Macros

Options
Hey guys

I've recently reached target and I'm doing some training with a friend. Because I've lost a lot of weight quite quickly, I've got some flabby skin on my tummy now. I'm on a macro of 40% fats, 30% carbs and 30% protein and averaging about 2400 calories a day.

Question is - is that good? I know it's relative from body to body, but I was wondering if a high fat diet is good especially if you want to gain muscle? I think I was put on a high fat diet because of the loose skin and apparently "healthy fats" help the skin and to help so muscle can fill the "flabby area".

I'd be grateful for any information/input.

Thanks! :)

Replies

• andyluvv
    andyluvv Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Anyone? :s
  • iWin4Life
    Options
    Hi Andyluvv - From my research and experience here are my thoughts:

1. Start a weight training routine if you have not already. Work your way up to lifting heavy.
    2. Bump up your protein, as protein helps your muscles to repair quicker from weight lifting. This helps your muscles fill out more and helps them fill in the loose skin.
    3. I'm not sure about the high fat % and how it helps loose skin; however, I do not that protein is the best macro for your muscles.

Remember that it takes time for the loose skin to fill in and patience and persistence is key. Best to you. -)
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Protein: 1-1.5g per lb of Lean Body Mass or 0.8-1g per lb of body weight
    Fat: 0.3g per lbs of body weight

^ those are minimums

Fill in with carbs however you see fit after you've met those minimums. Pick up a strength or resistance program for your workouts and make sure you're getting adequate protein to start working on a body recomposition if you're already at a healthy weight. You may even want to try a legitimate bulk and cut cycle.
  • michael300891
    Options
    To lose fat you need a calorie deficit of around 500kcal/day to lose 1lb a week.

Assuming your 2400 calorie intake is the goal you plan your macros by absolute weight, ratios are irrelavant your body doesn't consume percentages.

Start with protein. RDA is 0.8g/kg of your bodyweight, but I would recommend 1.2g/kg/day which is for the recommend intake for muscle gain.

Then work in your fats, primarily from unsaturated sources. You want between 70-90g of healthy fats a day.

Now do the maths, 1 g of protein = 4 kcal, 1g fat = 9kcal. Work out how much your target macros for protein and fat would be in kcal

Lets say your 80kg (im not sure of your actual weight)

You take 1.2x80 = 100g protein and 70g fat. Thats 100x4 and 70x9 = 400kcal + 630kcal (1030kcal).

Your target was 2400kcal? So substract 1030 making a total of 1370kcal.

Carbs are 4kcal/gram so to meet the energy requirements you want 340g carb approx.

So, assuming your around 80kg aiming for 2400 your macros are:

340g carb, 100g protein, 70g fat.

By energy contribution thats 1370kcal carb : 400kcal protein :

640kcal fat or 57% carb : 16% protein, 26% fat.

Those numbers are quite flexible though. If you want to cut more energy, substract it from the carbohydrate section. The protein and fat quantity should not decrease.

In summary, work out your planned energy deficit, work out protein, work out fat, calculate carbohydrate to fill the gap.

Also, don't be concerned about swapping some of that carb for additional protein, it wont do much, but wont cause any harm.

Cheers, Mike.
  • andyluvv
    andyluvv Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Hey guys thanks for the answers!
    I'm currently 65.3 (probably 65) kg now (143.3 lbs I believe?). I'm 5'10" (that's 1.79 m). Body fat is about 12% and I don't need to lose fat, just have the flab from the loose skin around my tummy. I started lifting after the third month of diet and am now doing heavier training like dead lifts and globe squats.

So how would that work out in the ratios? That sounds extremely interesting and confusing. My current are
    2400 calories, 107g of fat, 180g of carbs and 180g of protein.

Should I change them on weight and rest days? And finally do you eat back exercise calories?

Thanks again guys!
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Your ratios are likely fine. Adjust the carb/fat ratio if you find your training lacking.

I think people go more for 40%carb/30%fat/30% protein. But as long as you are hitting
    the range for fat and protein you should be good.