Thyroid Disorder

Options
Ive done my share of researching and me and my friend think i have a thyroid disorder i have all the symptoms what are good drugstore vitamins and supplements that can help boost my thyroid plan on buying em tomorrow!

Replies

• wannakimmy
    wannakimmy Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't you like to know whether you have an issue before you try to "fix" it?

Consult your physician. JMO
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    No supplement will help a true a thyroid disorder.

Go get tested.
  • LinDiSm26262
    LinDiSm26262 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    You need to have some blood work done to get your count and see if you have thyroid disease. If you have hyper or hypo thyroid ism your doctor will prescribe thyroid medication. You can' t correct thyroid disease with supplements. I have had hypothyroidism for 25 years and have a blood test every six months to a year to make sure I'm taking the correct dosage. Please make an appointment with your doctor or an endocrinologist.
  • auzziecawth66
    auzziecawth66 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Problem with getting tested they will tell you that it's in the normal range (which is huge) but you could still be really low. You should get tested but ask to know a specific number and that if it's on the low side if you can try low dose and see if it helps you.
  • sfp420
    Options
    I have had a thyroid problem all my life. There are no drug store fixes. You need to get to your MD for blood work. If you really do have a problem with your thyroid you should get on a prescription medication for it. You'll have to take it for the rest of your life, small price to pay to feel better and not put yourself at risk. Thyroid disorders are very serious if left unchecked.
  • arcana7609
    arcana7609 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Problem with getting tested they will tell you that it's in the normal range (which is huge) but you could still be really low. You should get tested but ask to know a specific number and that if it's on the low side if you can try low dose and see if it helps you.

Or as in my case your thyroid problem doesn't show up on a normal test they give you. My grandmother's didn't either, right up until they had to remove it...

Of course now since it's went untreated for years yay it's bad enough that it finally started showing up on their tests and I now have Hashimoto's disease. I am so lucky!! :grumble:

so even if you go have it tested and it shows up "low normal or high normal" I would insist on further testing.

In 1998 I developed Lone atrial fib, which can be a symptom of thyroid. I went through a ton of invasive tests on my heart since I am hugely fat. To learn my heart was normal and they didn't know why I had a-fib. I even told them my grandmother, the one with the missing thryoid, also had these racing heart episodes. I was ignored again and again because the basic test showed "low normal".

What might be low normal for one person, might be really bad some someone else. We're all different and I am not sure why doctors don't treat us as individuals. It's good to have a baseline, but when someone with missing eyebrows, thinning hair, fatigure, a-fib etc tells you that they have 11 family members all with thyroid disorders that maybe they should listen.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    MFP has a Hypothyroidism and Hyperthyroidism group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/770-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    As others said get tested. Make sure you are getting enough selenium. A few brazil nuts a day will get you there. Some have also noticed symptom improvement by using only coconut oil for cooking. (this one I can't vouch for). Raw cabbage, cauliflower and broccoli are not good if you have a thyroid problem. Unfortunately there are no supplement cures out there.
  • auzziecawth66
    auzziecawth66 Posts: 479 Member
    Options

Or as in my case your thyroid problem doesn't show up on a normal test they give you. My grandmother's didn't either, right up until they had to remove it...

Of course now since it's went untreated for years yay it's bad enough that it finally started showing up on their tests and I now have Hashimoto's disease. I am so lucky!! :grumble:

so even if you go have it tested and it shows up "low normal or high normal" I would insist on further testing.

In 1998 I developed Lone atrial fib, which can be a symptom of thyroid. I went through a ton of invasive tests on my heart since I am hugely fat. To learn my heart was normal and they didn't know why I had a-fib. I even told them my grandmother, the one with the missing thryoid, also had these racing heart episodes. I was ignored again and again because the basic test showed "low normal".

What might be low normal for one person, might be really bad some someone else. We're all different and I am not sure why doctors don't treat us as individuals. It's good to have a baseline, but when someone with missing eyebrows, thinning hair, fatigure, a-fib etc tells you that they have 11 family members all with thyroid disorders that maybe they should listen.
    Wow. I'm really sorry that happened to you :(. I strongly believe they need to change the criteria for how they look at and test the tyroid levels it just doesn't work the way they do it now... I think there is alot of people out there that are told they are normal but it's not where it should be for them as an individual...

Edit to add my dad was told his tyroid was normal (even though it was on the low end of normal) for years until it was pretty much non existent (new doctor couldn't understand how he was functioning) he's doing much better now that he's finally getting treatment
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    How about going to a doctor to see if you have a condition? If you do, you need medication to get your body on track or you're asking for trouble.