo EXCEPT the door and camera! :) People will start commenting soon, i am sure! And, for what its worth, i didnt take 'before' photos either (still havent and i have lost 31 pounds!) .... The idea of taking a pic in undies sounds mighty frightening (and not internet share-worthy!! LOL!!!), but it would be nice to have for our own personal viewing so we can see how far we have come.... I just might do that myself!
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    ...When you start out at nearly 400 lbs.

I've seen some update photos where people have lost 20 pounds and thier difference is amazing. But I've lost over 50 lbs and can't really tell a difference when I look at photos of me then and now. It's a little depressing but I think when you start out weighing as much as I did then it takes a HUGE weight loss before it's even really noticeable.

It's ok though. I can FEEL a difference and my clothes are definitely a lot looser - particularly my jeans.

Anyway, even though there isn't much difference I thought I'd post my update photos. Unfortunately I took my "before" photos after I'd already lost almost 10 lbs. lol So the "before" photo here is of me nearly 10 lbs lighter than my starting weight.

05-02-2010to09-14-2010_Front_Small3.jpg

Starting weight: 385 lbs. (4-25-2010)
    Current weight: 334 lbs. (9-17-2010)
    Goal weight: 140 lbs.

So far I've lost 51 lbs but I still need to do that about 4 more times before reaching goal weight - I have a LONG way to go.

I have worked hard for the past five months to get where I am at and do hope there are some clear visible differences soon. Even people who hadn't seen me in months still can't tell I'm losing weight. lol

Anyway, has anyone else experienced this? Losing a lot of weight and it still not being really noticeable?

I can see the difference, especially in your neck and the person who pointed out about the door gap behind you, is totally correct. In the after photo, you are standing more to your left anyway, but it still shows a big gap that was not there in the before photo, that means your hips have definitely lost some!

The reason some people, who lose, say, 20lbs, show a big loss whereas you not so much is all to do with percentages.

You have lost a total, so far, of 13% of your body weight. However, a person who weighs 150lbs and loses 13% of their body weight will lose 20lbs and on their frame it will notice in the way you are speaking about. The smaller the body in the first place, the more the noticeable difference.

You are well on your way to your goal providing you do not give up. What a massive weightloss you have had so far - OVER 50lbs!!!! For crying out loud, that is not to be sniffed at!!!! Continue and the weight can do nothing but fall off, seriously.

Get down to your goal, post your story and be that inspiration that you will be, because believe me, when you reach your goal, people won't just notice the difference, they won't even recognise you!

I take my hat off to you to be honest. You have a lot of courage, don't let it go to waste, keep going and make sure you take periodic photos everytime you drop 10-15lbs to keep so that you can look back and compare.

:flowerforyou:
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    The first thing I noticed was your forearms are smaller and your neck is much slimmer. Your waist looks smoother so it is noticeable. It is hard for people that see you day to day to notice the difference. Great job and keep up the good work.
  • exercisemom2010
    Options
    I can see the changes too!

For myself, it's hard to see the changes on me too. But I can feel them in my clothes! When I can wear a 22 and not a 28, that's a BIG deal. I think it's hard for me to see the changes because I have so much more to lose. I know once I get to the 90-100 mark, I'll notice! But until then, I'm just loving the pants change! My shirts are a little smaller but I don't like to wear them that way. I like when my shirts are a little baggy.
  • grover0ca
    grover0ca Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Actually, it is noticeable. Your hands, arms, face and side of your stomach look smaller. Keep it up. It takes time.:smile:

this was my thought exactly!
  • busymom74
    busymom74 Posts: 3,341 Member
    Options
    You can definitly tell!! Your arms are a lot smaller and so is your neck and down your sides! Good job! Keep it up and in no time you'll be at your goal!! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • hill242
    hill242 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I can see some differences as others mentioned. You have made some great progress, don't stop now! Keep your chin up and keep going!
  • dbrady102
    dbrady102 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I can definately tell a difference. I've lost over 20lbs but i still have over 100 to go so it's not that noticeable. Losing 20lbs on someone my size is way different than someone who only has 60 or so they need to lose. Don't worry though I can definately see a difference in your pictures - you're doing AWESOME!
  • carlita231
    Options
    100% noticeable! Congrats on your weight loss, that is amazing. You have done an incredible job and should be extremely proud of yourself for all of the hard work. I can definitely see the difference in your neck, shoulders, arms, and waist. Don't worry about coworkers not saying anything, in time they will say something to you. Keep up the amazing work and I am here for support if you need me.
  • MickeyLeigh
    Options
    I can see the difference. Your hands, face and arms look smaller to me. You have done an awesome job! And to me if your clothes are fitting better then you are losing inches and that right there is great! I don't always go by the scale because sometimes the numbers don't really matter as far as how you feel.
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I can definitely tell a difference too. I do think that the more you have to lose, the longer it takes people to notice. I have at least 110 to lose... I've lost 20 of that and just started having a person or two ask if I was losing weight. I really don't expect most people to even start to notice until I am at least halfway there. That is why it is so nice to have MFP friends to cheer me on and acknowledge that every pound lost is work on my part (and for you too -- 42 pounds is great!!!!)
  • chelekaz
    chelekaz Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    oh sweetie.. the first thing I noticed was in your neck and that your sides were not as bulgy (I can say this as I have way bulges being +250 pounds). You seriously are doing great and you are such an inspiration to anyone who is overweight and thinks "I am too big to do anything about it". My first goal was to just move.... it didn't matter if I was on the ARC trainer for 45 minutes or 5 minutes... as long as I started to move. And hon... you are doing it. Seriously.... I am proud of you and you are doing a fantastic job!
  • maurierose
    maurierose Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Wow, Congratulations on 51 lbs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is AWESOME, you're doing GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There's definitely a difference, and the more you keep going, the more dramatic that difference is going to be - like some of the posters above, I'd definitely pull out a tape measure and take those measurements along with your pictures - sometimes, between the scale, the tape measure, and photos, one of those will have more drastic changes that help to encourage you to keep going.

I'm proud of you! :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • Alioth
    Alioth Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Pfft! The changes are obvious. Listen to what everyone is saying and on those days you can't see a difference, go back and read the comments here. Your arms, neck, hips are waaaay different.

Instead of looking at the whole photos, use pieces of paper to cover up all but one section and look at that. For example, the spot on your arms under your elbows shows a huge change. The curve of your upper arms goes from convex to slightly concave.

Or slap a grid on both pics and measure that way if you have to. You have a nice camera, I assume you have Photoshop or some other software that will let you zoom in on one spot or add guidelines. Pretend you're comparing the outlines of a landscape and try to view yourself with an impersonal eye.

You've made amazing progress. You're an inspiration!
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I can totally tell that the shirt you are wearing hangs different after you lost weight, and your neck and arms look smaller, so it is noticable. I know what you mean though. I look at photos of myself when I had lost 20lbs and there is like no change.....then even 40 lbs......still not much.......56 lbs....okay I see some change.

So it is true that when you are heavier it takes quite a loss for people to really truly notice.

KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!!!!
  • bfish23
    Options
    wait to go on your progress thus far - i agree with everyone else who says you CAN see a difference - your neck and arms looks much smaller - you are doing great and i KNOW you WILL meet your goal!! *friend me if you would like support*
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!