(Muscle) What to do if under target at end of day?

Options
Currently trying to gain muscle mass.

Thing is, I keep getting to the evening and finding that I'm between 1200-1400 by 9pm on week nights. My target is 1800 rest days and 2000 exercise days, so obviously I'm a bit short sometimes.

Is it better to eat the rest of the calories those evenings (before bed and after a 400-600 calorie meal), thus cramming most of my day's calories into a short time window (which probably isn't very good for fat proportions?), or just try harder the next day?

Replies

• RamaAkyer
    RamaAkyer Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Well, in order to bulk, you should be in a surplus.
    So you should meet your macros by the end of the day. It doesn't really matter, when you're consuming them, as long as you consume them.

So eat up :)
  • goredguar
    goredguar Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Coolio. Thanks!

I need to start planning my meals during the day so I don't run into this problem so often....
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Smoothies to the rescue...
  • RamaAkyer
    RamaAkyer Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Coolio. Thanks!

I need to start planning my meals during the day so I don't run into this problem so often....

Yup, I know how bad it is to force yourself to eat when you're not hungry, so you can meet your macros :)
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I've still got a latte, slice of roasted cheese + ham, snickers and a protein shake to go, tonight (and I just had a Chinese an hour ago).

So, you're not alone - I think it's great though. :)
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,983 Member
    Options
    When you eat is not important. Meal timing is pretty much a personal preference.
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options

Thing is, I keep getting to the evening and finding that I'm between 1200-1400 by 9pm on week nights. My target is 1800 rest days and 2000 exercise days, so obviously I'm a bit short sometimes.

Is it better to eat the rest of the calories those evenings (before bed and after a 400-600 calorie meal), thus cramming most of my day's calories into a short time window (which probably isn't very good for fat proportions?), or just try harder the next day?
    '

I regularly eat around half of my 2500 calories after my evening workout (so usually hammering them down at 11pm). Doesn't do me any harm!
  • hilts1969
    hilts1969 Posts: 465 Member
    Options

Eat a lot pf protein don't stress too much about eating the exact calories per day, if you are getting stronher carry on, if not eat more, remember MFP is a rough guide, your weight and performance is a million times better as a guide, adjust as you go, those that obsess about calorie intake are missing the whole point
  • WeeMikeSilver
    WeeMikeSilver Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've always found raw full fat milk to be a great addition to any eating plan if you're looking to bulk. If you can find a supplier of raw milk then it's an easy way to get extra healthy calories, carbs and protein.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    If you find this happens often you need to add extra to your other meals and/or have snacks too.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    I have to pre-log most days, or I run into the same problem. On the plus side, however, that's how I discovered that crunchy peanut butter on cookie dough ice cream is just about the best thing in the world!
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options

Eat a lot pf protein don't stress too much about eating the exact calories per day, if you are getting stronher carry on, if not eat more, remember MFP is a rough guide, your weight and performance is a million times better as a guide, adjust as you go, those that obsess about calorie intake are missing the whole point

I'd recommend that if someone tends to under eat and is on a bulk, that they log and weigh everything. You can build strength at the beginning without excess calories, but you cannot build muscle without excess calories.

That's why there are so many successful body sculptors, athletes, fat losers and muscle bulkers here. We can track exactly what macros, micros and calories to bulk, cut, maintain, and fuel high level sports.

What is this 'whole point' exactly?
  • terizius
    terizius Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I'm occasionally in the same situation (see my "But I don't want to eat another 800 calories" post) I usually try to cram something down, or make yet another weight gainer shake (with milk of course).. and I always keep a pint or two of Ben and Jerry's in the freezer. But, when it comes down to it, if I under-eat one day, I don't stress too much. Its a process that will take time. One day of under-eating isn't going to completely sabotage my efforts. I just try to make up for it over the next day or two..