Agh! Fast food rant

Options

Replies

• Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    In the UK McDonalds clearly state all the nutritional data of all their products on the back of the paper sheets. That they put on the plastic trays.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    There are good choices at McDonald's. Their salads are fine, just take grilled chicken and low fat dressing. A McWrap is like 360-420 calories for the grilled ones, and pretty filling....And they have the snack wraps too... 250 calories for the grilled chicken.

You're just making excuses, IMO... You're the one who picked the 600 calorie frappe. I highly doubt that many fast food places have better ice cream options.

Yes, I gave into temptations, but it is annoying when I get the frappe, bolus for it, and then decide that I am too full to eat it. Either I will eat all 600 calories of it, even though I 100% know I am full, or I can stop eating it and be short 44 carbs and know I will go low. In these types of situations, I cannot win. If I eat something I 100% know I will eat fully, I risk it not being enough and having to waste an insulin needle taking insulin for more food to make me feel full. If I try to get all the food I might eat into one injection and do not eat anything, I risk going into hypoglycemia.

The McWrap is also 50+ carbs for a flour tortilla with grilled chicken, cheese, and lettuce (much higher if I consider crispy), and, even then, what is considered as a "healthier" option will set me back 3 or 4 units of insulin; though the snack one is lower in carbs, it is just a "mini" version of the McWrap, and I would probably need two of them just to feel full. After calculations, that would turn out to be another 4+ units of insulin.

There are three salads available that meet my carb needs (I prefer really low carb foods. I do not want to stab myself with a ton of insulin), but those are the only foods I have found that really would be able to fit into my lifestyle. I do not know when I might be going out for a quick snack/meal, and there are times where I want something to eat but do not have insulin with me (meaning I will have to choose something less than 7 carbs). It is not helping when one of my previous go-to's for McDonalds was removed for no apparent reason. At Chick-Fil-A, it seems like I have more options as to what I can eat if I were in a situation that I cannot take insulin.et the nutrition, I risk having either a really high or really low glucose.

I keep a carb count book in my purse for these spontaneous "we're having fast food for dinner" nights, and almost NOTHING recent is included (and this is a 2013 edition). No frappes are listed for McDonald's, let alone one that came out less than a month ago. I check the info for Starbucks, and the same size for a similar frappe is 300 calories and 50g of carbs. It is almost a 300 calorie and 35g carb difference, and, if I were in that situation and could not access the internet to get the nutrition info, my glucose risks going crazy.

I try to prepare for these situations, but I cannot win either way. I am not saying "OMG! I want a frappe and I do not have the calories for it." I still have over 700 calories left for the day (I am at a 2100 maintenance), but I am annoyed that very few places offer foods that I know will work for my diary and my glucose.

And this is not McDonald's either. I've tried KFC, Burger King, Arby's, Dairy Queen, and McDonalds and, besides diet sodas and the basic salads, have not found a lot of options. I still want some variety in my life besides salads.

I know I might get flamed for it, but the people watching just calories have it simpler. Fast food places are now displaying the caloric info for their drive-through menus, but, as well as calories, I need to see what the carbs are. It is a lot easier to see "Oh! This cheeseburger is 500 calories" and not eat it than guesstimate "the calories for this frappe is 600 calories, but I am guessing the carbs will be around 50 based on this similar posting for Starbucks". I have also tried asking for nutritional menus while out, and, more often than not, the people look at me like I am speaking German.

The problem is that you are eating foods you shouldn't be eating. Simple as that. Just accept that there are limited options for you or eat all your meals at home.

ETA: I'm someone who has to watch carbs and sugar as well.
  • caminoslo
    caminoslo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    try eating pure salt sometimes that will give those salt cravings a good reality check
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,983 Member
    Options
    All of the McDonald's I've been to have the nutrition information posted somewhere on the wall in the dining room. You could have also looked it up on their site or in MFP. And really, a frappe and fries were obvious bad choices for someone with diabetes. There are lower carb options readily available.

Or, you can get creative: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1105196-the-mcdouble-down
  • SnowWhiteFanatic
    SnowWhiteFanatic Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    When I get my daughter McDonald's, they have the calorie count of each food up on the board. Don't they have that by you? There are so many times I have considered having fast food but I google nutrition info first and then say no.
  • UmmSqueaky
    UmmSqueaky Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    If I eat fast food, I pre-log. If it doesn't fit in my daily calories and macros, I erase and choose something else.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    OP...I am not familiar with a diabetics carb intake but after looking at your diary it doesn't appear to be low carb on the 3 or 4 days that I looked at.

Prepackaged food...processed food...convenience foods are not known for being low carb and especially not low sodium. I had to change my buying habits in order to cut back on sodium. It can be frustrating at times but after a while it does become easier. I had to do a lot of stopping and reading of labels for things that I would have just normally bought.
  • SharonNehring
    SharonNehring Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I get it. I'm type 2 and counting carbs as well. Going out to eat is extremely challenging. I try to check the restaurant website ahead of times when I can. I've also been using an app called Healthy Out. You enter your dietary requirements and it shows you restaurants nearby that have items on the menu meeting your needs. You can then look at individual items to see the specific carbs, cals, fats etc.

For the major fast food places, maybe become familiar with their healthy options. You could browse their site and make a list of the best selections at each place then tuck it into the carb book you carry with you.
  • popo312
    popo312 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Plenty of good stuff at McDonalds. Perk of the job is free food. I go there ocationally on night shift and a grilled chicken salad or the fancy wraps aren't bad at all. Just have to skip the burgers and fries.
  • silken555
    silken555 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    In the UK McDonalds clearly state all the nutritional data of all their products on the back of the paper sheets. That they put on the plastic trays.

Same in Canada. I've seen it in the US as well.

Personal responsibility...that's all I have to say.
  • IIIIISerenityNowIIIII
    Options
    Chick til a is only going to get better. Now they are striving to get healthier and more organic meats without antibiotics. I wish more fast food places going healthier.
  • djflowerz
    djflowerz Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Learn to cook at home and prepare easy to-go meals and snacks. Then you won't need to pick up anything from fast food places. Go to the grocery store and stock up so you are prepared. If your friends and family are a bad influence try doing your own thing if possible so they can't tempt you as often.
    Also, you can work some of this off with exercise, no?
  • Bearbrat
    Bearbrat Posts: 230
    Options
    It was your choice to eat there and it's your responsibility to make sure you're getting the correct amount of carbs and taking the correct amount of insulin, nobody else's. My son has type one diabetes and he's completely responsible for everything that goes into his mouth and for every injection he gives himself. After looking back through your diary for the last two weeks it might be a good idea for you to visit your doctor and ask for a referral to a diabetic counselor, glucose tablets are for emergencies and in the last year I've only had to give my son one. This might sound harsh, but it's honest. And McDonalds does have healthier options than what YOU chose to eat.
  • Wtn_Gurl
    Wtn_Gurl Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    OP, i have a feeling you are ranting out of frustration.

What you gained was a lesson in how to handle food or not.

You are going to be out in the world and you must learn to live with the food temptations around you, especially since you have diabetes.

My feeling is to eat well as much as possible, and the few times you might make a mistake, in the big picture, it wont mean much. and tomorrow is a new day with a new fresh batch of calories and nutrients waiting to fill you.

If you go to macdonalds, try to get the salad or something LESS unhealthy for you, whatever that means to you. Last week in fact I bought 2 salads to take home and they were absolutely delish! I actually was on the road and had to use the bathroom quick so i had to buy something (they parking lot said parking is free with a $10 purchase - as I am downtown).. so i had to buy something, so i chose the salads.. they were good! and it did not kill my weight loss either.
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Fast food is made to taste good. They don't care how many calories are in their food. It's not their problem. If you don't like it make your own food.
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    Of course, I was tempted by fast food and am now kicking myself in the rear end for giving in and biting off more than I can really chew.

I first went to Chick-Fil-A and was pretty decent there. I ordered a grilled market salad with low fat berry vinaigrette, and it only came out to about 300 calories and 23 carbs. On the plus side, it was also very delicious and filled me up quickly. Because none of my siblings like that place, we then went to McDonald's. Of course, they offered their "one-dollar frappe Friday" deal, and I gave into the temptation and ordered a small chocolate strawberry frappe with a small french fry. (Thank you, Mother Nature :grumble: )

I get home and do the carb counts. At McDonald's, the frappe was 560 calories and 88 carbs for a small. The french fries added on an additional 210 calories and 29 carbs. In total, the meal was 140 carbs.

I was incredibly stupid in my mental math and calculated 150 carbs, and I took 11 units of insulin to compensate for it (instead of the 10 units I should have taken). While eating, I also became too full to eat the now liquid frappe, and I was only able to eat half of it. Though the first few fries were also good, they became ice cold within the ten minutes it took to get back home and eat them, and, after eating them, I wanted more "terrible" food (possibly from the salt).

I am annoyed that Chick-Fil-A seems to be the only place that is more health conscious. I can get a choice of grilled chicken nuggets, a few salads, soup, chicken wraps, and fresh fruit all for the same price as the high-calorie, high-carb, high-fat, high-junk stuff at McDonalds. It shocks me that one McDonald's frappe is almost 600 calories, when I know I can make a frappe at home with coffee, splenda, whipped cream, and unsweetened almond milk for less than 200 calories and 20 carbs. Though McDonalds is trying to become more "healthy", it is not helping when the only thing that is low in carbs and calories are the same flavorless salads (and they already got rid of the Caesar salad a few months ago).

So now, I am going to have a fun time going into very severe hypoglycemia within the next few hours -I took insulin for 54 carbs that I did not eat and will certainly go low. :sick:

I too hope you're okay.

Actually I have no problem with McDonalds. They sell unhealthy food and make no excuses for it. Even their salads aren't really that "healthy" but it's McDonalds. http://nutrition.mcdonalds.com/getnutrition/nutritionfacts.pdf :sick:

The places I don't like are places like Tropical Smoothie. They bill themselves as a healthy alternative when, in fact, they wouldn't know a healthy alternative if it hit them with a dead squirrel. Their food is fully as bad as McDonalds. :grumble: http://tropicalsmoothie.com/site_media/uploads/files/TSC_Nutrition_Guide.pdf
  • bethkeysear
    bethkeysear Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    First I hope you are feeling okay.

Second, I just bought the book Eat This, Not That, the restaurant guide. It is really helpful. I know you can get the caloric menu at the restaurant but the book helps me put things into perspective.
  • Wtn_Gurl
    Wtn_Gurl Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    i think the best thing to do is get more knowledge about what restaurants you can go to so that when you have a food emergency, you will know where to go and where not to go. And I'd carry with me something to eat so that when a craving or hunger happens, that you can eat something where your not so ravenous where you are in danger of stopping anywhere to get anything just to put something in your mouth to get rid of that hungry feeling.
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I get it. I'm type 2 and counting carbs as well. Going out to eat is extremely challenging. I try to check the restaurant website ahead of times when I can. I've also been using an app called Healthy Out. You enter your dietary requirements and it shows you restaurants nearby that have items on the menu meeting your needs. You can then look at individual items to see the specific carbs, cals, fats etc.

For the major fast food places, maybe become familiar with their healthy options. You could browse their site and make a list of the best selections at each place then tuck it into the carb book you carry with you.

It's nice to see someone being helpful! Thanks!

OP: Those of us who use MFP because we're overweight can remember at least once when we made a bad choice with food. I certainly can, and I sympathize with you. You mentioned going to McDonald's with your siblings, so I'm wondering if you're still in your teens and didn't have a realistic option to avoid going there with your family. If you're with family or friends and everyone else is ordering something you want, but shouldn't have, you need something powerful to hang on to until the temptation subsides. If you're like me, that temptation could rage very loud in your head for a good half hour until you finally give in or overcome it.

To overcome it I've been trying a new strategy lately: I think about one of the rewards I'll get from weight loss. I envision it in detail, close my eyes and breath deeply and let it dwell for a while in my imagination until I can feel some excitement about it mounting inside me. It has taken some practice, but this exercise has helped me to quiet those powerful cravings. Good luck to you. I hope you find the answers you're looking for.
  • Natmarie73
    Natmarie73 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Surely there are healthier options to eat out at which are not fast food joints? Do you not have coffee shops or restaurants or pubs/bistros? You can get a frappe made at a coffee shop using real coffee and skim/hilo or soy milk without any sugar added which would be a much better option for a diabetic I would think. And for food choices there would be much healthier options as well.

But of course you could order a salad without dressing at McDonalds if you really must go there.