Zoloft and weight gain?

Options
13»

Replies

• angierosed
    angierosed Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I absolutely agree with you. I had to switch from Zoloft to Wellbutrin because of weight gain. I packed on almost 25 lbs in less than 6 months on Zoloft. which made me even more depressed. After excersing like crazy and eating sensibly; the weight didn't come off until I switched to Wellbutrin. So far I've lost 15 of the 25 lbs I gained. The doctor that prescribed the Wellbutrin did tell me that Zoloft is known for weight gain along with a few others. Wellbutrin is one med that is known more with weight loss rather than weight gain. I can't speak for anyone else but this has been my experience.

I'm glad you had an up front and honest doctor that didn't deny the weight gain side effect, like some doctors do.
  • corinne1977
    corinne1977 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I weaned myself off Zoloft over the course of a month or so before starting Wellbutrin. Please go slow and don't stop the medication abrubtly. The withdrawal is no fun!
  • corinne1977
    corinne1977 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Yes, I was very fortunate to find this doctor. He won't just write a prescription just because you ask for it.
  • ludeo
    ludeo Posts: 75
    Options
    I put on weight with it as well, off it now and struggling to lose.
    I'm really trying now so I'll see how it goes.
  • ludeo
    ludeo Posts: 75
    Options
    What's wellbutin???
  • Jlopez1961
    Options
    Thought I might add my 2 cents worth. I recently had an interruption in my prescription for Zoloft (20mg) and realized that I began to loose weight. I noticed only because I weigh myself every day frustrated in the fact that my weight refuses to budge. Like others, I think I eat well, lift weights much as a power lifter would, 4 times a week and tend to eat more a night. I read an interesting possibility why it is that we put on weight: your not/"not as" depressed and like food more than ever so you eat more. I put on 30 pounds when it was in my best interest to lose weight (heart surgery). I'd like to come off of this medicine, but like others, the doc warns against it. I was a bit rattled over the possibility of death due to the heart issue and had related anxiety attacks for a short while. Nonetheless, doc says keep taking it. I believe its time for Jay to take care of Jay within reason!