Do you feel guilty if you don't work out?

Options
Is this healthy or is this a sign I'm putting myself into a dangerous pattern of calorie counting/exercising religiously, etc?

I haven't worked out in 3 days and I feel so guilty its almost making me depressed--like all the weight I have lost is somehow going to show its ugly self when I wake up tomorrow. I know this isn't true but i still feel almost bad!! I have never been like this--I used to hate running until I started this journey...now its almost like, if I don't work out, i don't feel complete.

I couldn't work out these past three days b/c my mom was diagnosed with breast cancer and between that and dealing with my young children, I didn't find the time and have been falling asleep at 9 pm from exhaustion with this new reality that hit our family.

I think this isn't healthy though right---the guilt of not working out?

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I might miss or long for a workout when I'm not able to do them or have taken a day (or even a full week!) off, but I don't feel guilty about it, ever.

This is for life, and I'm not going to be a slave to exercise or diet, but it is a part of my lifestyle and guilt has no part in it - whether it be over missing a workout or eating a double cheeseburger. :smile:
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Not so much guilt as i like eating more. Also, exercise (cardio, weights, stretching) helps keep my headaches and body stiffness at bay. I like how it makes me feel. I just feel good when i work out.

If you're exercising to the point of exhaustion or to precisely burn off everything you eat, then there could be an issue there.

Really sorry about your mom's diagnosis! (((((Hug)))))
  • ebayaddict0127
    ebayaddict0127 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    YES! I'm on day 4 of no exercise. And I don't think feeling guilty is a bad thing. You have something in your life that is taking you away right now and that's ok. Just try to get back to it when you can and don't beat yourself up.
  • OkamiLavande
    OkamiLavande Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Feeling guilty because you didn't work-out isn't healthy. I feel guilty if I don't do some form of exercise, so find little things to do instead so you feel less guilty. Ten minutes of light exercise might create enough of the endorphins so you ease the guilt but you should try and write down other reasons that might make you feel guilty about not exercising. Do you weigh yourself every day? That might cause some of the guilt. Everyone is afraid a cheat day would ruin their whole weight loss regime/plan, so not working out for a few days is like having cheat days, to me.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I feel a little guilty after 2 days of not working out. Even if I just go to the gym and walk on the treadmill for 20 mins (after a 2 day break)...I feel so much better. In your situation though, maybe your feelings aren't just related to not working out though. It sounds like you have a lot going on.
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    I wish I was a little more routine with my working out and that I felt some guilt if I didn't exercise.

What I do know for sure, though, is never feel like it's wrong to take time off if you are sick or dealing with something that is hard to handle. I'm so sorry for what you are going through. If you still feeling you can't exercise, I suggest a walk, or your usual routine bit allowing yourself a little less. A little can help a lot with your stress.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    I might miss or long for a workout when I'm not able to do them or have taken a day (or even a full week!) off, but I don't feel guilty about it, ever.

This is for life, and I'm not going to be a slave to exercise or diet, but it is a part of my lifestyle and guilt has no part in it - whether it be over missing a workout or eating a double cheeseburger. :smile:
    this is a ridiculously healthy mind set. i love it, and would like to adopt it myself :flowerforyou:
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    Nope, unless it has been 3 months :laugh:

Sorry to hear about your Mom. All the best.
  • Anens630
    Anens630 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Yes, I weigh myself everyday and struggle with even a two pound weight gain (from just water weight).

I honestly think I'm starting some type of eating disorder---is that possible? I eat very healthy and make sure I don't starve myself and I'm not throwing up---but mentally I feel like I should be ashamed of not working out. I think its low self-esteem even though on the outside, people would think I'm fabulous--mentally, i beat myself up. How the heck do you stop that!!

I shouldn't be so hard on myself just getting my moms diagnosis and taking care of a 3, 2 and 10 month old---but I am..so that's not healthy at all.
  • Jambalady
    Jambalady Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    YES! I'm on day 4 of no exercise. And I don't think feeling guilty is a bad thing. You have something in your life that is taking you away right now and that's ok. Just try to get back to it when you can and don't beat yourself up.

Yes! I feel like all my hard work is easier to undo than do and that it is so easy to go back to not working out. But I agree that under normal conditions this is not necessarily a bad thing.

Of course, right now, you need to focus on your mom and your personal life. Those take priority and you should feel comfortable that you will get right back on track once things get back to "normal" again.
  • PrairieRunner2015
    PrairieRunner2015 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I don't feel guilty if I miss a workout, but I do feel as if my day isn't complete unless I have (Even on a rest day, I feel compelled to at least go for a walk.).
  • sarahg148
    sarahg148 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Yes...I hope your Mom caught the cancer early!

As far as feeling guilty...I used to feel that way, but now I've tried to focus more on my diet so I don't freak out if I don't get a workout in. What do they say...80-90% diet and 20-10% exercise??? I'm going to start back up again soon. I think this past Winter was the longest drought I've had of not going to the gym OR caring about getting to the gym. Sure, I've gained about 5-6 lbs, but know that will come off as soon as I get back into gear in a few weeks or so when the weather starts to clear up a bit.

For yourself...maybe just do something small to keep moving and active until you can get to the gym. Do some squats and resistance at home and just walk everywhere if possible...just keep moving. You WON'T gain weight overnight. If you take a month or two long break, then you may lose some muscle or cardio strength but that will come back quickly once you get into gear. Good luck!
  • Anens630
    Options
    Maybe I will walk on the treadmill after I put the kids to bed. I don't think I have it in me to run but maybe that will help me feel more complete....maybe the working out has caused me to be high on endorphins---don't they say runners get a "runners high"--maybe its like I'm in detox now--for three days I didn't sweat and get that high feeling...maybe??

Thank you for the well wishes on my mom
  • other678
    other678 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Nup as long as Im not overeating.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your mother. I don't feel guilty, but I do get a little cranky if I go too long without exercising. I am recovering from surgery, and I will not know when I can get back in the gym until my doctor's appointment next week. It is driving me nuts!
  • Anens630
    Options
    Well this stress these past three days has caused me to eat junk...I think I'm in my calorie limit---but I have been eating quite the handful of my kid's goldfish crackers...whereas last week, prior to the news, I would take the time and eat some plain greek yogurt with fresh strawberries....these past couple days---I could have cared less about that and just wanted salt, chocolate, and goldfish crackers.
  • 32sami
    32sami Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I don't feel guilty unless it becomes a pattern because I work hard and sometimes I'm just tired and don't have it in me. I know what you mean though because I used to be like that a few years ago. There's nothing wrong with taking a break because you know it's not a lifestyle change and you will keep going. If it was me, my mom would be my first priority too. Cut yourself some slack. :)
  • MarKayDee
    Options
    It's perfectly normal to feel this way in the wake of such terrible news, you feel like you're letting yourself down, when you've just been let down by the universe. It sucks. I'm very sorry for you, but don't let it drag you down, and don't feel guilty over goldfish crackers. If they're good enough for your growing children, they're good enough for you.
    Do you have a significant other, or close friend who could watch the kids for a little so you can go for a run? If not you could always get the kids in on the exercise. This morning I wanted to jog, but my son wanted my attention so I cleared up all of the floors in my tiny apartment and we raced from the living room to the kitchen to the hallway and back again, after that we played tag. At the end of it I had 20-30 minutes of (admittedly light) jogging in me, and he was ready for a nap.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    i haven't gone to the gym in over a week. I wouldn't say I feel guilty, there's nothing to feel guilty about or for. I feel disappointed and sad that I haven't gone. Last weekend I couldn't go because my boyfriend was sick so I didn't want to leave the kid home with him while I went. and this week either he has had to work late every day or I have, and someone has to go pick up my son from school. I know i could make it happen if I really wanted to badly enough (like I could go in the mornings) but I think I will be ok.
  • lisatrish
    lisatrish Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are really stressing out and have anxiety about this. Number one priority you need to take care of yourself and stress is not good for you - your mom and kids need you to be the best you. If you feel the need to workout do 20 minutes of yoga to help you relax - the breathing techniques and stretches are a great workout but also a great stress reliever. Don't be to hard on yourself - life happens and it isn't always easy. I hope your mom does well and I will send out a pray for both her and yourself.