Help with making healthy food choices!

Options
Ok, so like I stated in a post previously this week I am having a hard time eating healthier and staying with in my calorie goal. I did up my goal considering most of you stated I was eating way too little which was why I was having such a hard time staying in my limit. But all I wanna do is keep eating like I was, its almost like I am trying to beat an addiction to crack or something its weird! So I am wondering for your meals and snacks do you just think up something healthy each day or have you gone to a site or an app to help you find what is healthy to snack on and so on? I would greatly appreciate any input. Thank you!!

Replies

• serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    My diary is open if you want to see how I've done it so far.
  • chelseafxx
    chelseafxx Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I think it comes with time. You can't change yourself overnight so don't expect that! If you need to slowly incorporate healthy foods in that is fine. I really like almonds because they are high in calories and low in carbs and sodium and high in good healthy fats! They also keep you full so they are a good snack. I personally love chicken so I mix chicken with so many things to see what I can come up with. For example, the other day I made my own chicken salad with a low sodium can of chicken in water and a cut up Fuji apple and a tiny tiny amount of light mayo..simple ingredients, amazing taste!! I am already obsessed and it was so simple. Think of yourself as an artist of food. Be creative and don't be afraid to mix and match some healthy things and see what you can come up with. You'll be a pro in no time! :smile:
  • bheathfit
    bheathfit Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I personally try to eat foods that work toward meeting my macros. Protein is the hardest macro for me to meet. After I meet my macros, I allow myself anything that I want, up to my calorie goal.

I just started watching this series of 6 videos. I was directed to it by those who know more than I do about food. Hope it helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAvW6xBZjSk

If you are looking for good protein sources, here ya go...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/926789-protein-sources

Remember this is a process. Give yourself time to learn and appreciate small achievements that you make each day...
  • LPilat
    LPilat Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Fats will tie you over for longer so milk, almonds, avocados (guacamole) are all healthy fats. Don't go so crazy on them though. 10 almonds a day makes for a good, healthy snack. Blue Diamond has flavored ones in cans. They are sooooooo good. When you try to make good choices, stay away from sodium and high fat content. Even healthier choices like subway are high in sodium, which bloats you and can add up to 5lbs on the scale. Cut down on salt, saturated unhealthy fats and eat whole grains rather than white breads and rice and pasta. Every dish I have with cheese are low fat cheeses. Eating only 3 times a day is not a great idea. Have low calorie meals and throw in 4 to 5 servings of fruit in between, load up on veggies (high in fibre, which gives you a full feeling), and even snack on a delicious protein bar for a dessert. I like supreme bars or bounce energy balls. Dark chocolate covered pomegranate or cranberries from Brookside is another snack that is really tasty and not so bad for you. I used to hate dark chocolate. Low fat yogurt makes a good snack. Once you keep a clean diet, you will have massive amounts of energy - Do not spend it lying on the couch!! Shovel snow, mow your lawn, throw on some rollerblades or go to the gym. When I go to the gym, I don't think about food. When I stay on the couch, I log in 800 calories in snacks!! Check your calories on fitness pal. Studies have shown that people are more successful with their weight loss goals when they have an awareness as to how many calories they are consuming per meal or snack. Hope that helps!