What would you do instead of running?

Options
LKArgh
LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
I have been probably overdoing it regarding running the last weeks, getting too enthusiastic about being serious again after a year or so of just running here and there, and it looks like I have stressed the tendon on my left knee.
It is only painful when I run. Mentioned the problem to a trainer at the gym, he did not consider it serious enough to skip classes, and it does not hurt with anything but running. However, I have been really getting into a rhythm and hate to stop, but also do not want to end up immobile for weeks from more serious damage.
I go to the gym twice per week, cannot go more often and also cannot do things like e.g. swimming, because of lack of time.
I have a treadmill at home, and dumbbells, could get more equipment, as long as it is nothing big.
I need something to replace the 3-4 times per week running sessions for a while, to let my knee recover. I know the obvious answer is to walk, but it is boring for me on the treadmill. Any ideas?

Replies

• ZOOpergal
    ZOOpergal Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Is it the impact that hurts your knee or the bending? If its the impact that hurts, maybe biking?
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    It is the impact. But unfortunately where I live, biking is not safe at night (the only time when I could find time) and I do not have a stationary bike.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    I don't run much...too hard on my joints. I cycle primarily for my cardio and throw in some swimming and hiking and whatnot. I run some, but not much...mostly just for mud runs and the like. I also weight train which I encourage.
  • suzely0530
    suzely0530 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Do they have elipticals or cross trainers at your gym ? Would be less stress on your joints
  • WinterWait
    Options
    I feel your knee pain. I had full ACL reconstruction a few years ago. RICE - Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation. Sometimes you have to listen to your body and give yourself time to recover. That being said I don't do well with sitting still... I found yoga, pilates and stregth training helped. You mentioned you don't usually swim but if you can find time it's also a great alternative. Hope you are feeling better soon.
  • starkitty4
    starkitty4 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    ive had double ACL reconstructions and tibial tuberosity transfers (ligament realignment) so i have to do low impact exercise. my doctor recommended pilates, aqua fit classes and i do the NHS strength and flex podcast workouts but im not sure where you are so i dont know if you could get on the nhs website to acess them.. if i inflame my ligaments my physio usually tells me i need to boost by muscle strength by doing low impact stretches. maybe you could look into this kind of thing to help you :smile:
  • Binky_Muffin
    Binky_Muffin Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Walk on an incline on your treadmill.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Like Winterwait, I had ACL reconstruction a bit ago. I did indoor cycling and weight lifting. When my knee could not take the pounding of running, it could take squats, etc.
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    How about swimming???
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    It is only painful when I run. Mentioned the problem to a trainer at the gym, he did not consider it serious enough to skip classes, and it does not hurt with anything but running.

I'm not sure a trainer is qualified to tell you if it's serious or not.

I would probably try something low impact like biking, maybe an elliptical depending on how the knee reacted. If the pain persists, you need to see a doctor.
  • morehealthymatt
    morehealthymatt Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    hop?
  • wannaBrunnner81
    wannaBrunnner81 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    cross country skiing....this is assuming you live where there is snow ;)
  • StraubreyR
    StraubreyR Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    If you already own a bike, get a trainer for it, so you can use it indoors. I have done that for winter. Much, much cheaper than buying a stationary bike!
  • ImpishVanity
    ImpishVanity Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I do spin classes, stair climber, elliptical, rowing, etc. I try it all and switch it up to keep from getting bored.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    I have been probably overdoing it regarding running the last weeks, getting too enthusiastic about being serious again after a year or so of just running here and there, and it looks like I have stressed the tendon on my left knee.
    It is only painful when I run. Mentioned the problem to a trainer at the gym, he did not consider it serious enough to skip classes, and it does not hurt with anything but running. However, I have been really getting into a rhythm and hate to stop, but also do not want to end up immobile for weeks from more serious damage.
    I go to the gym twice per week, cannot go more often and also cannot do things like e.g. swimming, because of lack of time.
    I have a treadmill at home, and dumbbells, could get more equipment, as long as it is nothing big.
    I need something to replace the 3-4 times per week running sessions for a while, to let my knee recover. I know the obvious answer is to walk, but it is boring for me on the treadmill. Any ideas?

I have horrible knees. Fractured both of my patellas twice and have torn my meniscus. I also have Osgood–Schlatter disease and chondromalacia patellae. I highly recommend swimming or using a stationary bike. Both are great for knee recovery.
  • StacyRenaee
    Options
    I need a knee replacement, therefore weight bearing exercises are painful for me. All of the comments on this post are helpful to me as well. I do want to try swimming and cycling. The treadmill and elliptical are out of the question. My knee will crack likes its out of place and I can barely walk for days! It makes exercising complicated. Walking a long distance even affects it. I'm 39, this is crazy. Feel free to add me as a friend. I'm new here.
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Does your treadmill do an incline? Hill walking is pretty intense, and won't hurt like running. Even speed-walking can be a pretty good burn, especially if you focus on your butt and maybe use some hand weights. You won't look cool, but oh well...

I always tend to overdo it when I run, and have to mix it up.
  • hilts1969
    hilts1969 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I feel for you i was laid low for two months with injury and couldn't run, didn't do anything else as exercise bikes, cross trainers etc are second rate, your injury may not be that serious we all get niggles, have a short break and try running again, if this doesn't work you will have to go with something else until it clears
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I have shin fractures that prevent me from running any more than about 200 feet. If I need to do cardio I do elliptical or rowing or the bike. Those are low impact enough that they don't hurt me. I really wish I could run, it bugs me that I can't. Really bugs me sometimes. I would love to be able to.

I'm pretty sure I would totally kick butt if I could do it. What I do instead is heavy lifting, and I have lost a fair amount of fat doing that. If I were you I would just grab those dumbbells and move them around for 45 minutes instead.
  • jaygreen55
    jaygreen55 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Running on the treadmill (or outside) doesn't agree with my knees either. Instead I walk on an incline. Right now I'm doing 3.8 MPH at 6-10 percent incline and it's quite a workout getting my HR up to about 80-85 percent of my max. Just make sure you stretch your hamstrings well afterwards as it will make them very tight