Weighed 7lbs more according to doctor's scales???

Options
So I went to the doctor earlier this week and when I got on the scales, I almost passed out. Seven pounds more than I weighed a few days before.

Has this happened to anyone else??

My motivation has disappeared :(

Replies

• tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    It's just a number, your weight is what it is, your clothes still fit you the same.

That said, we all weigh heavier during the day than we do first thing in the morning. Lots of scales weigh differently, just need to be consistent with what scale you weigh on. Weight fluctuates all the time...don't let one point in time be an excuse to give up.
  • MickeyBoo
    MickeyBoo Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Just go by one set of scales that you know are accurate. Dr's scales are notoriously wrong if they are placed on carpet, are old and haven't been calibrated for a while. If you usually weigh first thing in the morning before food etc then you will always be heavier after eating and fully dressed.
  • starrylioness
    starrylioness Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    All scales have some variation. My doctor's office scales always says I'm lower than I really am, by about 5-6 pounds difference. Really, just keep weighing on your own scales and let THAT number be the one that counts. Don't stress it.
  • froggiebecky
    froggiebecky Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    You don't specify: was this the same scale? Or are you comparing numbers from two different scales?

The readings from different scales are not really relatable. Scale calibration, time of day, clothing, time since last meal, water, etc, all play a role. And if it's an old-school scale (where the numbers run across the top and the nurse taps it), different nurses could give a different result.

I wouldn't worry about it.
  • kkmalay
    kkmalay Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    dont freak out and quit, there are so many variables, different scales, time of the day and month (ovulation and period time) salty meals, irregular bowels, the list goes on, if it bothers you alot weight daily so you can see how much your weight fluctuates, I weight daily cause I was freaking out, all the best on your journey :)
  • claudineer
    claudineer Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Dr. scales are say you weigh more. That's life.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure this is exactly why I hate to go to the doctor. Chin up, Camper! Onward!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Unless you weigh naked and as soon as you get up (or without drinking or eating anything before going), of course you will weigh more. Totally normal.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    So I went to the doctor earlier this week and when I got on the scales, I almost passed out. Seven pounds more than I weighed a few days before.

Has this happened to anyone else??

My motivation has disappeared :(

My doctors scale also says I am a good 6-7 lbs heavier than my scale at home says. I don't go by the doctors scale. I go by my home scale because that is the one I use every day.
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Yeah, happens all the time. After my son was born and most of the baby weight was gone, I got on the scale there and it showed I was higher than the day I had him. They never calibrate their scales.
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it. If anything you should start to take measurements. That's the only thing that matters. No one can walk up to you say oh you must weight "xxx lbs/kg" but they'll say wow your a "Size X".
  • miller2010
    miller2010 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    A lot of the doctor's scales (at least mine) have the old scale where they slide the numbers across. Like somebody said, they are usually old, always need to be properly calibrated, and I can't get a proper reading either there because of all the clothes I am wearing.

Chin up! Happens to a lot of us!
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    OH NO I'M 7 POUNDS HEAVIER DESPITE BEING CONFIDENT OF THE FACT MY HEALTH IS IMPROVING AND I'M MAKING GOOD DECISIONS MY LIFE IS RUINED
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    OH NO I'M 7 POUNDS HEAVIER DESPITE BEING CONFIDENT OF THE FACT MY HEALTH IS IMPROVING AND I'M MAKING GOOD DECISIONS MY LIFE IS RUINED

This!! ^^^^^

Doctor's scales are always off!!
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I always weight myself in the morning without clothes the day of a doctor’s appointment, and again before leaving the house with clothes and without shoes, before going to his office.

There is usually a 4 lbs difference between my first weight in and the doctor’s scale, and about 2 lbs difference between my second weight in and the doctor’s scale reading. The difference is usually greater if the appointment is in the afternoon.

The medical assistant is so used to this that she always ask me for my own readings to enter in my chart. So you can do the same and determine how much the difference between scales is. No need to be discouraged.
  • crt714
    crt714 Posts: 19
    Options

ROFL At the wrong moment in time, this is EXACTLY what we're thinking. And we WILL go home and eat the entire [insert gluttonous, calorie-laden food]. Heck, if I miss my morning coffee, I'll think this!!! Body image will make us more irrational than raging, hormonal teenagers. :happy: :sad: :huh: :explode: :indifferent:
  • florentinovillaro
    florentinovillaro Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I try to use 1 accurate scale for measuring. I weigh in naked, so the added clothing will cause a 3-5 lb addition. Also, I can have 5-10lb swings up and down just on water, time of day I weigh in, before or after workouts or fasting. Look at weight loss long term.
  • ItsABadger
    ItsABadger Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks, you guys are amazing :)