Going low sugar/low carb!

Options
I've been doing great the gym and have definitley noticed my body changing and have lost almost 10 pounds in the last couple months. However, I know my big area for opportunity is my diet!!

Since I have PCOS, I really should be low sugar/low carb anyway. To set myself up for success, this weekend I plan to do some prep cooking! I get Bountiful Baskets (they only come every other week to where I live), so I am going to develop my weekly meals based off what is in my basket. I am going to prepare lunches for the week so I can just grab them in the morning and take them with me.

For breakfast, instead of coffee or an energy drink and some kind of crap snack, I am going to have some hardboiled eggs that I keep at work and bring a banana or apple and peanut butter, and keep some healthy snacks at work for the mid afternoon slump and before I go to the gym after work. Other than tea, I will only drink water and occasionally milk.

Any other tips for this low carb and sugar change? What helped other succeed? Any recipes in particular you are fond of?

Replies

• HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    You don't need to low-carb with PCOS necessarily. Try "low-GI" principles, which is actually just eating more whole grains and fibrous carbs.
  • Filmlotus
    Filmlotus Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Actually I tried both low GI and low carb/ketogenic diet so I can tell you a little bit about my experience trying to maintian my weight and hormones. When I was eating low GI, I found that white rice, refined carbs spiked my blood sugar levels and made me tired and moody. I switched to whole grain (brown rice) and oats after listening to the advice that whole grains are good for you, but I actually fall asleep after oats. They say oats are low GI, it certainly never acted that way on my body. It has never kept my blood sugar steady. I feel giant brain fog after oats. I used to eat lots of bananas, but this plus all the whole grain, made me gain 22lbs in a very short time. The paleo people do have a point, our ancestors did not eat grain all the time, so why are we so into grain instead of healthy fats and protein?

I've found that eating a big bowl of low starchy vegetables, like broccoli, kale, lettuce, cauliflower, green beans, zucchini, a tiny amount of pumpkin, etc, with a spoon of coconut oil, and a piece of protein, really helped me feel full and melted my weight off. I went from a Low GI eater to a Ketogenic eater. The major difference is that my fat intake is much higher on keto, so I feel the added benefits of soft smoother skin, additional fat burning, more energy, more satisfying delicious food to eat.

I say it depends on your goals and severity, but I would respectfully disagree that eating "whole grain" is a health food for people with Insulin resistance and PCOS. Stay away from sugar, bread, pasta, oats, white rice, eat only a small amount of brown rice and potatoes. You can do a lot of research about the effect of carbohydrate on blood sugar, and a cup of brown rice contains over 50g of carbs. So if your body can handle it, I say go for it, otherwise, try to go without it and see how you feel :)
  • HappyStack
    Options
    When I was eating low GI, I found that white rice, refined carbs spiked my blood sugar levels and made me tired and moody.

These are med-high GI foods, and on the GI diet should be largely avoided (unless paired with a source of protein and fat).

The truth is that aiming for complex carbs over refined carbs is simply more sating (white bread is still a complex carb, as is white rice), all foods are insulinogenic (spike insulin) to some degree, high sat-fat diets have been shown to possibly promote IR, and you can manage - even improve - IR with exercise and losing weight (in a much more effective way than Metformin will).

For us women with PCOS, the same principles of counting calories apply... you don't need to low-carb/keto to lose weight. Whole grains are recommended for controlling IR, but again you don't need to only consume low-GI whole grains to lose weight, either. I have had a heck of a lot of success without it... ultimately you just find what works for you. Psychology is a big part of sticking to and enjoying a method of eating.

The most overlooked thing in the management of PCOS is exercise. Lifting weights is essential, particularly if paired with light-moderate cardio.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    When I was eating low GI, I found that white rice, refined carbs spiked my blood sugar levels and made me tired and moody.

These are med-high GI foods, and on the GI diet should be largely avoided (unless paired with a source of protein and fat).

The truth is that aiming for complex carbs over refined carbs is simply more sating (white bread is still a complex carb, as is white rice), all foods are insulinogenic (spike insulin) to some degree, high sat-fat diets have been shown to possibly promote IR, and you can manage - even improve - IR with exercise and losing weight (in a much more effective way than Metformin will).

For us women with PCOS, the same principles of counting calories apply... you don't need to low-carb/keto to lose weight. Whole grains are recommended for controlling IR, but again you don't need to only consume low-GI whole grains to lose weight, either. I have had a heck of a lot of success without it... ultimately you just find what works for you. Psychology is a big part of sticking to and enjoying a method of eating.

The most overlooked thing in the management of PCOS is exercise. Lifting weights is essential, particularly if paired with light-moderate cardio.
    Whole grain reduces insulins rise that's why it works. Low carb or no grain would also do that, but in spades, so no you probably don't have to go low carb but it would control the problem more efficiently and that's why it's prescribed.
  • ars1300
    ars1300 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    No need for low carb, eat good whole grain sources, which your body needs for energy for workouts. Oatmeal, sweet potatoes, brown rice, couscous or quinoa all all good choices. Also don't forget Vegetables also have carbs. You can eat alot of vegetables and still get a good amount of carbohydrates from that.
  • charlicee
    Options
    I go "paleo" except for the occasional serving (1/2 cup dried) of whole grain pasta and near-daily serving of greek yogurt. No dairy, no grains, no added sugars. Got diagnosed with polycystic ovaries, but don't suffer from other signs of PCOS (like insulin resistance or extra body hair). I am completely fine, and actually prefer, having very unadulterated foods or simple meals to eat, like eggs scrambled with veggies, fruit mixed with nuts, plain boneless/skinless chicken with steamed veggies on the side. I may not have the energy boosts eating all those grains usually gives us, but I find I don't have the crashes, energy swings, or cravings that my friends do, too.
  • HappyStack
    Options
    Whole grain reduces insulins rise that's why it works. Low carb or no grain would also do that, but in spades, so no you probably don't have to go low carb but it would control the problem more efficiently and that's why it's prescribed.

Disclaimer: IANAD

One of the most understated things in the concept of low-GI eating is that protein - a foodstuff not even on the GI scale - can cause a greater insulin spike than so-called refined carbs alone. The GI of a food is complicated by the ingestion of protein and fat, because the way the GI index is sorted is based on 100% glucose consumption. White rice, for example, also contains protein and fat... but its GI is calculated (as medium, I believe) solely on its available carbohydrate (NET carbs, so total carbs - fibre). And, as I said before, if paired with a source of protein and fat its GI is lowered considerably.

Low-GI is not about insulin, as such, it's about circulating blood glucose - fasted blood glucose at that... and therefore if you're not diabetic that's not something you need to worry about (if you're prediabetic, losing weight - full stop - will do more for you than altering your intake of refined/unrefined foods). A low-GI food (i.e. a whole grain) will just cause a longer and sustainable insulin spike and help control blood glucose from varying too wildly... it can help with energy levels and such, but that's a personal touch. Taking vitamins helps some people feel more energetic, but there's few studies to suggest there's anything more than a placebic effect to doing so.

In general the principles of low-GI for women with PCOS fall into healthy eating guidelines for the rest of the population. That being, you can have sweets (refined carbs/high GI foods) just do it infrequently and keep it within your calorie goals.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    For breakfast, instead of coffee or an energy drink and some kind of crap snack, I am going to have some hardboiled eggs that I keep at work and bring a banana or apple and peanut butter

Banana is the highest sugar fruit, I would lose that altogether.
  • neanderthin
    Options

Disclaimer: IANAD

One of the most understated things in the concept of low-GI eating is that protein - a foodstuff not even on the GI scale - can cause a greater insulin spike than so-called refined carbs alone. The GI of a food is complicated by the ingestion of protein and fat, because the way the GI index is sorted is based on 100% glucose consumption. White rice, for example, also contains protein and fat... but its GI is calculated (as medium, I believe) solely on its available carbohydrate (NET carbs, so total carbs - fibre). And, as I said before, if paired with a source of protein and fat its GI is lowered considerably.

Low-GI is not about insulin, as such, it's about circulating blood glucose - fasted blood glucose at that... and therefore if you're not diabetic that's not something you need to worry about (if you're prediabetic, losing weight - full stop - will do more for you than altering your intake of refined/unrefined foods). A low-GI food (i.e. a whole grain) will just cause a longer and sustainable insulin spike and help control blood glucose from varying too wildly... it can help with energy levels and such, but that's a personal touch. Taking vitamins helps some people feel more energetic, but there's few studies to suggest there's anything more than a placebic effect to doing so.

In general the principles of low-GI for women with PCOS fall into healthy eating guidelines for the rest of the population. That being, you can have sweets (refined carbs/high GI foods) just do it infrequently and keep it within your calorie goals.
    Yes I know. Low carb is less circulating glucose which by default increases insulin sensitivity. Like I said your way is fine, but low carb works just as well and better for these conditions.
  • HappyStack
    Options
    Yes I know. Low carb is less circulating glucose which by default increases insulin sensitivity. Like I said your way is fine, but low carb works just as well and better for these conditions.

Edit, wrong study... I will be back.
  • neanderthin
    Options

Edit, wrong study... I will be back.
    It really doesn't matter, low carb is an effective strategy for people that have PCOS, other stategies work too, never said they didn't..
  • HappyStack
    Options
    It really doesn't matter, low carb is an effective strategy for people that have PCOS, other stategies work too, never said they didn't..

It does matter if you're talking about increased efficacy.

Low-carb/keto diets are not more effective for weight loss than diets with an adequate or high amount of carbs for women with PCOS and IR.

Do vegetarians with PCOS & IR lose weight more or less effectively than a female with PCOS & IR on a low-carb diet?
  • michael300891
    Options
    People need to stop worrying about low vs high GI. It doesn't actually make much difference.

What's far more important is glycemic load...

This is an estimate of how much consuming a food will raise someones blood sugar.

This method accounts for the actual quantity of carbohydrate within a portion and not just the isolated carbohydrate's effect on blood sugar.

Doctoral Researcher in Exercise Adaptation and Metabolism:
  • HappyStack
    Options
    Eh, low-GI can be a good reminder to make good choices. The underlying "science" is extremely questionable, but it can create a mental marker for those who find it difficult to make decent food choices most of the time.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    Eh, low-GI can be a good reminder to make good choices. The underlying "science" is extremely questionable, but it can create a mental marker for those who find it difficult to make decent food choices most of the time.
    It's about the total amount of circulating glucose derived from the food that's consumed, not the GI of a particular food. Watermelon is high GI and pasta and snickers bars are low GI.
  • HappyStack
    Options
    If you are not a doctor, then why are you posting with authority, especially for someone who has a medical condition?

Either quote from a source that has medical credentials, or....don't post at all.

If you MUST post, at least write out your disclaimer with real words instead of using the first letters.

And you MIGHT tell us the credentials that you do have.

Helpful.

I haven't posted "with authority" I've simply said that low-carb is not necessary for weight loss with PCOS/IR. I have not said that it doesn't work, though I have said that it is no more/less effective than a simple calorie-controlled, balanced diet and I have said that low-GI principles are the same as any other healthy eating principles.

If you'll notice my first few posts I've mentioned I have PCOS ("us women with PCOS") . I also have IR. I've spent a long, long time losing a lot of weight on diet that has not restricted carbs - refined or otherwise - in any sense. I suppose those are my "credentials".

If you have nothing of note to add, why are you posting?
  • HappyStack
    Options
    It's about the total amount of circulating glucose derived from the food that's consumed, not the GI of a particular food. Watermelon is high GI and pasta and snickers bars are low GI.

Not quite understanding how this relates to what I posted, unless you misquoted.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    If you are not a doctor, then why are you posting with authority, especially for someone who has a medical condition?

Either quote from a source that has medical credentials, or....don't post at all.

If you MUST post, at least write out your disclaimer with real words instead of using the first letters.

And you MIGHT tell us the credentials that you do have.

Helpful.

I haven't posted "with authority" I've simply said that low-carb is not necessary for weight loss with PCOS/IR. I have not said that it doesn't work, though I have said that it is no more/less effective than a simple calorie-controlled, balanced diet and I have said that low-GI principles are the same as any other healthy eating principles.

If you'll notice my first few posts I've mentioned I have PCOS ("us women with PCOS") . I also have IR. I've spent a long, long time losing a lot of weight on diet that has not restricted carbs - refined or otherwise - in any sense. I suppose those are my "credentials".

If you have nothing of note to add, why are you posting?
    Many interventions can effect an outcome for sure, but I just don't understand your stance on low GI foods. Low carb is by default a low GI diet, but then you go on and say that low carb and ones with high carbs is no more effective for weight loss, so basically your contradicting yourself by trying to instill the fact that's its about glucose and lower GI is more effective. And you seem to confuse insulin with glucose when you said that protein increase insulin, which is true but it doesn't effect or blood sugar levels because of the absence of sugars in protein. Anyway, if what's working for you is effective, that's great. I also just want to mention that refined carbs for the most part are complex carbs, you seem to think they're different.
  • HappyStack
    Options
    Many interventions can effect an outcome for sure, but I just don't understand your stance on low GI foods. Low carb is by default a low GI diet, but then you go on and say that low carb and ones with high carbs is no more effective for weight loss, so basically your contradicting yourself by trying to instill the fact that's its about glucose and lower GI is more effective. And you seem to confuse insulin with glucose when you said that protein increase insulin, which is true but it doesn't effect or blood sugar levels because of the absence of sugars in protein. Anyway, if what's working for you is effective, that's great. I also just want to mention that refined carbs for the most part are complex carbs, you seem to think they're different.

I think you need to re-read a lot of what I've posted. Particularly my second post and your first post, but all of them in general.

Low-carb is not by default low-GI, either, by the way. The grammage of carbs consumed does not matter in low-GI eating. As another poster said, it matters to GL... but a food's GI is not the same as its GL.
  • neanderthin
    Options

I think you need to re-read a lot of what I've posted. Particularly my second post and your first post, but all of them in general.

Low-carb is not by default low-GI, either, by the way. The grammage of carbs consumed does not matter in low-GI eating. As another poster said, it matters to GL... but a food's GI is not the same as its GL.
    It's the GL that needs to be addressed not the GI. Any yes, if someone is consuming the carbs prescribed in most low carb diet, they are low GI.