How Can I lose 8 pounds in 1 week?

Options
I am trying to lose 8 pounds in one week
How much would I have to workout and how much of a calorie deficit would I need?

Replies

• deadyankee
    Options
    Decapitation?
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    Assuming you wanted to lose 8 lbs of fat, liposuction. An 8lb loss represents a deficit of over 3500 calories per day. I don't think anyone's going to be able to give you a 'healthy' way to lose that much.

That said, if you're particularly obese, it's not unheard of to have significant loses in the first few weeks of starting a new training and diet program. It sort of comes down to how much you have to lose, as far as that goes.

The real answer is that losing 8lbs (again, of fat) generally requires a bit more than 1 week's notice.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    8 lbs in a week isn't terribly realistic, especially if you don't have alot to lose. Your ticker shows you want to lose 12 lbs, which makes me thing that you probably don't have alot to lose.

Set a more realistic goal of no more than 2 lbs a week, however with only 12 lbs to lose, it should probably be closer to .5-1 lbs a week.

What's the rush? You didn't put the weight on in a week right? Don't expect it to come off in one.
  • Iconx11
    Options
    I'm around 155
    And yeah I know 8 pounds is a lot but if I put in a lot of dedication and workout a lot
    Will I be able to reach my goal?
    My goal is to hit 141 or around there
    How much should I lose per week so I can get there faster?
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    IXUO5zJ.gif
    bad idea is bad.
  • ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    It's not possible for your body to oxidize that much fat in a week. (with so little weight to lose, .5lb-1lb is realistic)

You can lose 8lbs of water weight, muscle and other body tissue in a week, but not fat.
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Eat 8 pounds of food then take some laxative.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    You don't have much to lose, so a half to one pound a week is realistic.
  • Samby_v1
    Samby_v1 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    f6due.gif
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to hit a deadline for a weigh in for something? Or are you just trying to reach your goal as quickly as possible?

I ask because it might be possible to lose 8 pounds of water weight that quickly, but it's going to come right back. If you want permanent weight loss you're going to need 8-20 weeks to lose 8 pounds.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    Decapitation?

well played

jonathan-lipnicki-family-guy.jpg

OP, just take a huge poo
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    The troll is strong in this one
  • Iconx11
    Options
    Oh Yeah I remember now
    It's 8 pounds in a month
    That was a fail by me -.-
    Is that more realistic?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Oh Yeah I remember now
    It's 8 pounds in a month
    Is that more realistic?

Depends.. but do you want 8 lbs of fat or 8 lbs of fat, muscle, water tissue? 8 lbs of fat with little to lose is highly unlikely. But if you just want weight loss, just go low carb for a month. You will gain it all back as soon as you eat carbs again, but if its for an event, then it might be worth it.
  • charlicee
    Options
    um...WHY?! so unrealistic!!
  • mrsmarit
    mrsmarit Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Decapitation?

well played

jonathan-lipnicki-family-guy.jpg

OP, just take a huge poo

It's not like their using their heads anyway... and are full of crap.. so both options would work
  • cathiaflock
    cathiaflock Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I do not think you could lose 8lbs in a week if you have already been working out. My first week (a long time ago) I went walking everyday 30 min and started using a low fat and low cholesterol cookbook (recommended by my dr) and prepared everything I ate and in the first week I lost 11lbs. But this was when I was just getting started. After that I didn't lose as much. Just keep focus on your eating and do not over stress...
  • ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Oh Yeah I remember now
    It's 8 pounds in a month
    Is that more realistic?

8lbs a month for someone with 40+lbs to lose is realistic because their maintenance calories are higher and therefore can handle a higher deficit.

Basically 2lbs a week is a 1000 calorie deficit a day. If you figure out what you maintain on, I'm sure you will find that the resulting number from subtracting 1000 calories a day is starvation/unsafe and miserable. It will result in a higher muscle loss than if you lost weight more slowly and will compromise your nutrition.

Everyone gets excited about making dramatic changes right now and getting the weight off as soon as possible. They soon find that it isn't realistic and often quit. But time passes away and if they had just stuck to a reasonable goal, they would have met it in due time instead of struggling and possibly quitting.
  • Love_Is_My_Fuel
    Love_Is_My_Fuel Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Oh Yeah I remember now
    It's 8 pounds in a month
    Is that more realistic?

teehee..bad typo got a lot of flack

8 lbs. a month is possible if your very large but if your average and only need to lose a little it would be impossible...4 lbs. is a good number though :)
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    pick up a milk gallon containing 1 gallon of water.
    hold it.
    step onto scale.
    step off scale.
    put it down.
    step onto scale.
    voila! ...8lbs lost in the blink of an eye!