Daily Calorie Burn Devices

When I wore my Body Media I absolutely loved all the information it gave me, but honestly I was not a fan of this big bulky square always sitting on my arm-and the rash that accompanied it from the strap. Can anyone recommend a similar device that is more practical to wear, is accurate in it's data, and that doesn't look ugly?

Replies

• My calorie burning device is a speed rope. It builds your shin bones, hand-eye coordination, can be done indoors or outdoors, and burns more calories. 15 minutes of moderate-paced speed rope is equivalent to that of running an mile in 8 minutes
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Oh thank you but I'm not talking about fitness equipment like that. I mean those devices you wear that track things like steps taken and such to give you an approximation of how many calories your body burned that day.
  • GrapeEyes
    GrapeEyes Posts: 2 Member
    I think what you are looking for is a calorie counter that tracks what you've burned. I would recommend the Polar line of Heart Rate Monitors.

You just wear a band around your chest, it calculates your heart rate andn you can read it on a watch that you can wear comfortably around your wrist. It wirelessly transfers the data so you can quickly see and track your fitness level. It will also tell you how many calories you are burning during an exercise.

If you are looking for something to wear all day long and not just during a workout, I would just wear a step counter and input the steps into a program to calculate an estimate on calories burned.

I have the Polar FT4 and I love it <3

Hope this was helpful
  • glassgallm
    glassgallm Posts: 276 Member
    I use a garmin heart rate monitor. I have an older model: fr60. There is a newer model out now. It has a chest strap that accurately measures my heart rate and a watch that I wear on my wrist. I've been using it for about 2 years now and although I would love a 1 piece thing with no chest strap, they haven't really made one yet that doesn't give people a rash.
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    You should look at the FitBit and other "activity monitors"; these are worn all day long, and can be worn during exercise, but are mainly for daily use. There are tons of new and different models to choose from, from ones you wear on your wrist to more discreet ones. Prices range from about $50 for a decent one to $200 or so. Spending more generally means you get more data :smile:

A heart rate monitor is only for defined "exercise" time and is very useful if you are going to workout and need to know how many calories you can plan on eating back, etc.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Yes, I'm not looking for a HRM. I have a polar, well had, but I want an all day one. My body media got too annoying to keep wearing... I gear a lot about the fitbit, but mainly about how it's not very accurate :/
  • tammymusic1
    tammymusic1 Posts: 243 Member
    following I am curious about these as well