How do you wear low rise pants?

ktyang04
ktyang04 Posts: 60
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
So, after being fat for so long, I wear my pants up to my belling button. Because of that, I have two big budges on top and on the bottom. When I try to wear low rise pants, I have a big ugly muffin top.

How do you train your body as you lose weight to be able to wear low rise, cause most pants are that way now. How do you get rid of your muffin?

Replies

• You can't spot reduce fat. The only way to get rid of the dreaded muffin is to lose fat mass over all (your body will decide where to burn it from). Sad, but true.
  • I have to agree with Stringcheeze xxx
  • knittygirl52
    knittygirl52 Posts: 432 Member
    As soon as I saw your topic the first words I thought were "Yeah, I try NOT to wear lowrise pants! Actually I think most people should not wear them. You should need to be built like a movie star in order to be allowed to purchase them. They are starting to show highwaist (with a waistband that starts at the belly button and goes up about 2 inches from there) pants now, so I'm hoping that style will catch on!

In the meantime, I buy the highest rise lowrise pants I can and do my best to wear tops that are both flattering and yet don't reveal any muffinness.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    You can't chose where to lose the fat from, but you can tone your midsection so that as the fat burns off it revels toned and firm abs and obliques that will help keep that area in shape.

For this though, you really should do at least 20 mins of abs / core 3 times a week. It makes a huge difference! I am 3 weeks into P90x and went to my gym which just reopened yesterday after flooding. The simple 10 mins of abs we do at the end of class that I struggled with a month ago were nearly easy now! I did abs 15 mins twice a week in college and there was a huge difference there too. Be sure to do targeted ab routines - and not just 100 crunchies or sit ups. I like a DVD because i slack if i just do it myself. Remember to warm up like any exercise though.

And also remember, this won't make you burn more fat off your belly and hips, it will just firm up what is under there and collectively it will eliminate the muffin top. Depending on where you carry your weight though - that might be the last thing to go! So don't get discouraged in the mean time!
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Lowrise pants are the work of the :devil: ! I agree that most people should not be wearing, even the stick thin people-- I am so tired of seeing parts of body parts in public! Anyway, like a previous poster said, there are some brands with a natural waist. I found some Lee jeans that were great. Also, Eddie Bauer has pants of varying cuts and waist heights, so look around and don't despair in trying to spot reduce.
  • Thank you.
  • Alioth
    Alioth Posts: 571 Member
    Aww, some of us short-bodied people can't do a highrise pant without looking like Steve Erkel. :tongue: I envy you long-waisted minxes.

There are some really cute new styles out there! I agree too that there are also some better brands of clothes out there that have various "styles" for different bodyshapes that help. Sometimes they cost more money, but it's nice to have pants that are flattering instead of being merely functional.
  • If you have to buy low rise, wear a body- skimming camisole to flatten out your tummy under whatever shirt you choose to wear. I swear by these tank. I buy them at Target for like $15 a piece and don't leave home without it. They really do work to smooth out the torso. Also make sure you wear a longer shirt over the jeans so there's no peakin going on.

Thanks I will try that.
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    I like the mid rise. It sits right in the middle of the lower ab bulge, w/o having a muffin top issue. I do have one low rise that my husband convinced me to buy, because he thought i looked great in them. I hate when I wear them. I feel like they are going to fall off of me. I am constantly tugging them up. AND I cannot bend over with them, it leaves little to the imagination!
  • rockinmomto3
    rockinmomto3 Posts: 97 Member
    I wear mid rise. I have a big butt (always have...it's quite bubbly! lol), so in order for my pants to not show butt cleavage, I have to wear mid rise. Old Navy has some REALLY awesome mid rise jeans.
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    I'm so glad to see I'm not the only one with this problem. Getting higher waisted trousers in the UK is pretty difficult too. I find myself shopping in the more mature ladies sections, they seem to be the only ones who cater for those of us that are muffinly challenged!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    You just have to lose the weight. Do cardio and strength exercises to build endurance, stamina, and muscle. Your body will release the weight wherever it wants, whenever it wants. Just be patient. :happy:
  • Alioth
    Alioth Posts: 571 Member
    If you have to buy low rise, wear a body- skimming camisole to flatten out your tummy under whatever shirt you choose to wear. I swear by these tank. I buy them at Target for like $15 a piece and don't leave home without it. They really do work to smooth out the torso. Also make sure you wear a longer shirt over the jeans so there's no peakin going on.

Excellent point! I have an army of these kinds of tanks, all in different colors. They smooth out back fat too and hide bra lines. And when you tuck'm in, they keep accidents from happening when you bend over--from both kinds of cleavage! My brother calls them "boy armor" for that reason. Nobody can look down my shirt. :wink:
  • JPotvin
    JPotvin Posts: 108
    I am not sure "how to wear" them. I can't keep mine on since I have no tush at all...thanks kids! On a serious note...Levi's makes so many styles...I like the midrise so I can walk around without literally holding them up....and I am very short waisted at 5'0" The only way to lose the muffin top is to lose the weight and tone the muscle while you are at it! Good luck :)
  • robbienjill
    robbienjill Posts: 456 Member
    Do a search for "metro rise." They go up just a tiny bit higher than low rise and look trendy and fabulous:)
  • Paige1108
    Paige1108 Posts: 432 Member
    I'm not comfortable in low rise so I opt for the mid rise also. They button about an inch to and inch and half below the belly button. Almost all jean makers have a mid rise jean and for slacks I love the way Ann Taylor Loft's slacks fit. I get most of my pants at goodwill, and I just keep my eyes pealed for the Loft and the lucky brand mid rise pants. Good luck.
This discussion has been closed.