How Can I lose my beer belly?

Options
If anyone knows any tips or secrets on burning off fat around the waist faster, please help me
I've been trying to lose it for a while and have lost some wight but I can't manage to lose my beer belly and some chest fat
Any and all help is appreciated!

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Do you lift weights?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Reduce the amount of beer you're drinking? Eat at a calorie deficit? Those are 2 legit ways to lose fat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Cardio
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Reduce the amount of beer you're drinking? Eat at a calorie deficit? Those are 2 legit ways to lose fat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

^ & this

You can try Select 55 ... but it isn't good :)
  • rgunn02
    rgunn02 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    If you want to loose the beer belly - loose the beer!
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    If anyone knows any tips or secrets on burning off fat around the waist faster, please help me
    I've been trying to lose it for a while and have lost some wight but I can't manage to lose my beer belly and some chest fat
    Any and all help is appreciated!

Eat at a calorie deficit. It's the future!
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I think the gentleman is referring to losing weight in those areas, specifically. Not just general tips.

OP, in my experience, your belly fat is the absolute last thing to do. Just keep on with good habits. Eat at a caloric deficit. Exercise often. Lift weights and focus on exercises that hit your legs / core (squats, lunges, deadlifts). If you work bigger muscle groups, like your legs, you get bigger and continued benefits.

Just make sure the only thing you are doing is cardio. Mix it up, keep your body guessing what's coming next, get lots of variety and eat cleanly.

You can do this AND continue to drink beer. You just might have to drink the light stuff or abstain for a few months, while you get the fat levels under control. Craft beer and buffalo wings are the bane of my existence, so believe me, I understand.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Stop drinking beer?
  • klkateri
    klkateri Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I'd rather bring a keg to the party than a six pack ;-)

Now seriously, I'm involved with Greek life via college for over 20 years and I hear the beer belly problem. I do cardio and sit ups, but I also cut back my "whole" beer intake and go now with light beer or lighter colored beer. I steer clear now of the Guinness (except for St. Patricks day lol) and drink more Sam, Molson, LaBatt Blue LIght ( <-- my go to light beer, sooo good!!). I also cut back on the sweet drinks and now prefer a mixed drink with diet (gross) soda or just shoot some premium spirits.

Its hard to do especially when your nickname is "Beer Wench" so drinking light beer goes against that a bit but it's all moderation too. If I know I'm gonna go out and go hard on the beer I take it easier on the food calories during the day. (Salad, lean meat, no crabs... ).

Also, watch what you eat after a heavy drinking session... that's where I gained weight. Nothing taste better after a night of drinking then a sub or onion rings or pizza.... Once I started taking in easy on that stuff too I noticed a reduction in belly fat.

Good Luck!!
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Amazing - if OP had described the fat around his middle as a "yogurt belly" would you advise him to give up yogurt?
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    I'm involved with Greek life via college for over 20 years and I hear the beer belly problem.

college is only four years long. what's taking you so long?
  • nourishnotpunish
    Options
    Stop drinking beer. Create a calorie deficit. Cardio.
  • Supertact
    Supertact Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Amazing - if OP had described the fat around his middle as a "yogurt belly" would you advise him to give up yogurt?

Clearly yes. lol
  • morehealthymatt
    morehealthymatt Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    mmmmm....beer
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options

:-D
  • norcalskater
    norcalskater Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    A calorie deficit every single day and exercise a few times a week and you will lose it. You can still have beer it just needs to be carefully planned into your deficit. Beer takes up a lot of calories though so the more beer you drink the less food you can have. I also want to say that "beer belly" is just a term for a large belly, it's not linked to beer, It's genetics. Genetics determine where your body stores fat. Some people it's their stomach, others it's their arms, legs and some people it's equally spread throughout the body.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I'd rather bring a keg to the party than a six pack ;-)

Now seriously, I'm involved with Greek life via college for over 20 years and I hear the beer belly problem. I do cardio and sit ups, but I also cut back my "whole" beer intake and go now with light beer or lighter colored beer. I steer clear now of the Guinness (except for St. Patricks day lol) and drink more Sam, Molson, LaBatt Blue LIght ( <-- my go to light beer, sooo good!!). I also cut back on the sweet drinks and now prefer a mixed drink with diet (gross) soda or just shoot some premium spirits.

Its hard to do especially when your nickname is "Beer Wench" so drinking light beer goes against that a bit but it's all moderation too. If I know I'm gonna go out and go hard on the beer I take it easier on the food calories during the day. (Salad, lean meat, no crabs... ).

Also, watch what you eat after a heavy drinking session... that's where I gained weight. Nothing taste better after a night of drinking then a sub or onion rings or pizza.... Once I started taking in easy on that stuff too I noticed a reduction in belly fat.

Good Luck!!

Do you realize Guinness has less calories than the other beers you mentioned?
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    now why the hell would u want to do that?
    it takes years to get a good one.silly!
    show it off!
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Dadgummit! Firstsip beat me to it.

But, yes, Guiness is like a dieter's dream beer. It actually tastes like something and is pretty comparable to a coors light, in terms of calories.

First sip, where do you stand on Guiness? Will you drink that, or is it not crafty enough for you (I know you're pretty into the beer groups on MFP)?
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Dadgummit! Firstsip beat me to it.

But, yes, Guiness is like a dieter's dream beer. It actually tastes like something and is pretty comparable to a coors light, in terms of calories.

First sip, where do you stand on Guiness? Will you drink that, or is it not crafty enough for you (I know you're pretty into the beer groups on MFP)?

Aw shucks, am I that well known for having a drinking problem? :blushing: KIDDING.

I'm fine with Guinness on a craft level. Being a macrobrewery =/= craft (Sierra Nevada, New Belgium and Boston Beer are all good examples of this). Guinness is part of a bigger corp. then those guys, obviously, but to my knowledge they still haven't resorted to using adjuncts or pushing other breweries out of business, like some other not-so-illustrious macrobreweries *cough*

That being said, I'll have it if there's nothing else somewhere because it's not as good as many other craft stouts, a.k.a, not as dark and bitter for me (as I do like dry, Irish stouts). Of course, I hear it's better in Ireland, but I have not yet had the pleasure.