How do you run fast on race day?

Options
I'm training for my first half marathon. I have never run a longer race distance than 10km previously. So I ran 12.3 km this morning in 81 mins. This is my longest ever run. I'm in uncharted territory here. And it was easy! I made sure to run slow and easy, you know, cos that's what you're supposed to do for your long run, and still managed 6:37 min/km for my average pace, which I was very happy with. However, this is a lot slower pace than I want to run during my HM.

I asked my husband how it is that you can run at a faster pace in your long distance race, when you only ever do your long runs slow. And also, how do you know for sure you can even cover the distance if you haven't during your training; e.g. My training program only goes up to 110 mins long run, and I know I will be out there for more than 2 hours on race day. He said it's because you've done speed work during your training, you've tapered before your race so you're fresh, you fuel during the race so you can keep going after your body's fuel resources are used up, you push harder during the race, and the race atmosphere will take you over the line. It seems like you have to put a lot of trust in your training.

What are other people's thoughts / experiences?

Replies

• bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    It's been a long time since I last ran a race. But your husband's advice squares with my memories of running a 25K. The long run gives you the endurance, while speedwork provides power. The trick is pushing yourself harder than you do on long runs while not going so fast that you exhaust yourself before the race ends. One way to do that is to run negative splits: start out slower than your race pace, then pick up the pace in the second half of the race. I did that in my 25K, and I got an enormous psychological boost from passing all the tired runners who had passed me in the first half of the race.

ETA: Oh, and good luck!
  • michable
    michable Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    It's been a long time since I last ran a race. But your husband's advice squares with my memories of running a 25K. The long run gives you the endurance, while speedwork provides power. The trick is pushing yourself harder than you do on long runs while not going so fast that you exhaust yourself before the race ends. One way to do that is to run negative splits: start out slower than your race pace, then pick up the pace in the second half of the race. I did that in my 25K, and I got an enormous psychological boost from passing all the tired runners who had passed me in the first half of the race.

ETA: Oh, and good luck!

Thankyou! I have heard my husband talk about negative splits, too. I shall have to try that!
  • ChadPRun
    ChadPRun Posts: 735
    Options
    Your husband is exactly right! Do your speed work and long runs. Then trust them on race day and just enjoy the race!
  • michable
    michable Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Your husband is exactly right! Do your speed work and long runs. Then trust them on race day and just enjoy the race!

Thankyou - I will try to trust and enjoy!