I have an opportunity, and I would like your opinions

Options
Hi all, I am new to the site, so hopefully this is the proper place to post this, if not, then Moderators, feel free to move/delete this. Otherwise, I have a question for the folks here on myfitnesspal.To sum it up, he is offering me 150 sessions (3X/wk) for 130$ a month because I am a friend/acquaintance. He will work with me at the gym, take me shopping to find the proper foods if I want, go on runs, whatever I need to meet my personal goals. His normal rates are $270 per month. The catch is that I am committed for a year. My personal goals are to gain weight, and build muscle because currently I am a lanky, stick-like fellow. If you guys were in my shoes, would you consider taking this opportunity? I really am tired of being so skinny, and this seems like an opportunity I should take, I just don't know if the cost would be worth it in the end, so let me know your personal opinions. Thank you.

Replies

• LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Did he set a date you have to take the deal by for it to be valid??

If not, I'd stick around MFP for a month or two. Read the forums, join the group Eat Train Progress and learn.

Its very possible for you to do this on your own. So id try for 2 months to eat above maintenance and lift heavy weights (look at Stronglifts 5x5 or Allpro or Blaha 5x5 or Starting Strength)
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I am new to the site, so hopefully this is the proper place to post this, if not, then Moderators, feel free to move/delete this. Otherwise, I have a question for the folks here on myfitnesspal. I know the guy who runs this website here at http://oneyearfitnesschallenge.com/. To sum it up, he is offering me 150 sessions (3X/wk) for 130$ a month because I am a friend/acquaintance. He will work with me at the gym, take me shopping to find the proper foods if I want, go on runs, whatever I need to meet my personal goals. His normal rates are $270 per month. The catch is that I am committed for a year. My personal goals are to gain weight, and build muscle because currently I am a lanky, stick-like fellow. If you guys were in my shoes, would you consider taking this opportunity? I really am tired of being so skinny, and this seems like an opportunity I should take, I just don't know if the cost would be worth it in the end, so let me know your personal opinions. Thank you.

NOBODY needs a personal trainer for 150 sessions, that's absurd. A personal trainer can be useful to teach you the ins and outs of weight lifting and weight lifting programs, but to have a personal trainer 3 times a week for an entire year is absolutely ridiculous. Feel free to do what you want, but there's so much information about fitness and exercise on the internet now that if you're willing to take the time to do a little bit of research and watch youtube videos on proper weighlifting technique, there's no reason you can't save yourself the $1560 you were going to spend and teach yourself. If you are going to get a personal trainer, do not get a year long commitment.
  • overground55
    Options
    he hasn't set a date, but ideally, I would have some sort of answer by early March. I have been doing starting strength, but not having much success. I think part of it is I am not consistent, and my metabolism is so high, that I can't gain any weight unless Im 100 percent determined. It would be nice to have someone who is supporting me along side that, even if he is just a trainer.
  • LishieFruit89
    Options
    he hasn't set a date, but ideally, I would have some sort of answer by early March. I have been doing starting strength, but not having much success. I think part of it is I am not consistent, and my metabolism is so high, that I can't gain any weight unless Im 100 percent determined. It would be nice to have someone who is supporting me along side that, even if he is just a trainer.

He wont always be there to hold your hand.

If you want this, you need to have the mental toughness to do it on your own.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options

I would have to agree with Lishie. You do not need to spend that sort of money to get your desired result, and in the end, you will feel much more accomplished if you can reach your goals by yourself. I also second the suggestion to join the Eat, train, progress group on this site, as the people there have helped quite a few to move towards their goals.
  • overground55
    Options

I would have to agree with Lishie. You do not need to spend that sort of money to get your desired result, and in the end, you will feel much more accomplished if you can reach your goals by yourself. I also second the suggestion to join the Eat, train, progress group on this site, as the people there have helped quite a few to move towards their goals.

You tell me to do it on my own, and yet in your very next sentence, you tell me to do it with a group of people here on the site. I'm not quite sure that I understand your logic. Can you explain further for me?
  • LishieFruit89
    Options

You tell me to do it on my own, and yet in your very next sentence, you tell me to do it with a group of people here on the site. I'm not quite sure that I understand your logic. Can you explain further for me?

She's saying save your money and use the free resources here at MFP
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options

They might be advising and guiding you, but they won't be holding your hand around the gym.
    Good grief. I shall not waste my time advising someone like yourself again.
    Do whatever the heck you want.
  • overground55
    Options

They might be advising and guiding you, but they won't be holding your hand around the gym.
    Good grief. I shall not waste my time advising someone like yourself again.
    Do whatever the heck you want.
    sorry, I didn't mean to come across as rude or offensive, I was only trying to get a better picture on why you view one more appropriate than the other. Its a big investment though on the part of this trainer, and I guess Ill have to really rethink this all. Thanks for the feedback.
  • florentinovillaro
    florentinovillaro Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Have you put in an honest effort here at MFP? You have everything you need right here.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Just remember one thing... Trainers are in to make money, it's their job... And their main priority....most people on here are happy to help because of their passion, payment free!

All you need to do is eat more and lift heavy ****... You have to do that, there's no magic that a trainer can do... They can support/motivate but essentially it's all you!
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    I think it's very worthwhile to hire a trainer for a month to make sure you learn proper form. Personalized attention and immediate feedback is pretty valuable so if you can afford it, do it. A trainer will be able to spot flexibility issues, muscle imbalances if you have any and help correct them. It's easy to learn poor form, which can lead to lack of progress or worse, injury.
  • bheathfit
    bheathfit Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    It's all cost versus reward. This "Opportunity" will cost you $1560 per year. Below are additional realistic (IMO) costs for first 12 months:

Increased food intake: $1200
    Vitamins / supplements: $300-$1800 (Depending on what and how much)
    Gym Membership: $360
    Gym gear and clothes: $600 (Don't buy cheap stuff... Really...)
    Additional Travel / Fuel: $624 ($4 per trip, 3X Week. Reduced if you train on way to/from work, etc..))

How much is it worth to you? I spend the money on most of these as it stands and have occasionally hired a trainer. Though I am noticeably larger than before I began this journey, I do not feel that I have achieved anywhere close to my personal potential. Play with the numbers and see what you are comfortable with. If you have the money, go for it. If you do not, maybe see if he will do 3 months at $150 instead...

Personally, I have never considered hiring anyone for more than 12-15 sessions. Maybe if I did, I would be achieving more, but I am comfortable with current cost vs reward.
  • OverDoIt
    OverDoIt Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Hey Dude,
    Here are my thoughts as a fitness pal. Trainers are great, I have been training for many years off and on. When I began I battled with gaining aswell. I do not claim to know everything, do not trust anyone who tells you they do. I still use a trainer to this day. However, my trainer is an IFBB pro, 40 years experience, charges 50 per 1/2 hour. Why do I pay him ? Because I know that true masters of any art will know that there is always something more to learn. I will make a commitment to you for free to help you out. Send me a friend request or a message and we can chat about your options and goals. I am not trying to sell you anything, I do not want anything from you. There are some secrets that I do know which I will not devulge out in the open here. BTW, you trainer friend is NESTA certified. NESTA has changed hands and names and is an online program with no real in the field training. I am very intimate with that outfit and can tell you that it is more of a certification mill than a stand up association. that does not mean your boy does not have the goods, but I am offering you an opportunity for free. Hit me up and lets talk.
  • bheathfit
    bheathfit Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Hey Dude,
    Here are my thoughts as a fitness pal. Trainers are great, I have been training for many years off and on. When I began I battled with gaining aswell. I do not claim to know everything, do not trust anyone who tells you they do. I still use a trainer to this day. However, my trainer is an IFBB pro, 40 years experience, charges 50 per 1/2 hour. Why do I pay him ? Because I know that true masters of any art will know that there is always something more to learn. I will make a commitment to you for free to help you out. Send me a friend request or a message and we can chat about your options and goals. I am not trying to sell you anything, I do not want anything from you. There are some secrets that I do know which I will not devulge out in the open here. BTW, you trainer friend is NESTA certified. NESTA has changed hands and names and is an online program with no real in the field training. I am very intimate with that outfit and can tell you that it is more of a certification mill than a stand up association. that does not mean your boy does not have the goods, but I am offering you an opportunity for free. Hit me up and lets talk.

^^^ this^^^
    When someone with more mass than you, who has spent this kind of $$ on dedicated training offers to help in the way he just did. Take them seriously and show up to go to work.. That is all... LOL!!
  • OverDoIt
    OverDoIt Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    bheathfit, I hope you are being sincere and if so I appreciate it. I am really trying to help this dude, I do take this pretty serious. Why should he spend the money when I am offering him support for free. That is the idea and spirit behind this site. We are here to really help eachother. Maybe you can help me, maybe I can help you in your journey. I do not understand the LOL! There is nothing funny about helping someone with their dreams and goals.
  • kiwicant
    Options
    I wouldn't commit for a year... that would be $1560... no way man! Maybe try 2 months and see where it goes!?
  • kldnkids
    kldnkids Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Fitness does not have an expiry date. It is a life-style change that needs to become as natural (though requiring more effort) as brushing your teeth in the morning.

Personal trainers can produce amazing results for those who lack discipline and need the constant motivation. The downside is, a large percentage of people fall to pieces once the PT has gone away.

Ultimately, there are far too many people who have achieved amazing success from personal effort, and without the huge expense.

Also, clearly from the feedback on this site...you have plenty of support here.

You are correct however, consistency is key.

Stick to it, make it your favourite hobby - it is a mind-set...and once you have it you won't look back.
  • biggsterjackster
    biggsterjackster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    One year commitment is crazy. I would never do that. If you really need guidance until you figure it out on your own or you have no clue on how you start your weight loss journey, hire a PT for a couple month or so. Also, there is enough information (diet, training plans etc on the web) for free. In my opinion.... PTs are a waste of money.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    Watch the following movies:

Forks Over Knives
    Hungry For Change and Food Inc.

These will help you figure out what to eat and purchase for $1.00 on Netflix.

Also I [ay only $70/month at my local YMCA and can use their trainers for free!