Vitamix recipes?

Options
I just got my vitamix blender today, it is waiting for me at home and I can't wait to get home and try it out!!! I thought I would see if any of you have any great recipes that I can try or any suggestions with getting started. I have never like fruits or veggies, the texture mostly, so I am hoping this will help me to eat better and help push me to losing my last 25lbs or so. I am not familiar with buying fruit/veggies or preparing them so any advice would be great. Thanks :)

Replies

• YorriaRaine
    YorriaRaine Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    For preparing fruits/veggies.

Frozen fruit and veggies you can use right out of the package, just get ones with no additives (meaning, no added sugar, salt, etc, get the flash frozen stuff)

Pre-washed veggie packages I tend to use right out of the package as well.

For the fruits and veggies that are sitting on the benches and stuff waiting for you to pick up, I get home and give them a quick soak in a vinegar/water solution (1:3 ratio). Don't soak them too long because you don't really want all the nutrients to end up in the solution. I rinse them off with water, dry them off in a salad spinner or clean towel and place them into plastic bags or containers to store them.

Banana's and apple's I don't really prepare, because you peel the skin off the banana and I peel the skin off apples because all the ones sold around here have a wax coating on them (tasteless, but still).

A nice recipe I eat almost everyday is this:

~45-50g of Baby Spinach or Kale (About a cup and a half compressed down.)
    .........Note on the kale, I cut off the stems so it has a better flavor)
    ~50g of strawberries (this ends up being 4 to 5)
    ~30g of blueberries (1/5 to a 1/4 a cup)
    ~15g of lemon juice (a tbls), if I'm using kale, to help cut down bitterness
    ~4oz of milk, you can use a milk alternative if you want
    ~17g of vanilla protein powder, for both flavor and more protein
    optional: ~7g of coconut oil, for added fat (to keep you full longer, and for health benefits)

You can do a lot of different flavors with those kinds of smoothies. Strawberries and mango is lovely flavor too ^^

Banana's help with creaminess if you like banana flavored smoothies, I don't, I eat my banana's all by themselves lol.
  • Tanana66
    Tanana66 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I make ice cream every day. We have blendtec, but it's the same thing...

400g frozen fruit (summer berries or mango or whatever you like)
    200g of low fat creme fraiche or yogurt
    splash of natural vanilla (or whole vanlla pod, all will be turned into a paste)

You could add any real or fake sugar if you like it sweeter.

If I make it with bananas I'll add a spoon of chunky PB at the end.
  • nicolen160
    nicolen160 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the help, love my new toy and enjoy trying all the new recipes I find on pinterest. I am still learning but so happy to be getting some fruits and veggies in my diet.
  • MyRummyHens
    MyRummyHens Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I <3 my vitamix! If you have the TNC then you can make soups in it too, on high speed it heats it up for you.

I usually make hot chocolate, protein smoothies and soups, but ice creams and sorbets are fun too!

Recipes are all down to personal taste, so it's worth googling because most of my own are probably inedible to someone else!
  • marcia217
    Options
    Hi Nicolen! Your story inspires me!! I have a Vitamix and love it too! great way to enjoy all the greens and veggies!! I have several of their cookbooks, which aren't cheap (although you might find some used on Ebay or Amazon) They are great, with lots of recipes! Good Luck!!
  • AJLovinLife
    AJLovinLife Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    There are some great recipes on their website. https://www.vitamix.com/Find-Recipes I am always looking for new recipes.

My Fave smoothie is
    a cup of chocolate hazelnut milk
    one banana
    a tablespoon of nut butter
    1 scoop of protein
    a scoop of chia seeds
    1 cup of ice cubes