Bulking - 6 Week Detailed Progress Report

Options
So, I'm halfway through my 12 Week Body Transformation Challenge and thought I'd give a progress report - complete with charts and all! I tend to be somewhat meticulous at times, so I've been tracking pretty much everything. I'll first give a summary, and post charts and notes below that.

Starting Weight - 143 lbs
Current Weight - 150.2 lbs
Increase of - 7.2 lbs

Body Measurements Increases: 4.7"

Neck: + 0"
Shoulders: + 0.5"
Chest: + 2"
Biceps: + 0.5"
Forearms: + 0"
Waist: + 0.35"
Hips: + 0.85"
Thighs: + 0.5"
Calves: + 0"

Average Daily Calories/Macros:

Calories - 3395
Protein - 230g
Carbs - 381g
Fat - 111g

For those who like graphs and charts and details...

6WeekBodyStats.jpg

6WeekMacros.jpg
(Note that calories need to be multiplied by 10)

6WeekLiftStats.jpg
Strength is actually my primary goal. The only reason I'm bulking is because I'm doing this 12 Week Transformation Challenge (not that I mind a bit of extra muscle for aesthetic reasons). I'm doing the Jim Stoppani 12 Week Shortcut to Size Program (can be found on bodybuilding.com).

A few notes on the strength stuff - all stats are "calculated maxes" (except for week 4 deadlift). I use JEFIT to track my workouts which calculates the 1RM.

You may notice that squats are rather up and down. In Week 3, I began squatting to parallel which is why there is a big drop there (I've had 4 knee surgeries, so have always been hesitant to go to parallel). In Week 5, I felt a strange pulling sensation in my lower abs, so I took it really easy that week. I've since been working my core more, since I suspect that my lower abs (TVA specifically) might be weak.

Also, there is a big drop in leg extensions in Week 6. That is because I switched to single leg extensions since my gym's machine only goes to 170lbs (not heavy enough for two legs anymore)

Thats where things stand so far. I will post again when the 12 week challenge is up, complete with before and after pics. If there are any questions, please ask!

Replies

• 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    This is great. I just started a bulk today - I'll need to get more meticulous with my logging and measuring. Good luck, glad it's going well so far.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I'd be curious how much your measurements drop after another week or two of eating at maintenance or deficit. I'm mainly wondering how much size is just glycogen bloat and such. I plan on recording that information myself, but won't be posting for at least a month and a half.
  • terizius
    terizius Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Good question Dope - I've still got 6 weeks to go for my bulk, so we will probably be posting at about the same time. I'm not really sure what my maintenance is.. I only started tracking calories when I began this transformation. I will probably have to spend a bit playing around with things. But, the good thing about tracking in detail is that you can determine and the see the results of your actions.
  • DopeItUp
    Options
    Good question Dope - I've still got 6 weeks to go for my bulk, so we will probably be posting at about the same time. I'm not really sure what my maintenance is.. I only started tracking calories when I began this transformation. I will probably have to spend a bit playing around with things. But, the good thing about tracking in detail is that you can determine and the see the results of your actions.

Ahh excellent. I look forward to seeing your results and comparing.
  • OverDoIt
    OverDoIt Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Great stuff brother. Dr. Jim is the man. I wish you happy trails on this leg of your journey
  • smand2000
    Options
    Great job. Also perfect for me to follow when I bulk again! Curious if you're using creatine, or anything aside from protein ... Those strength numbers are impressive!
  • OverDoIt
    OverDoIt Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Your mustache is also very nice. It adds a touch of class and elegance.
  • terizius
    Options
    smand - I use both whey (weight gainer - though never a full serving at a time) and casein protein. I drink the weight gainer first thing in the morning and as a post workout shake. When I take the casein, its usually either during lunch or at night to try and keep things anabolic. I also take creatine post workout (so, 3 grams micronized creatine - 4 times a week) I also try to take two fish oil caplets and two CLA caplets daily (though I rarely remember to take it twice). I use Pre Jym as a pre-workout. Its the best I've found, not only for smooth energy, but for actually containing the correct amounts of various ingredients that actually "help".

As to strength gains - though I'm sure the above mentioned things make some mark, I really attribute it to trying to get a new PR ever time I lift. I'm on a 4 day split (Chest/Tris, Back/Bi, Shoulder/Trap (with deadlift), and Legs). So, each muscle group only gets worked directly once a week. That gives plenty of rest time and most weeks, I do hit a new PR. Another nice thing that I like about this program is that the rep ranges change every week of the month, Week 1: 12-15 reps, Week 2: 9-11, Week 3: 6-8, Week 4: 3-5. Its nice to add weight to the bar every week and push myself.

My theory is that if I don't hit a new PR every week, its either because I'm injured and taking it easy or I did something wrong.. I know it won't go on forever like this, but I'll keep at it as long as I can :)
  • DopeItUp
    Options
    BTW, random question but what did you use to make those pretty graphs?
  • terizius
    Options
    They are just excel graphs. I track everything in a spreadsheet. When I'm ready to graph, its a pretty simple process. PM me if you are interested in more details or want me to email my spreadsheet to you.
  • terizius
    Options
    I got a PM last night asking about BF% gains during this bulk. Being curious (and concerned) about this when I began my first ever "bulk", I bought a set of calipers and began doing BF testing every week (since week 2) when I did my measurements. I do 7 site measurements (3 tests at each site - so 21 measurements total) to get the most accurate reading possible. I was shocked at the results.. Week 2 had me at 4.6%. In fact, I was so shocked and in disbelief, that I didn't even record it.

The last time I had my BF tested was in Jan 2013 with an electric impedence device and I was at 10.2%. So, I didn't think it was possible that I was lower, since I actually felt "fatter" (I've since decided that its just because my stomach is always full of food). Anyway, I redid the test in week 3, and came up with 5.35%. Still not believing it, I spoke with a personal trainer friend of mine and used the same electric impedence device I used the year before.. and got 6.2%. So, somehow, I had lost body fat over the course of the year and didn't know it. Now, I could probably use 10 different devices and get 10 different readings.. so I'm just going to say I'm in the single digits and post the weekly numbers below to show how BF has changed over the last 6 weeks using the calipers.

Week 1 - no test - 143lb
    Week 2 - 4.6% of 145.6lb = 6.6lb fat
    Week 3 - 5.35% of 146.6lb = 7.8lb fat
    Week 4 - 4.67% of 148.2 = 6.9lb fat
    Week 5 - no test - 149.4lb
    Week 6 - 4.86% of 150.2 = 7.3lb fat

So, all said and done so far, I've gained 0.7lb of fat compared to 6.5lb muscle. Not too shabby.. So, how can this be?

There are a few things that I think go into play here.. First off, I've always been slim and at or near single digit BF%. Lyle McDonald from BodyRecomposition.com mentions in one of his articles that the lower BF% one is when they begin bulking, the more likely that any gains will be from muscle (conversely - the higher BF%, the more weight gain will be fat; which is why he recommends only bulking to about 15% before starting a cut).

Also, even though I've "lifted" for a few years, its been on and off. Plus, I am still probably realizing those beginner gains since I took about 4 months off right before I started up again in January.

I am taking CLA, just because its relatively cheap and theres enough scientific evidence to convince me that it does help improve muscle to fat ratios. I don't put too much stock in it though since I rarely take the recommended dose on a regular basis (I usually forget to take a caplet or two a day).

Lastly, since I push for a new PR in almost every exercise, every week, my workouts are relatively intense (meaning I lift as heavy as I can in the prescribed rep range). I usually lift to failure on every set.. with the goal of failing within my rep range for the week.

So, theres the numbers and my theory behind them.
  • terizius
    Options
    Oh! Forgot to mention, I also think my relatively high protein diet has helped quite a bit with building muscle and minimizing fat.. my goal is 1.5g/lb (217g/day, though I'm usually above that). I try to spread it out throughout the day so I've always got some in my system.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    I like your approach, and also, more relevantly to me, I can relate to you. I took a lot of caliper readings too, when I was down to 123lb and the results were so shocking that I discounted them. No matter what I did, they still came up super low.

I now realise they were correct, and all my Lyle studying had paid off and I was in a perfect place to start bulking.

All I can say is, wow! What an amazing process, and I am very grateful to be lucky or clever enough to read the right ****.

Good luck on your high muscle/low fat bulk!
  • terizius
    Options
    Was going to try to post pics, but I seem to be experiencing some technical difficulties :/
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    That's pretty darn good for 6 weeks.

First bulks things work so easy. More stuff like this needs to be out there for beginners, who are generally terrified of the fat gain and end up being way too conservative. My results my first bulk were right in line with yours, I maintained a 500 cal/day surplus.

Might be different for your ht/wt, but a basic swag calc for me is 1/4" in the waist = 1 lb fat. 3/8" would be 1.5 lbs fat gain. My first bulk I gained muscle so much faster than fat that my BF% dropped for the first 2 months despite a slight amount of fat gain.

Damn calves. They never seem to grow. On top of that mine always deflate first thing once I start cutting.

Now for the bad news.....that right there is almost surely your best 6 weeks of bulking ever.
  • eating4me
    eating4me Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I love your record keeping! I'd love to get more meticulous with mine, so I can compare my progress with dietary/macro changes as I go along. You've gotten excellent results with this bulk!