How to fail (I should know)

Mamasota
Mamasota Posts: 144
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
If I am an expert at anything, it is probably failing at weight loss. I have tried many times and failed just as many. But, hopefully, I have learned from my mistakes and I am happy to share some experience here.

1. If you start off with the attitude that you are going to lose that excess weight as fast as you can and eat less than the recommended calories and exercise like crazy, you are probably going to burn out and fail. You will have success at first but it won’t last. Setting realistic goals of 1-2 pounds average per week and eating enough to keep you metabolism up is a better plan. Some weeks you will lose more and some weeks you will lose less.
2. If you fail to plan, you are planning to fail. Get rid of the temptations in your house and have plenty of good nutritious food on hand. Plan meals ahead of time. Keep healthy snacks around. Feeling deprived will likely lead you back to your old habits. Look up restaurant menus online before you go out and have your order planned in advance.
3. Find an exercise plan you can live with. Start off slow and build up gradually. Even if you just start by walking 10 minutes a day, it’s a start.
4. Don’t give up. You may not lose as fast as you want. How long did it take you to put on the excess weight? You may plateau. Sometimes you body needs a break from the weight loss and you will plateau. This is not a time to give up. When you come off the plateau, your weight loss is often better. If you haven’t lost any weight in 3 weeks, adjust your plan. Try eating under your calories for 2 days and then over your calories for one (add the calories you didn’t eat for two days to the one day). Repeat this process for a week and see if it jump-starts your weight loss again. You can also add more exercise. Try walking for 10 minutes and then walking much faster for 2 minutes and repeat as much as you can. Even if you plateau for many weeks, please don’t give up. If you do, you will just climb right back to where you were. Isn’t it better to plateau at a smaller size than to start gaining again? Eventually, you will find what works for you.

I wrote this as a reminder to myself to use my past experience so that I can succeed this time. Wish me luck.

Replies

• momtofour
    momtofour Posts: 97 Member
    good luck :happy:
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    well said!
  • That's a good message,
    I have a few friends who are having problems like that, one is trying to loose weight too fast, and the other
    has plateaued and I think you are totally right. If you try to do something crazy you will mess yourself up and be more
    discouraged than if things go slow.
  • Thank you for sharing! And good luck to you! :)
  • Rachickidee
    Rachickidee Posts: 1,632 Member
    Thanks.
  • clahut
    clahut Posts: 211 Member
    Thanks for posting this. I am on one of those dreaded plateaus just now and while I am in no danger of quitting, it can be quite demoralising. Thanks for helping me see past it.

C
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    wow, lol, did you steal my game plan? I followed your same set of rules as well,and you couldnt have said it better. Especiall y, to have good food and snacks around as well as planning

One thing that has helped me from going insane, lol, is Patience

Really, I put this weight on one pound at a time,and its going to come off, one pound at a time

Excellent post, Ill be rooting for you............Lloyd
  • thanks for the encouragement and the reminder to not give up... I've been doing everything that I am supposed to be doing and the scale has not moved... Always under my calories workout 3-4 times per week.. UGGGHHH
  • Try eating a little more - sounds counterproductive but it might get your metabolism up again. Sometimes we try too hard. When I was attending Weight Watcher's meetings I remember people often being surprised by a weekly weight loss when they knew they had blown it one day. In fact, that bit of extra calories was a way of telling their bodies to get out of starvation mode - there really was going to be enough fuel. The calories this site recommends are based on the amount you need to keep your metabolism up and still lose weight. Try eating as close to the recommended amount as possible. Good luck. I hope you will emaill me with a success story soon.
  • Patience is a key - I really agree with you. I have been here before and know the consequences of not being patience (LOL).
  • hessond
    hessond Posts: 224 Member
    I agree with everyone else, nicely said!! It is a good reminder to keep my goals attainable, and this is really about making a lifestyle change instead of trying to just lose weight. My overall goal is to develop a healthy lifestyle, and be able to live a long, productive, and hopefully disease free life. I sometimes forget that. Thanks for sharing!!
This discussion has been closed.