Caloric Intake?

Options
Hello,

I just had a question about caloric intake. My daily intake to lose about 1 pound a week is 1310 calories. However, when I log a workout, the app will add more calories. So say I run 4 miles and burn 400 calories, I would then get to eat 1710 calories for that day. I thought weight loss was about a calorie deficit? If someone could just explain to me how this works that would be appreciated!

Replies

• ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    The human body is very complex, this site attempts to make it more simple my making it a math equation. What you don't realize is that having too high of a calorie deficit is actually unhealthy. When you eat too far below your BMR, you risk losing a higher ratio of lean muscle mass to fat. You can also experience side effects of not getting enough fuel (calories) such as fatigue, hair loss, brittle nails ect.

The "goal" that you are given to eat up to already contains your daily deficit for weight loss, no need to even exercise. That is why it adds calories when you log your exercise, you are suppose to eat them.

Just a side note, the machines and the gym and even MFP can overestimate calorie burns, so unless you are using a HRM, I would eat back between 50%-80% of the calories you burn.