Help on how to use " net"

Options
hello, I'm new and having trouble understanding the NET value on my iPhone version of MFP. Am I supposed to aim for a net of 0 or a net of my total "allowed" calories for the day?

Replies

• TheNewJessieMae
    Options
    no no no no
  • TheNewJessieMae
    Options
    Just stay under 1200 or whatever your goal is. If you go over by 300 and burn 300 by exersicing then you are right on target!!! But Other wise you'd end up in the hospital!!!!
  • sngnyrslp
    sngnyrslp Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Staying under 1200 calories is actually a bad thing. Everyone's different, so 1200 calories isn't magic number, but the general rule is that if your net calories are under 1200, your body will go into starvation mode and hold onto everything.
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    If the iPhone is like the website, you should aim for net = 0. That's your calorie allowance plus exercise calories. Word of warning though, that the exercise calories are calculated a little on the high side, I'd realistic aim for eating back about half of your exercise calories. So your net should be equal to half of your exercise calories at the end of the day.

Does that make sense?
  • Steelytop
    Steelytop Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Staying under 1200 calories is actually a bad thing. Everyone's different, so 1200 calories isn't magic number, but the general rule is that if your net calories are under 1200, your body will go into starvation mode and hold onto everything.

All of my research tells me the same thing. 1200 is bare minimum for anyone. If you wanted to hit 1200 you might set your goal at 1250 or 1300 instead.

I don't know if this is correct or not but I often stay in a 1210 to 1550 range with my calories and any exercise I only take advantage of a small buffer if needed depending on how hungry my body is telling me that I am. I'm talking an ill feeling when I don't eat enough. I might burn 600 or 700 calories during the day exercising but I still try to stick to my 1500 per day goal. If I can get it somewhere between 1200 - 1500 all the better. I'm finding that I'm needing most of those calories though to maintain my current exercise level.
  • TheNewJessieMae
    Options
    Oh Ok I misunderstood the question. I am so sorry!!!
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,653 Member
    Options
    Your net calories should equal your Daily Goal. So, if you're supposed to eat 1500 calories and burn 500 in exercise, you should eat most or all of those back to hit your 1500 again since (1500 - 500 = 1000). And you're shooting for 1500.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    hello, I'm new and having trouble understanding the NET value on my iPhone version of MFP. Am I supposed to aim for a net of 0 or a net of my total "allowed" calories for the day?

Unfortunatley, MFP is inconsistently using NET right now. On the daily summary, the phone apps use it so that at the end of the day, it should be as close to your goal calories as possible ( like glassyo said). On the website, however, it should be as close to zero as possible. (If you're talking about the "summary" box on the main page). I've pointed this out to Mike (the MFP founder) and he said they have known this and would escale resolution of this problem. That was like, a month ago, so apparently their idea of escalation and mine are different! Hopefully they clear this up soon.

Disclaimer: I use an android, but was told by someone with an iphone that the i-phone app has sthe same daily summary calculation as the android. (Food - Exercise = Net). I don't have personal knowledge of the i-phone app.
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options

Unfortunatley, MFP is inconsistently using NET right now. On the daily summary, the phone apps use it so that at the end of the day, it should be as close to your goal calories as possible ( like glassyo said). On the website, however, it should be as close to zero as possible. (If you're talking about the "summary" box on the main page). I've pointed this out to Mike (the MFP founder) and he said they have known this and would escale resolution of this problem. That was like, a month ago, so apparently their idea of escalation and mine are different! Hopefully they clear this up soon.

Disclaimer: I use an android, but was told by someone with an iphone that the i-phone app has sthe same daily summary calculation as the android. (Food - Exercise = Net). I don't have personal knowledge of the i-phone app.

Good to know - I'm strictly a website girl. My husband though uses the android app......have to let him know.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,653 Member
    Options

Unfortunatley, MFP is inconsistently using NET right now. On the daily summary, the phone apps use it so that at the end of the day, it should be as close to your goal calories as possible ( like glassyo said). On the website, however, it should be as close to zero as possible.

Wow, I never noticed that on the daily summary page! I just pretty much zero in on my calories remaining number.
  • Boubat
    Options
    Wow, very helpful! Thanks to everyone! I think I get it now.