Sugar

Natural sugars just as bad as added sugars? I hear so many different opinions about this. People say the sugar in milk, fruit, and other foods that are "natural" sugars in that particular food source should not be worried about. Then I hear that 'ALL" sugars natural and added should be treated the same and limited. I know most opinions here will differ, so Im not looking for clear cut answers, just merely measuring opinions.

Replies

• Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 770 Member
    Okay, here's an opinion. Sugar is tasty, I will never avoid it, in natural or added forms. However, as I don't want to be a fatass anymore, foods with "natural" sugars are better because they're more filling, contain more micronutrients, and are lower calorie so I can eat a butt ton of them without blowing my day. "Unnatural" sugars consumed in amounts that fit my calories and macros are fine, too. The sugar molecule itself looks the same, whether it came from an apple or an apple donut. Unfortunately I'm still working on the "if it fits my macros" part of the equation. It is toooo easy to go over on carbs.
  • goldilocks509
    goldilocks509 Posts: 76 Member
    if you are trying to lose weight then its a good idea to not eat a ton of sugar and that includes fruit. Having said that, its way better for you to have natural sugar than processed sugar if you want a sweet treat. There are carbs in fruit and that comes from the sugar. Eating less carbs will help your body to use fat for energy and burn that instead of carbs/sugar.
  • SharonNehring
    SharonNehring Posts: 535 Member
    In my opinion, it depends upon your goal and reason for limiting sugars. If you are looking for a healthy diet plan for weight loss alone, then fruit and dairy sugars are fine. If you are diabetic and need to closely monitor sugars/carbs, then those natural sugars are extremely important to keep in check.
  • HawkeyeTy
    HawkeyeTy Posts: 681 Member
    if you are trying to lose weight then its a good idea to not eat a ton of sugar and that includes fruit.

Why's that?
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    if you are trying to lose weight then its a good idea to not eat a ton of sugar and that includes fruit.

Why's that?

I would like to know the answer to this as well. I eat close to 100g or so of sugar every day, almost and I'm doing perfectly fine. Inside and out. I think the whole balancing your macros and practicing moderation comes into play but I don't even track sugar in my diary because it's meaningless to me. Sugar is a carb.
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    'natural' sugar is better because fruits etc, contain fibre and micronutrients that are good for us, which 'processed' or 'added' sugar does not have.

But, the actual sugar molecule is treated the treated by our body exactly the same.

My own philosophy is all things in moderation.
  • Sugar is good for you. There is good sugar and bad sugar, just like with fat. If you exercise you are going to need energy and you usually get that from carbs. If you do not eat a sufficient amount of carbs your body will find other ways to make sugar.....usually by burning muscle mass. I eat a tsp of sugar daily and usually eat my bread products for breakfast with that tsp of sugar in my coffee. Other than that I get the rest of my carbs through out the day from fruits and vegetables.

Sugar pre workout and protein after....has been working like a charm!
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    As with 'most all food; eaten as part of a balanced diet sugar is fine.

If you're unhealthy/obese, you may want to avoid having loads of it. If you're healthy and at an appropriate weight, it doesn't seem to be a problem if that's your source of carbs.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    I personally think added sugar is worse than natural sugar. I prefer to get my sugar from fruits.

For weight loss, I think limiting the amount of sugar you consume is important. If you have diabetes, IR, or hypoglycemia, then it's also essential to watch your sugar intake. But other than that, it's really a personal preference.
  • sohmui
    sohmui Posts: 108 Member
    I don't worry about sugar. I don't even have it on my nutrient table. As long as I don't eat whole boxes of chocolates and restrict myself to 'natural' sugar in fruit and everyday food, and to the odd teaspoon of sugar on cereal, I find it makes no difference to my general health or my weight. As written above, sugar in moderation should be part of your balanced diet.
  • Natural sugars are great, not at all like added. We -need- natural sugars, they're found in all fruits and vegetables, and all your 'good for you' carbohydrates.
    Without them your body will start eating away at your muscle as well as your fat to get the energy it needs.

As for Added sugar, you just simply don't need it.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    When you are in a caloric deficit you need to insure you are getting your nutrients. Fruit, milk, etc. come with a variety of beneficial nutrients. Sugar by itself becomes an issue when it displaces more nutrient dense foods (when they are needed).
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Here's some (scary) sugar info. http://www.babble.com/best-recipes/25-things-about-sugar-that-will-terrify-you/1-sugar-is-addictive/ I usually worry most about added sugars and not the sugar occurring naturally in fruits and other foods.
  • I personally was addicted to table sugar and its variants (honey, brown rice syrup, agave nectar, etc). I also felt that white starches (white pasta, white flour, white rice, potatoes) caused blood sugar highs and lows that triggered cravings, and as a sugar addict, I needed to control those cravings.

I am an RN but found this video VERY helpful in understanding the biochemistry of sugar in the human body:

http://youtu.be/dBnniua6-oM

Today, I eat 1-2 fruits a day (fruit has some sugar, but also water, fiber, nutrients) and I eat some whole grains. I try not to overdo either. I also eat vegetables (lots!), lean meats and full fat dairy (a little). This formula works for me. I'm dropping lbs, feeling great.

I thought I'd never give up sugar, ever. Best decision I ever made.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,994 Member
    When you are in a caloric deficit you need to insure you are getting your nutrients. Fruit, milk, etc. come with a variety of beneficial nutrients. Sugar by itself becomes an issue when it displaces more nutrient dense foods (when they are needed).

Well said...
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,994 Member
    Eating less carbs will help your body to use fat for energy and burn that instead of carbs/sugar.

If you are sedentary... If you are active it is another story.

Eating less calories overall will force your body to use fat stores for energy.