How often is best to weigh yourself?

brittanydaniel79
brittanydaniel79 Posts: 226
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
I've heard mixed responses about this. Some say to weigh once a week, others say to weigh once a month. I personally like the idea of weighing once a month--I think that could be less discouraging.

What do you think?

Replies

• momtofour
    momtofour Posts: 97 Member
    hi, i think its down to personal choice, but i couldnt wait a month if i dont see something shifting every week (and i have only just started) id get so frustrated and loose faith,
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    I would do it once a week that way if something on your diet isnt working (and you are gaining weight per say) you would catch it sooner.
    You should be more positive, everytime you get on the scale its not going to be discouraging, you might get some suprises, but its more of a tool to gauge how you are doing.
  • RaeN81
    RaeN81 Posts: 534 Member
    Once a week at the same time works great. Invest in a scale you are confident with. I actually go to weight loss support group that weighs me every week and many times I've thought I would see no change but have been pleasantly surprised. I suggest taking your measurements the same day you go on the scale so that you can also gage your success this way. It's something I wish I would have done for those weeks where less was lost.
  • Kekibird
    Kekibird Posts: 1,122 Member
    I agree that it is a personal choice.

If you are trying to create a diet consisting of foods that work with your body, weighing once a week might help to see fluctuations in your weight when a food does not agree with you.

If you are in general trying to lose, once a month works.

Women probably want to consider weighing in once a month, a week after their feminine issues have ended. Also weighing in at the same time of the day each time helps with consistency.

Cheers!

Katie (aka Kekibird)
  • Bellydance
    Bellydance Posts: 105 Member
    I just watched a TV show and the fitness guy encouraged people to weight once a day. It gives incentive to see one way or another how you eat that day. I only log once a week, and don't weight everyday, but this morning I got on and the scale is up a pound which, consequently, made me prepare more vegetables and less of other foods for lunch today. But it is definitely a personal preference. Try everything and see what works for you.
  • mrsfloisand
    mrsfloisand Posts: 254 Member
    Hello! I agree that its personal preference on how often you should weigh in. I have learned from my personal experiences that waiting a month does not work for me. I did P90X back in March and I didn't weigh myself from one phase to another, which is about a month apart, and when I did finally weight myself again, I had gained lots of weight. I think weighing myself every week keeps me accountable for myself, and remind me that I shouldn't eat that extra bite or two or have that snack that I really don't need. Does that make sense? Hope this if helpful to you:happy:
  • this is the major thing I struggle with...I am so afraid to get on the scale that I've not weighed myself in 2 weeks.

I still log all my food and just workout and keep telling myself that it's ok not to look until I'm ready.

I think I might go for the once every 2 weeks option...I'm not sure yet. I think I am going to start measuring myself on a weekly basis though. Maybe if I see the inches coming off I'll be more encouraged.

Jenn
  • Ahzuri
    Ahzuri Posts: 272 Member
    I weigh myself every day and just keep in mind that my weight is going to fluctuate from day to day (Even hour to hour!) and on Fridays I take my Official weight, I don't think I could stand going a whole month just to weigh myself. For me the scale motivates me to do better, if I see myself losing weight it makes me proud and if I see me gaining it makes me want to work out even more! I do take pictures of myself to compare every month so I think that helps as well.
  • Douniap
    Douniap Posts: 841
    whatever works for you as long as you won't get obssesed with it .. Some people get so stuck on the day to day weigh in or weekly to the point that they get upset and lose focus on the big picture: Eating healthy, keep track of the food intake and the quality of the food that goes in, staying hydrated, staying active and positive in life :bigsmile:
    I personally weigh in twice a month, but mainly i focus on how i fit in my clothes..
    To your health
  • Cytherea
    Cytherea Posts: 515 Member
    I weigh myself totally randomly. I generally go a few weeks without weighing. And then I start getting anxious about it and I feel like I reallllllly need to know- I do it the next morning. It has worked out really well for me. Trying to keep track of the tiny changes that you see (everyday) is just frustrating. The scale going up .2 isn't that big of a deal, but it may seem like it!
  • maroon58
    maroon58 Posts: 289 Member
    i like to weigh myself every morning. lets me know what i need to work on and helps me stay on track. i only log my official weight on tuesdays. i know weigh can fluncutate but its nice to know where you are.
This discussion has been closed.