I've had to mentally adjust down my daily protein goal

Options
2»

Replies

• kaydoh2014
    kaydoh2014 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I haven't changed my deodorant, and the smell isn't from my underarms - it's from my pores. Since I've cut back a little on my increased protein, the smell is already getting better. My intent and desire is to NOT go back to the ridiculously low amount of protein I used to ingest. I'm trying to figure out how to help everything balance out. And it's good a thing I'm not easily scared or a jump-to-the-worst-case-scenario kind of gal because the person who suggested I could have something wrong with my kidneys could have just sent me into a tailspin if I were. With the exception of my calcium level, which is only minutely higher than it should be, all of my levels are very healthy. I know this because I get my blood and urine tested every 6 months since we know I have genetic predispositions to stay on top of. There is nothing functionally wrong with my body - it's just adjusting to a different diet than it's used to. I believe it's important to listen to my body, and my body was definitely telling me something's not quite right. What I'd like to do is tell my body to just shut up and do what i tell it to do! LOL
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    As a runner, I sometimes get that ammonia stink after a run, but not always... and I eat about 150g protein daily. I haven't figured out yet what it's from (and I've googled it a number of times)... seems to be not enough fuel or not enough hydration. I don't think it's too much protein.
  • sandi117
    sandi117 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    sandi117, I totally appreciate your continued help on this! You're helping me more than you can imagine.

I didn't know I could adjust my ratios. I use what's set by MFP - 50% carbs, 30% fat, 20% protein. And I know I've made life difficult by not showing my diary, but that's because I use my diary as a diary, not just a log. It's usually pretty personal.

As for my activity level, I'm getting there. I do an hour of cardio Saturday and Sunday, and I exercise for an hour two nights a week doing a bunch of different stuff - whatever mood strikes us (me and my workday workout buddy). And I am bound and determined to become a runner, although because of back issues I have to do it very slowly and carefully. My regular life can be pretty active - hiking, riding a quad, playing paintball, heavy gardening, I do all the shoveling / lawn mowing / leaf raking. If I'm in the mood to go, I'm going to go until I can't do any more. I enjoy moving my body and pushing myself. But my life can also be pretty couch potato-y (reading, crocheting, Pinteresting, and now MFPing lol). Worst of all I have a desk job. A very busy desk job where I don't have a whole lot of opportunity to get up and move around.

Not a problem. When I first started, I looked for all the help I could get. Not all of the advice I got was good, some of it was just plain backwards and could have seriously injured me in one way or another if I followed it. :grumble: However, there have been plenty of gold nuggets of information I've been given or have come across through my searches. I'm still learning how it all works. Like WTF are macros, how are calories not all the same, blah blah blah... :noway: It gets confusing. And like you said in one of your other posts, sometimes you just need to listen to (or smell) your body to know if things are going right or wrong.

To go with the person who asked about switching deodorants, have you switched body washes? I may be going out on a limb with that one, but my guess is if deodorants can cause some people to experience the ammonia smell, why not body washes too? I'm not quite as educated on that... (Though I do know great moisturizers and pre-swim treatments to prevent and treat pool rash!)

No need to worry about how quickly you get into running, or any other activities you may decide to try. The point is to develop a healthy lifestyle and way of living, not to be the best at everything, and to do everything RIGHT NOW. Like most say, slow and steady wins the race, I just think it depends on how slow you want to go. :wink:

As for your diary, that's your own decision. Just a lot of people will ask for others to open theirs when they need help figuring things out. So for future reference, when (yes when) you ask for more advice on here, be sure to give all the background you can in the beginning so others don't have to fish.

PS - I love to crochet! I've been working on a blanket for the past month and a half that seems to hate me lol

Feel free to add me as a friend! :flowerforyou: